'90 Third Brake Light-Out

Guest Ranger

Guest Ranger

This brake light has been out since I bought the car in Nov. I'm heading north with the car in 3-4 weeks. It's the unit that's on the fiberglass convertable boot. I removed it, hoping to find a bulb burned out, surprised to find four bulbs, two looked a little black but the elements appeared intact. Checker Auto wanted $7.49 each for the little bulbs, that took care of the R & R. Where would I start to look? The body mounted brake lights work just fine, one of the bulbs was tested, OK. Don't know a thing about electrical circuits, have to tell the tech. if there is some quirk to this unit?<BR>Thank you,<BR>Jim

The "high level stop light" gets its 12v directly from the brake switch. This switch has two sets of contacts. one goes to the "high" light and the other goes to the turn/hazard assembly for the other brake lights.<P>You could have a bad switch or the wrong switch could have been installed by a unknowing repair person. The wire at the switch is light blue.<P>On the small bulbs for the "high" light.<BR>Go to your home improvement store, in the lighting department they will have the small halogen 12v lights in 10 and 20 watts. I believe the 10 watt size is correct.<BR>They are usually packaged 2 per blister pack for around $6.

Guest Ranger

Thank you folks. I'll bring the whole string into the tech. on Monday. Barney, I checked at Lowes in Mesa, you called it, the bulbs were there, in the decorative lawn lighting section, $4.25 each, a savings of $3.25 per bulb. My tech. was so impressed by the step by step instructions I brought him for the last project from this site, he asked that I look-up everything relating to the current problem on the car before I bring it in (the real plus is that it saves me money).<BR>Thank you again, guys,<P>Jim

Did the same today used 20 watt looked the same as OEM,10 watt was not as bright. $3.00 each, saved $7.00each THANKS!!!!! shocked.gif" border="0shocked.gif" border="0

Guest Ranger

Picked-up the 20 watt bulbs at Home Depot, all four of the original bulbs were bad, the power and ground checked out, the old bulbs looked OK and the elements appeared to be in one piece. Replaced all four today for $11.00 vs $30.00. Thanks again to BREH, Barney & Rattaboy for the input.<P>Jim