E-Brake ratcheting mechanism-90

Richard S

I can see that the cable just sits at the forward holder of the ratcheting mechanism but has become disconnected from the ratcheting mechanism. The end of the cable has not broken off. When foot pedal is depressed, the ratchet does not engage. Does this mean the gears are broken? According to the manual, there are three nuts olding the mechanism to the body. Has anyone removed this baby? Aside from the contortions necessary to work down under, is there any tricks to this? What should I remove to make removal and installation easier?

I have the same problem. Everything's attached, but the ratcheting gadget that engages the teeth of the wheel doesn't engage them. The spring and all are still in place, and I can physically push the arm into contact with the teeth and it will work - one stroke, but then I have to reset it again - one more stroke.

It really looks like a major chore to remove it.

On the top of the lever there is a spring loaded pawl that engages the notches on the wheel-like mechanism that pulls the cable. For whatever mysterious reason, the spring no longer pulls the pawl into place on the wheel, and it just moves up and down freely. If I reach behind the setting lever I can physically push the pawl into place and it will work, but as soon as it's released the pawl retracts.

If I spent some time with it I think I could come up with a Rube Goldberg fix, but in the meantime the right headlight is acting goofy. It closes and then comes half way back up. I think I'll attack that first.