Does anyone remember me?

Guest SalG (Sal Grenci)

Guest SalG (Sal Grenci)

Hi folks, Some of you will remember me, I was here every day a few years back. A quick update. (Sorry Terry Bond, for the delay)

I have been busy of late with my three kids, and charitable work. As some of you may know my daughter, Olivia 4 1/2, has Autism. She has been receiving services for almost 3 years, first through a county, (Suffolk) and New York State program for early intervention for children under 3. We had speech, Special Ed, occupational thearpy (O/T)and physical therapy (P/T) at home. We then got the Autism/PDD NOS results and she has been in a special day school since June 2006. She is doing well, still some behavoir problems and stiming (negitive behavior). She is in a 6:1:3.5, which means 6 kids, 1 teacher, 3.5 aids, but gets 1:1 by our fundraising. I am the VP of fundraising and we have a goal of $250,000 per year. We had a big dance in April w/ 760 people and raised $200,000 and October 13, we did a fund raiser in a bar. (Yes, I know what happened that day, I did not pick the date.) I was in that town in Pa. for one day Wednesday and drove home in Thurs. rain. We raised $25,000 by getting $20 at the door, a 50/50, a chinese auction and a big raffle.

In addition to all that, I have almost 3 year old boy twins that were born 11 weeks early because of pre eclampcia (heart rate, blood pres up, lever and kidney activity down, wife in ICU for 3 days) and the boys in a level 4 NICU for 8 weeks. They were 3 lbs 15 oz and 2 lbs 3.5 oz. They have learning delays, not Autism related. We just got them into the same school as Olivia into a 12:1:1 (12 kids, 1 teacher, 1 aid, and O/T and speech.)They had eye, ear problems now resolved and too many other things to list. They are now very healthy, except for pulling a TV on themselves and one broken leg for 6.5 weeks in a cast, doing better now. I did make Philly this past Feb and Macungie, Pa. and saw some of you. I hope to be more active in the future. Tonight we have elections in my local indy club and I am off the board for the first time in 16 yrs. (I was sec, tres, board, pres 4 x's and 5.5 years as newsletter ed, plus sec and newletter in the Vanderbilt Cup Region).

Welcome Back Sal, Our prays and thoughts still go out to you and your family for all that you have been through. It takes a lot care, time and patience and by the sounds of it you are doing pretty well. Please keep us posted.

Who can forget Sal??

Hi Sal,

Glad to hear the kids are doing better healthwise and all your hard work is paying off. Was good to see you at Hershey this year. Hope you'll be able to make it to Philly again this year.

Our thoughts and prayers to you and the family.

It was good to visit with you again Sal, we know you have been thru a lot but you folks have really stuck with it and done some wonderful things in the face of adversity. We commend your family for working so hard on behalf of others too. We often forget that even among our hobby friends, there are private lives that are not easy, and these old cars and thke friendships that go along with them provide the diversion that keeps us sane - you are a welcome addition to the forum and any other old car gathering and we hope to see you at Philly again this year. Keep in touch!

Terry

Hi Sal,

You are truly unforgettable, believe me, I've tried. smile.gif

I'll especially never forget the time we went on that tour in my grandfather's model A, and you put the car into a four wheel drift trying to make a turn that we almost missed. Getting that much tire squeal out of an A was very exciting to say the least. The only reason you were diving was because I was too young to have a license.

I'm glad your kids are doing well. As a recent father myself, and a teacher, I have an enormous respect for parents of children with disabilities, especially parents that do so much more than their part to make a difference.

I know a little bit about autism,too, as my son is just 26 years old. I am quite happy to share whatever I have learned that you may think is useful to you. You get a lot of experience dealing with some very good people, and you become very experienced in dealing with pseudo-professionals.

One thing that you should note is that Asperger's Syndrome is highly heritable, and autism is on the same spectrum. I only learned about 5 years ago that I am Aspergers, which I consider an extrordinary advantage in many ways, but with gaps in social ability/intelligence. I recognise indications in biographical details of many people who were extraordinary in the early motor industry that they were likey Asperger's syndrome.

Cognitive developement is a similar process in both Aspergers spectrum and neurotypical people; and there are important things you can do as parents to develope advantage.

Obsessional interests and the extraordinary memory that goes with them are the greatest advntage that Aspergers spectrum people have, and which determine their success in life.

Developing self-esteem is hugely important. Rhett cooks tea for himself, his younger brother, and I, once a week with the supervision only of someone fron Dept of Human Services. This is company and conversation only, and Rhett can make a top pizza without looking at the book. This adds two inches to his stature (figuratively).

I am happy to share with you anything you wish of what no-one was able to tell me, and I had to work out for myself.

Regards, Ivan Saxton

I can feel for you Sal as I have two boys in wheel chairs. They suffer from OI (Ostiogenisis Imperfecta) which is a brittle bone disease. I also have a full time aid for them which I am very thankful for. It is not always easy as I am also a single parent and have been since they were 3 and 5. They are now 11 and 13. (Already???) Sounds like you are doing a good job. Keep it up! smile.gif Dave!

Guest SalG (Sal Grenci)

Thanks to everyone for the comments, I hope to be back on the DF more frequently.

Note to Steve Braverman: I do not remember that turn in the Model A the same way you do, I remember it being a little bit more dangerous! Sal