Sign in to follow this  

What are you doing for the 4th of July?

Hi, Please share your plans. Please give info on how you spend the 4th in you region of the country. SalG smile.gif" border="0tongue.gif" border="0wink.gif" border="0

The 4th of July parades are one of the biggest fund-raisers for our region. We'll be driving in two of them, one at 10:00 and another at 1:00. I just hope it's not raining! Almost every city, village or town in our area has their own parade, but not all of them pay for people to participate.<P>After the parades, we usually grill out for supper, weather permitting, and then head out to the local Legion post later in the evening for fireworks. We have a beer/soda there first, and then walk across the street to the city park. It's a distance away from the ground fireworks, but the parking can't be beat, and you can still get the full effect of the rest of the fireworks. Then it's back home to light some sparklers (with parental supervision, for the worriers).<P>So, how does that differ from your 4th of July?<P>Jan K.<BR>Wis Region

Hi Sal,<P>Sorry to hear you "lost your cookies" last night. A man needs to know his limits (har har).<P>Here on the CT shoreline, my family and I will attend my wife's older brother's outdoor picnic tomorrow afternoon, complete with great grilled meats, many salads & deserts, and also, of course, a fine selection of cold beverages. Then, once it gets dark, this party has been known to feature a firework or two, set off over the small lake on my brother-in-law's property. A fine way to cap off the day.<P>We'll certainly drive an old car or two over there as well!<P>Steve M.

Our town does Memorial Day & Veterans Day parades, in which we love to participate, with our old cars. If I was able to find a reasonably nearby 4th of July parade, I'd certainly consider it.<P>Our town also lit off their fireworks about a week or so ago, so we don't have to worry about missing them (incidentally, they were great!).

concert and fireworks tomorrow (3rd)night in neighboring city. Our town's concert and firwork works the 4th after my church's 4th of picnic.

Walk 2 blocks to Main Street to watch the old cars in the parade - (wish mine was put back together.) frown.gif" border="0 <P>Have dutch oven lasagna and home made ice cream in the back-yard, and watch fire works from the back-yard - the city park is only a mile away. I love small towns!! grin.gif" border="0 <P>cj

Hi all, Here on Long Island the big parades are Memorial Day, because schools are still open. You get the school band, little league, soccer clubs, flower society, etc. followed up by the FD. A few towns/villages have July 4th events.<BR>As for the local club I belong to, the Long Island Motor Touring Club, the past few years we go down to a members commercial property near the rail road tracks. This year on the 3rd. The local village has a fireworks display from the RR station parking lot, and we have a great view. The club supplies drinks and nacks.SalG smile.gif" border="0tongue.gif" border="0<BR> <BR>As for myself, I have spent 3 out of the last 5 years at Jones Beach during the day. As an employee of the state lottery, I have taken part in our yearly promo. This year we are not doing this event. A shame, the O/T is great and the people watching is not bad.SalG<BR> wink.gif" border="0<p>[ 07-02-2001: Message edited by: SalG ]

Plan to participate with the old car in the Takoma Park, MD July 4th parade (their 107th, I believe). It's an quaint little town right up against the DC border, with a lot of unusual old houses and it's a declared "nuclear free zone" (for real). In this metro area, their parade is acutally bigger than DC's. They get about 25 to 30 cars plus about 100 parade units.<P>Then maybe a cookout later and probably watch the fireworks at the Montgomery Fairgrounds. The only time we went to the National Fireworks Show on the Mall with the other 400,000 people, we didn't get home until almost 6am.<P>Hope everyone has a great 4th. grin.gif" border="0

Here in Central California the largest 4th of July Parade in in our little town of Morgan Hill. We have a parade with over 100 entries. Several car clubs participate including our region of the AACA. Later in the afternoon, most of the local car clubs are invited to a BBQ up in the Santa Cruz Mtns. Makes a delightful day, talking, visiting, and enjoying looking at all the old cars that show up.<BR>Later in the evening it the fireworks at the community park.<BR>Happy 4th of July to All!

We will be motoring up I-65 North starting early in the morning of the Fourth to go to the Hickory Corners meet that weekend. It's a two-day drive for us. Matter of fact, it's a two-day drive for us nearly anywhere we go except South.<BR>Sal: Are you familiar with a place called Snowflake Ice Cream on the east end of LI? Watched a TV program last night that detailed it.<BR>Jan: Same program featured a place in WI that makes its own ice cream starting with the milking of the cows and goes from there. Unfortunately, can't remember the name of it but hope it might be on next year's tour.<BR>Patt grin.gif" border="0<BR>P.S. Hubby says its "Richardson's"<p>[ 07-03-2001: Message edited by: Ms63falcon ]

Normally I invite some refugees from the People's Republic of Maryland down to light off some fireworks, but this year I expect to have a pretty quiet day mostly just trying to fix one of these cars.<P>Bry

And i'll be en-route to Mich for the meet at Hickory Corners. Im going to get on some back roads and enjoy some wonderful scenery, small towns, antique shops, and whatever anyone along the way is doing on the 4th. What a wonderful country!!!

Dawne and I will be taking the '71 Mustang convertible up to Knoxville to join the East TN Region in the Farragut, TN parade tomorrow morning. Afterwards, the region will assemble at the nearby park for a cook-out until 2:00 P.M. Later on tomorrow evening, we will be back in Athens and going to a region member's house for fireworks and ice cream.

Patt, If that Snowflake Ice Cream is the same one I know, it is located on Pantigo Road (aka Montauk Hwy) in East Hampton. It has been around for ages, I haven't been in it for a few years.SalG smile.gif" border="0tongue.gif" border="0

I just found out that my local Township has reinstated its July 4th car cruise at the local park! That fills up the other half of my day! grin.gif" border="0

c.johnson ~ I live a mile and a half from the park in a fairly small town. I have to leave my house to see the fireworks. My town must be more rural. I seem to have a problem with these green things with brown stems that block my view. I think they call them trees. wink.gif" border="0 Tallllll ones at that.

Di and I always participate with our region in the July 4th parade held in the Harford County countyseat. We usually have between 20-25 cars from our region making a showing. One of our member couples lives about a mile from the end of the parade and always has an after parade get together each year. They always provide ample homemade ice cream (at least 2 flavors), barbecued chicken wings, plus many other delicious foods and drinks. Our cars are usually spread throughout the long parade, so whenever one of them reaches the end, they immediately drive to the get together, park on the lawn and start feasting and chatting.

Well it was barbecue time in southeastern Virginia. We cooked up barbecued chicken, burgers, and an Italian sweet sausage with barbecued peppers and onions. Then we watched the fireworks at Mount Trashmore, and set off sparklers and fountain-sparklers in the driveway (while listening to the "Knucklehead family" up the street "dynamiting" the street with M-80s).<BR>The classic car stayed in the garage but was uncovered for guests to view at the BBQ. cool.gif" border="0

Went to see the fireworks tonight as they are postponed due to the heavy rain we got last night (4th). I did attend the concert. For those of you that are into shag and beach music (the real beach music. CAROLINA beach music) we had "General Johnson and the Chairmen of the board" playing.

Hi all, Here on Long Island, NY it rained/showered on and off late am to mid pm and rain at night and from 11pm to 4 am. We did get in a parade in Amityville, NY and I did the family BBQ about 4 pm. Not one of the most memories, but an OK day. SalG tongue.gif" border="0