Donated Reattas

65buickgs

FYI - March newsletter about donated Reattas-All Reattas are to be crushed per agreement with BMD/GM after cars have served their useful life. A real shame that these cars will go to waste like this. Why is it that such an agreement does not shock me when it comes to a Buick. I see so many repops for people and their C _ _ _ _ _ _ _ T's_ , but little to nothing for most Buicks. Even had a few schools refuse to give me any info on their cars...one was downright rude. frown.gif" border="0

One of the major reasons I suggested the Adopt a Reatta program was because I was spend lots of time and $$ on the phone.<P>Some of the schools are suspicious that you are checking on them and we have already seen that some of the cars have been stripped of the factory wheels and CD.<P>It is not completely true that them must be crushed. The schools interpretation of the agreement varies considerably. I have not totalled the number that we know have been scrapped. The answers varies from just scrapped to cut into pieces. One example was sent to a wrecking yard complete, the owner somehow was able to get a good title and the car now resides in Kansas. A 1991 convertible was cut in half....but before that was done, everything in the middle was removed, seats, carpet, cables, the top was lowered and the doors opened. Then it was torched into two halves. Nothing was lost but the ability to put it on the road, which is difficult as GM holds a Michigan scrap title.<P>My goal is to get GM to approve donating the cars to museums. I have two museums that would like cars, but no word from the General.<P>Several have been redonated to other schools.<BR>One car is on its third school.

I'm just passing on the info I got from the contacts made per the request in the newsletter. I contacted five of the schools and got the same answer from all of them...the cars are to be scrapped. I'm not surprised as this is what happens to the 'lemon' returns. Maybe someone from the club can contact GM and see if the agreements can be modified. Maybe the rarity of the car may persuade GM to reconsider destruction. Maybe the schools could auction them off and keep the proceeds. Has anyone actually seen one of these agreements?

Since I wrote the article in the newsletter, how about sharing the schools you contacted and any details you were able to get.<BR>I update my files on a regular basis and if another Reatta member calls about a school, I would like to know if they have already been contacted.

Guest Stephen Lyons

With my recently acquired 1988 Reatta came several copies of a newspaper article from that time indicating that the local university, California Polytechnic (Cal Poly) at San Luis Obispo had received a "rare pre-production model" for use by the school as an instructional mule. The article goes on to say that "Buick built just 21 pre-production units. Of the 10 assigned to the West Coast, only two are being donated to universities for instructional use. The others will be used for crash tests or sold to the movie industry for use in films and television productions."

I contacted the BOCES in Binghamton, N.Y. and after being directed thru several people learned it was the wrong BOCES. The Chenango Campus is actually at Norwalk, N.Y. which is about 15 miles from Binghamton. I've made contact with the Auto Tech instructor and he was very much interested in my visit. Plan to visit within the next two weeks and will bring them issues of the Bugle and photos of Reatta's and the Blackhawk. Will take photos of the 90 Reatta convertible!! Details to follow.

Good work Ray<P>I tried to explain in the article, that the information attached, was my best quess. I searched the internet for the names of the schools and listed the one that seemed to be the best choice.<P>The list that GM provided contained only three things...the School name (no address)<BR>the vin number of the car, and the GM donation number.

Barney I wasn't complaining, It really was kind of comical as the guy at the first BOCES contacted was ready to get his Sheriff friend looking into why they didn't receive the car. grin.gif" border="0