After market gauges 65 riviera

Guest Mohogs

Hey guys,

Was wondering if anybody knew where to get after market gauges I'm looking for the 2 large main gauges such as the speedometer/odometer and the fuel, amp, hot, cold gauges. My speedometer hasnt worked well since i bought the car 5 years ago. I have also changed the transmission over to the 700r4 with the bensteins adapter and changed the rear end to a 3.42 posi from another riviera. I dont really want to spend the money to have somebody fix my old speedometer and the other gauge doesnt really do much besides have the fuel read out. I have already installed a temp gauge and volt gauge under the dash.

Any information would be great,

Thanks,

John

1965 Riviera Custom

Here are a couple of links you might be interested in

http://www.egauges.com/vdo_mult.asp?Type=Quad_Cluster&Series=White_Hot_SLF&Units=E

http://www.egauges.com/vdo_mult.asp?Type=Speedometer&Series=White_Hot_SLF

http://www.egauges.com/vdo_mult.asp?Type=Clock&Series=White_Hot_SLF

If you look back through some of the more recent copies of the Riview, you can see gauges something like this in the white and gold 65 Riv that's on the cover.

Ed

Thanks for the link, they look really nice. Was wondering if anybody has had experience installing these and how difficult it will be? Also, if you need to but any other parts to make them work besides the gauges.

John

1965 Buick Riviera Custom

Each guage will require a sender designed especially for it. The speedometer works off a sender that takes a reading from a magnet attached to your driveshaft. The gauge manufacturers can supply you with what you need to make it work. Nothing runs off the existing wiring harness. Study the links carefully and it's all explained on the website. Look for a Q&A section for most all of your answers.

Here goes. I had a 700r4 transmission rebuilt from a 1990 corvette with a firm shift kit installed. the cost in Canadian dollars was 1850.00 taxes in. To make it fit i had to buy the adapter from bendsteins which cost at the time 595..00 in American funds. THe original shifter will not work because the linkages are on the wrong side of the transmission. I bought a pro street shifter from b and m for 265.00 Canadian. The drive shaft also had to be completely shortened and rebuilt which cost 800 Canadian which I was told is a very good deal. The parts alone were 500 because its a two piece drive shaft. Add the labour cost on top of that and its not very cheap.

However, the car runs amazing and the overdrive does save on gas especially if you have a high gear ratio in the rear.

Hope the info helps

John 1965 Buick Riviera Custom