Plastic trim/Louz

carhop

Be Advised that there was a change in the style of the trim around the edge of the hardtop at the rear. My 91 had a standard type edge trim that just slips over the edge of the roof all the way around but my 89 had that same type trim that was permanently attached to the bottom roof seal that seals the roof to the tonneau cover.

Hi JoAnn,

I Googled "Trimco" and came up with wood trimfor doors etc.

Give me the complete web address that you can "copy & paste from your explorer address line to your message to me. Thanks, Lou

Look at the 2 little stringy pieces in the middle. Those are the ends of the outside edge moulding that you see at the bottom of the hardtop at the stainless on the sides. They extend all the way from side to side but the portion under the big rear window is made as part of the weatherstrip, it doesn't come apart on this 89 top. On my 91, those stringy pieces were the same size all the way around the sides and back of the top, and were separate from the weatherstrip under the hardtop. I can't think of a clearer way to describe it than that.

Hi JoAnn,

You done good, I'm going to copy & paste that in my address line, and I should see what you saw.

David's picture: you have to immagine that the heavy black is the rubber weatherstrip, it is one piece, it is connected across the top where thw window would meet it, it is disconnected where the back of the window would seal against it, then it would go all around the bottom(Back) and then come up the other side behind the window, (it would then be the part that is still glued) and that part woulg be on top of the window when it's rolled up..

Now the part that you are questioning, is the thin stuff hanging down in the window, then the center part is stuck to the "Top Rubber" where it would go under the window, and then the other side, is hanging on the other side..

What David is showing is that on one of his cars. it seems like the rubber weatherstrip that goes under the Top, and seals the bottom when it is installed. Is connected to that Trim piece that goes around the bottom of the top, and I believe that's the piece you want to replace. Lou

Hey David,

That fiberglass top was probably made by a subcontractor. Consider; Italian subcontractor, Italian artistry, a little effort, and some black weatherstrip adhesive, maybe some waxed paper for shaping; or even a small wooden or plastic form,(jig) and the 2 manufactured pieces were joined as 1 for faster installation and more perfect centering. Some fancy weatherstrip joinery can be done with that black 3M weatherstrip adhesive... ??? Lou

Jo Ann,

After careful examination of the trim on both my '89 & '91 I will now report that both are exactly the same. The configuration is "L" shaped. The flat on the outer exposed edge is not flat the inside is indented for a strip of double sided tape that holds the assembly together and the top lip hides that space taken up by the double sided tape. I would try the C2004 moulding but I would cut away about 1/2 of the inside part, fit it on and around the perimeter you want to cover .You might need the help of a "Heat Gun" (hair dryer) to help you bend it nicely. once you get it in place and you are satisfied with it. Remove it clean the edge and side of the top where the moulding will go, with alcohol. Then glue it on. you can use tape to hold it in place till the glue dries.

If you want to paint it, I would try before it was installed. Good Luck, Lou

Hey JoAnn,

The last issue of TC America news letter had a reprint of my method. If You can I would suggest you join TC America tcclubceo@aol.com <tcclubceo@aol.com> and get all the back issues of the newsletters. That's what I did when I bought my first TC. Also before you get any replacement trim pieces and try to make them fit. Check with Larry Carlson. Info@tcparts.com or 928-386-0999. He has a bunch of TCs and sells us TC America members parts..If for some reason you can't, let me know and my poor little 1 finger typing will type it up for you.. Good Luck, Lou

For eveyones info--the hard top on the T/C is not fiberglass. It was the largest SMP piece ever made in the auto industry to that point. SMP-sheet molded plastic. A large sheet of enforced plastic was heated then put into a press mold to form the tops. Port holes and rear window holes were then cut by hand and tops compleated. Having been hit in the side at 85 mph in a T/C the top sure ripped in a strange way.

post-38433-143137953964_thumb.jpg

That is the hood. It became a ramp for his mini van that launched him I am told 6 feet in the air. I was busy spining a good 5-6 times around. In one of those "its a small world" moments-10/1/95 @10:03am while I was spining on Fowler Ave.,Rick Diogo was 2 blocks away in classes at USF. He says he remembers the smashed T/C in the road.