Stromberg UR2 carb

straight8pontiac

I attended the annual Fall meet at Hershey and was able to purchase a Stromberg UR2 carb in the flea market which I will use as a replacement for a pot metal Marvel carb which is starting to deteriorate. After opening up the carb I found the float bowl and surrounding parts covered in a layer of rust and sediment and what appears to be a broken part or two. I am presently soaking the carb to see what parts can be salvaged.

Can someone provide me with pictorial diagrams of this carb which indicate part names and numbers for the purpose of rebuilding. I'm sure a scanned picture would be fine or I can pay for hard copies of a manual.

Thanks in advance for your help! Dave.

Dave,

Have you tried http://www.thecarburetorshop.com? They have information and I think in some cases parts for a large variety of antique carburetors, and although the list of brochures available does not list UR2, they may have it or something very similar. You might also try Jon Hardgrove at tech@thecarburetorshop.com.

Ken G, 1925 Rover 16/50 with a Stromberg OS-2 (San Francisco)

Hi Ken,

Thank you for your response. Unfortunately I made this purchase without having all of the information to make the best buying decision.

Yesterday I spoke with Jon about the carb I purchased and several others which would be a better application. I believe I will be selling the one I just purchased and look for one that is more suited to my needs.

Dave.

• 3 years later...

Dave,

The Stromberg UR2 was an advanced design and can be a good choice for a replacement carburetor. Unfortunately, it does contain a pot metal pot metal venturi (if I recall correctly), and it is this which usually creates problems. The venturi swells and the throttle body then refuses to separate from the bowl, so when it is forced apart the degraded venturi usually breaks. Is that perhaps what you are seeing?

We can have a new venturi made from aluminum (not pot metal) as part of a comprehensive restoration, but of course the cost is not cheap.

However, before you go this route, be certain that all of the hookups (flange dimensions and orientation, throttle linkage, choke wire, fuel line inlet) are (or can be made to be) compatible with your engine. Sometimes an adapter must be made by a machine shop to allow the flange on a replacement carb to be dimensionally compatible with an intake manifold design, and this must be factored into the overall cost.

If you have not already done so, please check all of these variables before sinking more money into this particular carburetor.

Best of Luck,