manuals on ebay

Barney Eaton

The "new product" and "preliminary" service manuals are designed to be used in conjunction with the manual from the previous year - only elements that have changed are included.<P>For example I have both a "new product" and a "final" for my '88. In this case it is designed to be used with the '87 Riviera manual. The "NP" is about half the thickness of the "final". <P>What is missing ? The entire transmission section for one since the 440T4 was unchanged. Have noticed missing parts for suspension and a/c as well.<P>The other annoyance is that there is no indication of what is missing, no page that says "For xxx see the '87 FSM", it is just not there. <P>Now the "final" is somewhat misleading - for example I believe my "final" is dated Oct, 87, nowhere near the end of the model year. <P>For changes during the year you really need the Technical Service Bulletins (TSBs) - generally a loose-leaf binder about three inches thick (if buy one, make sure it has the index in front, are often missing since was last to be issued). Is amazing how many of the problem items mentioned here are found in the TSBs.<P>Finally, to be really complete (particularly if using GMPartsDirect), a parts book is a great help. I always like at least a yeaar after production to include supercisions. Here you are lucky since the last paper books were issued in 1993 and the 196-1993 Buick "E" book covers all Reattas.<P>Will mention that while all of the cars look similar, each year is quite different under the skin. Even the 88s and 89s have major wiring differences. You really need the right manual.

This is further proof that education is expensive but no education is even more expensive. I bought one of these manuals some time ago (on ebay) and stuck it away figuring I had gotten one of those elusive manuals that the oldtimers here constantly refer to. Now my bubble is burst when I discover mine is the "New Product Manual". Oh well, at least I was able to recently score a Parts and Illustration Book on ebay as well. Is there some source other than ebay for these complete manuals?

Only trouble with Helm is that they want full list price. Are new but in the '50s a new FSM (from Helm) was under $10. Inflation I guess.<P>At the same time I would not mind having a '90 "New Product" since I have the '89 FSM and do not have a '90 car - am really just interested in seeing what the differences were.