Sign in to follow this  
Paul K.

41 LC woodgrain dash restoration

The dash on my 41 is decent for its age but compared to new it is unacceptable to me. Who restores these or as I understand from a Packard friend of mine, it may or is a multi-layer painting process done by hand. ??

I HAD A 41 CUSTOM AND FOR YEARS HAVE INSPECTED VARIOUS ATTEMPTS AT REFININSH. IT SEEMS SIMILAR TO MY 22ND SERIES PACKARD..BUT SEEMS VERY FEW RESTORERS GET IT EVEN CLOSE TO RIGHT.

ASK EARLE BROWN...HE WILL KNOW..

JEFF

I have noticed that too, the re-done wood-grains seldom are even close to the original in pattern or color, a real shame as the wood-grains on Z's and Connies before the war were really works of art

I recently got my 41 dash and window trims back from Lauren Matley. I will try to add a photo. I think I like the color. It is more gold than the NOS radio delete plate I sent him for a sample, but it was faded a little. The grain looks pretty good but not quite perfect. There was one definite flaw, a run in the clear coat that might show when mounted. You can see it underneath the clock hole, just where the dash turns under. Contact me if you want more photos.

I thought that would work, but maybe not. Do the photos have to be on the web to add one to a post?

go down to file manager and it should allow you to attach up to 5 files. maybe the pictures are too large and need to be resized using photshop or some other photo software

There is a big difference with woodgraining types just be sure of the kind you are getting..

Jdee post-1-80237-fazz2.jpg

The one marked contoured is beautiful....i think that is correct..rather that the lite whitish pic in previous post....hey Rolf...u are the 41 guy..what'ya think??

Jeff, back in the '50's I had both a 41 Connie and a '41 Zephyr with almost perfect graining, but now after so long I can only say I am not certain, memory and all that you know, but the dark ones are like the Connie I think, and Walker's is very close color wise, not sure about the patterns on either, I have a bare '41 dash here, but all that is left of the color is the light brown or tan base coat, as a father in law I had used to say, "Don't get old, you won't like it", but there is this picture from the 1941 owners manual, that may show the pattern, even if it is black and white-

post-51946-143137954823_thumb.jpg

1941 Continentals and Zephyrs had completely different dashboard woodgraining. My 41 Continental dash is original, but pretty well worn and not a good example for duplicating.

Dan Krehbiel used to know a guy in California who did excellent woodgraining for early Fords. This was YEARS ago and I don't remember the name, but I'm sure Dan would know.

I'm attaching a photo of the woodgraining from my rusty 41 Zephyr parts car. The only woodgraining that looked authentic was on the rear quarter vent window, hidden behind the seat cushion. It is more yellow than John Walker's appears to be but I think the gray color is authentic as well.

post-32768-143137956025_thumb.jpg