'YOU CAN'T BE TOO SAFE, YOU KNOW!!'.

Ron Green

I'd love to see how the trip ended but I feel confident he ended up in a ravine somewhere wondering why bad things seems to always happen to him. Hopefully he didn't kill anybody.

He's hooked up and ready to go!!

It's amazing how the extra weight gives a smooth ride.

He did have to air up the rear tires a bit ( around 160 psi , rated at 32 psi)

post-30758-143137952571_thumb.jpg

He added some heavy-duty chain for extra support on the tailgate

(he used the 'Heavy-Duty 'S' hooks to attach the chain)

Note the BIG 5/16 sheet-metal screws to attach the frame to the tailgate.

Yeah, he knows it's overkill, but he didn't want the possibility of having an accident.

post-30758-143137952573_thumb.jpg

Much of his time was spent on his front porch whittling down that MASSIVE 4x4 board to fit precisely into the ball mount receiver. Also note that he used a 14' piece of 1x4 to help distribute the load more evenly

--'YOU CAN'T BE TOO SAFE, YOU KNOW!!'. ' It cost a little more, but you just can't be too safe when pulling a trailer of this magnitude !!'

post-30758-143137952575_thumb.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ron Green</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So you met my brother. smile.gif

I have to hook up my trailer tomorrow and will probably be wondering why I went to all that trouble and expense for load bars, etc.

</div></div>

Sure hope God is this person's co-pilot and not you Ron because they are sure gonna need some divine help.

I saw these photos a few months ago when I was on another automotive forum. Many on that forum thought the owner of the tow vehicle and trailer was sure to be a finalist in the annual Darwin awards. That is, as soon as the authorities can locate the body and/or pieces of the owner and identify them after the accident.

This photo is just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to what people think is "safe" to use when towing.

It is sad that discussions about towing and towing safety on some other automotive forums contain SO MUCH mis-information.

The last one I was involved in was a Engineer who thought it was okay to buy a tow vehicle for his boat knowing full well that the weight of the boat & trailer would exceed the tow vehicle capacity by at least 25%. I sure hope that individual does not work on bridges, buildings, autos or other things like that.

Speaking about towing boats I saw some photos of a person who used a FWD minivan to tow his rather large boat.

The photos showed the minivan and trailer under water at the boat ramp. Would have loved to see the look on his wife's face when she found out.

I had a Murphy's Law calendar some years back and I used to howl at the month of August. Caption was "As soon as you make something idiotproof, along comes a new and improved idiot". Picture was a guy with a blender, one finger on the high speed button, holding the blender cover while the blender spewed all over him.

Also heard "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups."

How 'bout "Ignorance is bliss. Stupidity hurts."

Or "If you gonna be dumb, you better be tough." (my personal favorite!)

Quote: “This photo is just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to what people think is "safe" to use when towing.”

Charlie you are so correct. I have seen things that are deadly and really should be reported. I knew someone who never used tie downs when hauling in his enclosed trailer. Waste of time he would say. The car is heavy enough it won’t move. After his antique (and expense) Roll’s shifted one day and wiped the side out surprising enough he now uses tie downs. Go figure!