Retro Brake Booster for TDC

Guest krohninc

Guest krohninc

Has anyone retro fitted a brake booster and master cylinder into a Chrysler TC? I tried a Lebaron booster but the diameter is too large. I am on the lookout for a booster and master cylinder that will retro fit without too many modifications. Any information would be appreciated.

Hi,

I believe Hemi did it to his car; but I'm not positive. You can ask him.And as I recall further, one of the members here on this forum did it, about 4 months ago.

Hey Folks, why do we always go to the LeBaron for parts exchanges. THE TC IS BUILT ON A MUCH MODIFIED DODGE DAYTONA PLATFORM

Good luck Y'ALL, Lou

Guest StudeDude 01

Kroh----see Twin Cam Fan post from 6/28/07 re: brake component options. He obviously has some expertise in this area. He mentions Lebaron and Daytona items as possibilities. Bear in mind that these are all Kcars and might have different parts which will interchange. Also bear in mind that the Teves system is one of the unique items in this car which separates it from the others. I think it best to keep it original but do as you see fit.

Krohninc

I had an'89 that I bought with a regular pwr booster that I thought was how the car was made. Only found out thru the fourm that there was a different system. I don't know where the parts came from and I don't have the car anymore. The brakes were fine. The first owner probaly did it. Joe47

• 4 weeks later...
Guest krohninc

I have now installed a 7Inch hotrod booster and master cylinder. Had to make an adapter plate for the booster to fit into the firewall of the tc. My problem now is that a turbo engine does not have enough vacuum to power the double diafram booster. Next step is to purchase a 12volt vacuum pump. Should be ready to go then. Will keep posted as to progress

The stock turbo motor has between 12-14"hg of vacuum at idle depending on the condition of the rings and such, I can't imagine that's not enough vac to run any aftermarket booster. You're running the stock camshaft? Something big and lumpy with tons of overlap would kill the vacuum... I applaud your ingenuity in fixing the brakes your own way but I have to ask, are you trying to keep the ABS function or are you doing away with that whole Teves booster? If you are just going to a non ABS system, did you think about using the componants from any of the half dozen or so Chrysler FWD models that would adapt strait over?

Alan

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mtworkshop</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Give us a hint. What Chrysler brake systems fit? Please. </div></div>

If you are doing away with the ABS and going with a manual master cylinder, here is a partial list:

LeBaron, Laser, Daytona, Shadow, Sundance, Duster, Dynasty, Spirit, Acclaim, Mini Van...

I'll check with a local friend of mine that just ditched his Teves system and find out exactly what parts needed to be swapped. I think he went to the larger 11.25" rotors while he was at it. I'll see if he has part numbers cool.gif

Alan

Guest krohninc

The booster that I tried to fit onto the TC was too large of a diameter to fit. It was a 89 Lebaron, that is why I went to a 7inch. Also the operating connecting rod to the brake pedal on the Teves system is not centered,whereas the Lebaron and others were. Also the lebaron operating rods were too short as compared to the teves operating rod. Most double diafram boosters require 15 to 20inches of vacuum. Most turbo powered cars do not have enough vacuum to power any booster properly. This one of the reasons a vacuum kit is avaiable for people with turbo charged engines and heavy cams. I hope this explains why I took this route.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: krohninc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The booster that I tried to fit onto the TC was too large of a diameter to fit. It was a 89 Lebaron, that is why I went to a 7inch. Also the operating connecting rod to the brake pedal on the Teves system is not centered,whereas the Lebaron and others were. Also the lebaron operating rods were too short as compared to the teves operating rod. Most double diafram boosters require 15 to 20inches of vacuum. Most turbo powered cars do not have enough vacuum to power any booster properly. This one of the reasons a vacuum kit is avaiable for people with turbo charged engines and heavy cams. I hope this explains why I took this route. </div></div>

I was pretty sure the local guy I know who did this used all LeBaron stuff... I didn't know about the operating rod offset though, let me call him at work todayh and ask him about the offste/rod length/booster size.

Alan

OK, I called Pat on the phone, he checks in here but not often and doesn't post because of some experiences where list members tend to 'pick apart' someones post that is trying to help frown.gif I told him that was some other board, the AACA/TC list folks don't roll that way cool.gif

Anyway, he did use an 89 LeBaron with 4 wheel discs for a donor. From that he got the booster, the master cylinder, and the hard lines with the proportioning valve. The lines were replaced because the Teves uses a 'bubble' style flare end instead of the industry standard 'double flare' fittings. He did say that he lenghted the actuation rod either 2.25" or 2.5", he just welded on an extension. The booster and master cylinder he assured me were a direct fit. Was the LeBaron parts you tried to use parts from an earlier H body platform or the later J body platform? I asked him about any offset troubles or interference from the booster, he said it 'just bolted right up' One unexpected thing was that the driver's side rear hard line was to long and he cut out a few inches and added a union to shorten it. ABS light of course came on so he pulled the bulb but the red 'brake' light went out on it's own after bleeding the system. I dont think it would matter but his car is a DOHC/5 spd.

Let us know how your project moves along cool.gif

Alan

Guest krohninc

TwinCamFan

Let you know that I now have brakes on my TC. You are correct about the vacuum being sufficent. I won't go into my problem with that. However, the 7"inch diameter vacuum booster works I think better than the larger diameter Lebaron booster. It was too big with no clearance on the sides. In summation I made an adapter plate,extended the booster operating rod,extended some of the brake lines and wala!!! Brakes Not and easy job under the dash but well worth the effort. Thanks to all for your input.

Right on Krohn, another TC saved from the 'it's-a-good-car-but-the-brakes-don't-work-anymore fate frown.gif There are sooo many TC's in this country sitting in driveways and garages because the brakes are shot eek.gif Now just swap in some 11.25" front rotors from a LeBaron GTC with 16" rims or a Daytona IROC... You have to weld on a tab for the ABS sensor and use the knuckle/caliper/hanger from the donor car.

Alan

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I saw my name mentioned so I better speak up. Alan is partially right about my swap. I have the parts off the '89 LeBaron with 4 wheel disc brakes, but that's as far as it has come.

You guys who play with your cars for fun have a lot more time than me. I always seem to have someone who wants me to work on THEIR car, so very little time for mine. I'm not complaining.

I'm surprised I got the 2.5 Turbo intercooled engine into my '85 Laser. Must have been an 'off week.'

I hope to get to the ABS swap in the near future. I'll give a 'blow by blow' description IF I get to it.