1917 Maxwell Model 25 Headlight Lens Removal

HBergh

Howard, on mine it just twists counter clockwise. If I remember correctly the car you're working on has sat for a while and it may require penetrant between the ring and headlight shell to overcome corrosion. I've even had to tap them carefully with a rubber hammer in the direction I'm turning the ring. Good Luck, Howard Dennis

Thanks for the tip, Howard. Are there threads on the rim or just some kind of twist-lock mechanism?

Yes, who knows how long it has been since the lenses have been off. I worked on this car last weekend to get it ready for the fall show being held on the next two weekends. I actually fired it up while on the jack stands, after about 10-15 pulls on the crank. That was pretty exciting! That's the first time I've heard it run. I'm a little concerned about an occasional "clunking" sound; like maybe a loose main. I plan to have someone more experienced with this kind of sound take a listen.

Thanks again,

Howard B.

Howard, before I answered I went through all my pictures trying to find an example of the attachment method and failed to find one. I can't remember if it's three or four tabs that create a twist lock effect. You might try pushing and hitting with both palms at the same time on the side of the rim, right hand going up, left hand going down. Be care though as it's a very fast twist, once it starts it's a very short twist till it falls off. Hope this helps, Howard Dennis