Sign in to follow this  
FRIDAYSCARUSOE

trying to get hi beams to work(1990 reatta)

The headlights work but when i pull back on the dimmer switch the hi beams dont go on.

Is the dimmer switch suppose to make a clicking noise when pulled back or a notch feeling?

i replaced the bcm..still no hi beams

any help will be great

There are a few possibilities.

(1) The bulbs could be burnt out

(2) The wire at the headlight connection could be broken.

It is somewhat common that the wire to the back of

the bulb get routed incorrectly, this puts a strain on

the wire as it enters the connector and especially if

it breaks on the drivers side, both light will fail.

(3) The "HI-LO" relay could be bad, it is located in the

front of the console

Look at the service manual...Start there. Look for codes and schematics. Hi/low relay is on the right side console under the access cover, easy to switch out with a different one with the same part no. If you need to change out the dimmer switch on the column, do not be afraid. It is a project though. The multi-function switch does not always have a distinct click, mine did not. Good luck to you. Steve

If the high beam indicator on the dash is coming on, the signal should be being sent to the relay. Someone is going to have to start tracing the signal with a test light or preferably a DVM.

I had a problem not too long ago with my 90 reatta. When I pulled back on the switch to turn the high beams on; the dash would brighten and the high beams wouldn't turn on. I also found out that I didn't have parking lights. My friend and I took the tail end and the front end apart to check all the conections; they were all fine in the front, but in the back, one little light just didn't want to light up. So we made a better conection and all the lights worked just fine after that. So my suggestion would be to check all the conections before doing anything too drastic. Good luck!