WTB 1932 Deluxe 8 spark plug wire loom holder

tbirdman

Don't know. I have to check the parts book. I believe the length should be around 24". Mine is around 3" too short where someone chopped off one end. It's presentable, but a sharp Packard eye will detect the shorten part.

Also looking for a 32 air cleaner decal?

I looked at the parts book. It didn't make sense as the part number that ID the holder was not listed under a 903 or 902. I suspect the holder may be different between the two as 1) each plug wire has about a 1" difference and 2) the holder is held in place by the head bolts which I assume the spacing might be different between the two.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Restorer32</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do you know the correct length? I will check the parts lists Monday. If the Standard and Deluxe used the same holder I can probably help you. </div></div>

Did you ever check your parts list. I think a straight 8 might fit as the pictures I saw on a straight eight showed the loom holder looking longer on the straight 8 engine block than what appears on a deluxe eight which makes sense since the deluxe eight block is longer and the same size loom holder would appear to be shorter on it.

Part # 185421 "Ignition high tension cable tube assembly" is the same for all 901 thru 904 engines. I guess now you want me to check if I have an extra, huh? '31s and earlier were round tubes. The '32 requires a rectangular tube. Good question about the head bolt mounting tabs. I'll dig one out and measure the spacing. You do the same with your block and we will compare notes.

The correct holder for the '31 is round and nickle plated. The correct holder for the '32, which is the same for all 901-904 engines, is rectangular and is painted black. The overall length is 27". The ones I have have a mounting hole spacing of 18 3/4" center to center. Mine are specifically for the 900, which is a different part # but only because of the mounting hole spacing. Everyone says that the 900 block and head are the same as the 902 but they are definitely different. Bottom half of the engines are the same, only the cylinder section and head differ because the 900 has the thermostat in the head unlike your car. You would only need to change the mounting tabs to use a 900 holder on your engine. In all other respects they are identical as far as I know.

Interesting 32 I think my is original to my car but not positive. Both of the family members that have own the car before me have passed on so I can't ask to see if it was replaced at one time or another.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Restorer32</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> You would only need to change the mounting tabs to use a 900 holder on your engine. In all other respects they are identical as far as I know. </div></div>

Let me consider that. I have a possible lead on correct spacing one. With my talents, I think moving the tab for correct spacing would be disaster though could easily done with some with metal working skills. smile.gif

Guest 1956Packard

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Restorer32</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The correct holder for the '31 is round and nickle plated. The correct holder for the '32, which is the same for all 901-904 engines, is rectangular and is painted black. </div></div>

Just to confirm, I'm not sure that all 31's are nickle plated.

Geoff

• 3 weeks later...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: packards42</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I like one some time for another project car i have. </div></div>

I may have one available for sale. That's the short one I currently have. If you are interested give me a PM, though I won't sell until I know I got the one I bought just now in hand.

Guest Indianfour

Sir: Did you have any luck in finding a spark-plug cable holder for your Packard?

I have one in my spare parts box that measures twenty seven inches long with the mounting holes twenty one and three eighths center to center.

At one time, I owned a 1933 convertible coupe standard eight and also a 1931 sedan four door. How and where I came by this piece, I'll never remember! Maybe at Hershey back in the Sixties! Don of Edinburgh

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Packard32</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is the wiring loom gloss black? I'm pretty sure mine has the original paint on it, and it looks much more gloss than semi-gloss... thanks, B </div></div>

Per the PI judging it should be black.

Got the loom in and for future reference the mounting holes width are different for a Standard 8 vs a Deluxe 8. Looks like it's just a matter of moving the mounting brackets which involves jome grinding of the exiting welds and moving to the correct spacing for a deluxe 8 which will be one of my next project. I will probably take it to a machine shop as I don't want to ruin this rare piece with my welding skills smirk.gif