Status of '29 645 Sport Coupe Restoration Project

Guest Speedster

Guest BillP

Rick,

My neighbor has a machine that grinds the shoe down to a pre-set arc. The setting would be to make the shoe arc match the drum diameter. Maybe someone has one of these near you if the belt sanding deal doesn't work out.

Bill

Guest imported_Speedster

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> The setting would be to make the shoe arc match the drum diameter.</div></div>

The strange thing is that all 4 shoe assemblies were dragging at 2 almost identical spots, (upper-front and lower-rear for front brakes) and (lower-front and upper-rear) for rear brakes), since they are rotated 90.deg. So sanding or cutting them in a perfect circle would not be the Best solution, even tho the drums are a perfect circle. It seems that sanding them only in the areas that are dragging would result in a more even pressure around the complete assembly when brakes are applied, I hope. The geometry of these 3-shoe brakes is much different than modern 2-shoe brakes, I guess. And I don't want to remove any lining material, where Not needed.

I got the last 2 sanded this morning, I'll try to get everything back together today and give it a try tomorrow.

Oops, I forgot I need to do some paint on back-plates repair first. smirk.gif

Guest imported_Speedster

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrbartlett</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> starting by adjusting the big nut on each backing plate first, before moving to the cables and levers? </div></div>

Yes, I think the 'big nut' you are talking about is the locking-nut for the 'Adjusting cam', which centers and positions 2 of the shoes in each drum, that I was refering to in a previous post. (elongated hole in picture of shoes assembly)

Unless you're talking about the 'Big Nut' writing this ??? grin.gif

Guest imported_Speedster

Yes, if you can keep the 1 guide bolt at the top then 1 is fine but if the drum wants to spin 2 would be a Big help when lining up the lug-bolts.

But it may make putting the Heavy wheel on the guides more difficult? I'll try to find another bolt the correct size and 'check it out'. wink.gif

Guest imported_Speedster

So far I've not found another bolt the correct size, length and thread to make another guide bolt. I've also not found the correct fittings, which I think I have somewhere, to finish routing the new fuel lines in the 626. So looks like I'll be making a trip to the Hardware store. I need to get the '34 Ford on the road anyway to check out it's new carb.

• 2 weeks later...