Sign in to follow this  
oakland

Battery trickle charger

I store my cars for the winter, and have been removing the batteries. This year, I plan on leaving the batteries in, so I can periodically start the cars up. What is the best way to maintain the batteries. I see float trickle chargers and battery tenders advertised. Prices range from about $7 all the way up to $70 and more. Float trickle chargers are less expensive as a whole than battery tenders. Both claim to do the job. What is the difference between a float trickle charger and a battery tender. Float trickle charger adds claim that they are tenders also. Thanks for the input.

I use the Battery Tender brand,the model is Battery Tender plus 12 volt/8 volt/6 volt models only for my Harley and will get one for my car once it is fully restored, I like it. I think it was in the $50-70 range. It charges the bat up to full power and then goes to a maintenance charge and keeps the bat fully charged for as long as you like. I also saw on one of the car shows (might have been My Clasic Car) that they now have one for multi vehicles from one charger.

Hope this helps.

Trace Burris

BCA #43237

57 Special 2 door Sedan in restoration process

I have Battery Tender Brand also a 6v for my Packard and a 12v one for my Harley. Only problem I have is with these new gel batteries (for the Harley) they seem not to last as long as the old liquid style.

The Packard battery has been sitting an a piece of wood in my garage now for over two years. I check the water level once a week and also check the voltage and it seems to hold charge. Will see in a year or so once I get her all put back together.

Trace do you have a gel battery for your Harley? If so how long does it last for you?

I have been using the Battery Tender brand of chargers for a number of years now in my collector vehicles, tow vehicle and my car trailer.

There are a number of different models to choose from.

The Battery Tender web site has information about the various models and is located at: http://www.batterytender.com/

I have purchased the last couple of Battery Tenders and some accessories from the following web site: http://www.accwhse.com/batteryt.htm

They seem to have VERY competitive prices.

The 25ft. extension cables also come in handy for keeping the batteries in my car trailer charged during the car show season. I also use one of these cables to keep my tow vehicle charged in my driveway while the charger itself is in the garage (it is not the waterproof model).

For me, these chargers work VERY WELL. I am not connected in any way with Battery Tender or the accwhse.com web site.

I am just a very satisfied customer.

Hi Tom, I have a 2003 Softtail with the sealed maintenance free lead/calcium and sulfuric acid battery per the owners manual. Have not talked to many people about the gel battery, but if I here anything I will let you know.

Happy riding.

Thanks

Trace

BCA #43237

Thanks Trac

My is a 1995 Dyna Convertible. I bought it used with 1,200 mile on it in 1997 and put around 10,000 in 98 since then I am lucky if I even put 10,000 on it.

Guest imported_JPIndusi

I have a 1948 Buick and the battery is 9 years old. I also have a 53 Buick, battery is 5 years old. Here is the procedure I use in regard to batteries.

1. I use a disconnnect switch for both cars. The knife switches are the best since they can handle the current needed for a 6 volt starter.

2. I use Battery Tender brand on both cars. After each trip I connect the battery tender and leave it on until the green light comes on and then I disconnect.

3. I add only distilled water as needed, generally twice a year.

4. At the first sign of high water usage I check the charging voltage and replace the regulator if defective.

5. I try to drive each car at least once a month during the winter for about 30 minutes. I can usually get one dry, not so cold, day even in January to March.

6. If I expect that I may not get to a car for 4 weeks or more, I connect the Battery Tender to the battery then plug the Battery Tender into an inexpensive light timer. I set the timer to be on one hour on each day. This will keep the battery charged and not run it dry or overcharge in case something goes wrong with the Battery Tender.

Good luck.

Joe, BCA 33493

I use Battery tenders.

Using one all the time on my Motorcycles has doubled the battery life. (Even on gel cells) A BMW with ABS it very critical that the battery have at least 12 volts during cranking or the you get an ABS fault. I used to replace the battery every 2 years, the one in the bike now is 4 years old a still going.

I also have a 6 volt Tender on my 55 Thunderbird and the original style battery has lasted 6 years and still going strong.

I also have one in my Trailer to keep the 12 volt battery up and ready.(used for lights and winch)

With the cost of Batteries, I think a Tender is money well spent.

OOPS

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jay Wolf</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I also have one in my Trailer to keep the 12 volt battery up and ready.(used for lights and wench)

With the cost of Batteries, I think a Tender is money well spent. </div></div>

I agree especially for the "wench"...tell us more. smile.gif

I use Tenders also. My AGM battery in my '02 Harley Police bike is the original from the factory, produced May 02. I credit a large part of it's old age and the batterys of it's garage mates to the Tenders. Also, my Craftsman garden tractor's battery is still going, and the salesman at Sears told me when I bought the tractor in '04 the battery would only last one year, and I would have to replace it by year two. Still going strong today.

I have a "real" battery tender, that was around $60...and an inexpensive "maintainer" from Wal-Mart. It was something like $12. I have used both for a number of years and they do the job.

I made a couple changes that others may find helpful. These maintainers use a plug that looks like a two pin trailer wire connector. I went to Radio Shack and got some more of these connectors, as well as some clips and and a cigarette light plug.

My 2000 Viper sits all winter, and with the battery in a difficult location, I made up an additional connector with a long lead and a cigarette lighter plug so that I can maintain the battery without even opening the hood. (You'd have to make sure that your lighter circuit is hot all the time) I have used this for years with success.

For the others, I have leads made that have clamps that look like small battery charge clips. In most cases, I can hook this up...drop the lead through the engine compartment to the floor...then plug it into the charger.

I agree with using the Battery Tender. Works well. I also have a Schumacher that's both 6v & 12v. Does the same job.

Rog