Buick Promo cars

Guest norb

I collect Buick promo cars & I discovered this letter to John burnside in my basement archives.The last time I saw John was at a Buick meet not long before he died.The price on promos has gone up just a little the last few years.

post-35886-143137953283_thumb.jpg

You did good. The Regal and Reatta came out at the same time but the Reatta is worth more now.I remember seeing large carboard boxes in the Buick main office full of these at about 3.00 each and they could not get rid of them. I was as dumb then as now.

Guest my3buicks

There was a point a few years ago when I sold some of these on ebay and was geting $25-$30 each, and about $10 more for the Reatta's at the time. Toward the end of the group I was selling the bottom dropped out and was getting between $10 & $15 for sealed boxed ones. Any Buick promo is a good one to have!!

Interesting letter, esp mention of the radio cars. For years I thought Ford was the only one who had them because of the Philco affiliation. Then, few weeks back found a 66 Impala radio promo with a Philco (?) radio on ebay. So it appears from that, and this letter, that GM offered radio promos.

Next ?? Were the GM radio promos all Philco transistor radios? and built by AMT?

I have 3 or 4 Buick radio cars.All Rivs; 66 or 67.Radios are from Hong kong or Japan.Only one works.They are too cheap to fix or get parts for.Not hi-fi or stereo either.

Guest imported_Thriller

Can someone describe a radio car? Is it like the telephones shaped like cars, but a radio?

I have a '61 Invicta convertible promo car - it's a friction drive built by AMT.