Sign in to follow this  
Rob1960

Windshield crank-out mechanism -mid 30's Dodge/Plymouth

I have a 1936 Dodge, with a broken windshield crank-out <span style="text-decoration: underline">mechanism</span>. Can anyone tell me which year models and which MOPAR makes this mechanism would be interchangable with?

Also, could someone tell me fairly specifically how to remove my old broken one? Thanks, Rob

You need to pull the dash. If you take the front seat out (or at least I would) you might be able to lay on the floor and get to the two nuts that are between the dash and the body itself.

You might be able to take the windshiled surrounds off then take the screws that you can see from the front below the windshield and the screws on either side if the lower dash that bolt just in front of the doors. Remove the screws that work the vent from the bottom of the dash , some cars will have other items bolted to the bottom of the dash. Then pull it out far enough to get the crank mech. out.

The screws that will give you the most trouble are the ones that hold the strap to the bottom of the windshield.

I have one apart now and if you want pics I can send them. Although I dont know if I can figure out how to attatch to this forum so send an email addy.

Good luck,,,JACK

<span style="font-size: 20pt"><span style="color: #FF0000">I still need a fuel fill tube for one of these...</span></span>

This is great information. The part came out just as you've described. Now I've got to figure out where to get a new part. The cog-wheel teeth are stripped on my old one. All suggestions greatly appreciated. Robt

My weekend looks pretty busy. I will try to get you some photos early in the week. It sounds like you already have it figured out though.

I will dig thru my junk, I might just have one.

I know that I have one for parts if nothing else.

JACK

<span style="font-size: 17pt"> <span style="color: #FF0000">Sure could use a good fuel fill tube !!!</span></span>