Karen collects Michelin ... Keep me happily married !

Here is an interesting Michelin item - saw it in London but it wouldn't fit into my suitcase! I don't think you could get much better than this for a Michelin collectible, in fact you could use it to keep all your Michelin stuff appropriately housed.

post-30751-143137952607_thumb.jpg

This building, located near Kensington still stands today and is a trendy restaurant, preserving all of the original ceramic tile motoring scenes. It was the former UK headquarters of the Michelin Tyre Company and was opened in 1911. It was designed by Francois Epinasse. It combines elements of both Art Deco, and Art Nouveau.

On the inside and outside walls there are 34 tile panels which show scenes from the early history of motoring, motor racing and the first Michelin tyres. Even the floor is decorated with a tile scene with the company's slogan "Le pneu Michelin boit l'obstacle" - suggesting that these tyres "drink up obstacles". It is a wonderful piece of early motoring history and if you are ever in London, it is "must see." Taking pictures of the tiles can be a challenge because they are pretty high up on the walls, but if you want a good look at some of them, check the website

http://www.thejoyofshards.co.uk/london/tiles/michelin/index.shtml

post-30751-143137952863_thumb.jpg