Sign in to follow this  
jeff_a

Peerless Photos

Alsancle makes a good point. I have seen photos of Thirties Packards at events which have been ¨jazzed up¨ in some whimsical bright colors when restored. Invariably, someone uses ¨painted like a circus wagon¨ to describe it if they made really unfortunate choices.  However, the Twenties were  a heyday for colorful cars. There´s an article in Distillations by Regina Blaszczyk, ¨True Blue: Du Pont and the Color Revolution¨ from 2007 that talks about how trends in clothing and autobody color were featuring bright colors that influenced American cars. The colors at a Paris show in 1926 emphasized warm maroons and burnt oranges,(see Exhibit 1 on Post# 25)  one celebrity was seen in a green & peach roadster, another drove a sports car in Dekkan Brown and London Smoke. At the 1926 NY Auto Show, 12 Lincolns had been painted in shades matching exotic birds like Equadorian Green Tanagers, Haitian Lizard Cuckoos, and  Venezuelan Yellow Woodpeckers. A Pierce Arrow was shown at an Auto Salon alongside a tropical Bird of Paradise in a birdcage....every color of the bird matched by the motor car.

Your average bank president in rural Kansas wouldn´t be ordering a Venezuelan Yellow Lincoln -- but a lot of people ordered Oaklands in 1924 when they were offered in Duco two-tone Blue with Red stripes. That caused a rush of orders for these more colorful DuPont shades in this and other GM departments. Someone in my family bought a Lincoln when they first came out...I travelled in it several times...and it was dark forest green.

I don´t normally read chemistry trade journals....but I found this article when I was trying to find what the hell the color London Smoke looked like, a color Peerless used in 1928.  The Cabriolet in Exhibit 1, seen in the preceeding post, may be the 1929 Peerless factory color Stutz Royal Red. The one surviving ´29 Peerless 6-91 Cabriolet, which came out of the Roscoe Stelford Collection in Pingree Grove, Illinois, is red with wire wheels.

Edited by jeff_a (see edit history)

A nice-lookin´ '29 Peerless 6-61 Deluxe Victoria which Victory Cars of Florida had for sale 8 years ago. No one knows where it is now.

1929 Peerless Car Pictures To Pin On Pinterest Pinsdaddy

1929 Peerless Car Pictures To Pin On Pinterest Pinsdaddy

1929peerlesscppside.jpg  1929peercppsidefr.jpg

Photo credit: www.victorycars.com

https://books.google.com/books?id=qaIAAAAAMAAJ&vq=peerless&dq=automobile journal Peerless&pg=PA835#v=onepage&q=peerless&f=false

A link to 2 photos from The Club Journal from March, 1914, Vol. 5, No. 25. It shows a special-order 1914 Peerless Salon Sedan, and it´s interior, including:

......mahogany baseboard - quadruple silver plating - English Axminster carpeting - Italian brocade with silk-tinseled velvet borders - wool tapestries -  silk broche´ draperies......

In June, 1927, two men drove a Peerless 6-80 from San Francisco to Cleveland in 80 hours. Judging by limited info here, we presume they were 14 hours Los Angeles-to-S.F., then 80 hours to Cleveland on the Lincoln Highway. Nice photo of the 1927 Six-80 boattail Roadster! Maybe someone will get the whole bound set of sales bulletins and read the rest of the story.

s-l1600.jpg

This is an excerpt from a large set of Co-Operator  bi-monthly bulletins [1925, 1926, 1927] for sale on ebay for $425.25 by Troxel´s/Paperheaven.

Screenshot 2018-03-06 at 5.54.04 PM.png

This is a 1923 Peerless Town Car on display at the Chicago Auto Salon on December 9th, 1922.  From a story in the 12/14/22 MOTOR AGE, Vol. XLII, No. 24, Page 11.

Coachbuilt body by Demarest. This does incorporate the Cadillac-lookalike rad shell brought about by the emigration of many of the key staff at Cadillac to Peerless in 1921. The design was on all 1923 and 1924 Peerlesses, and the 6-70 up through March, 1925. 

This is available somewhere on the internet, titled "Mafia Greeting Card -- 1925 Peerless Straight 8". They should have contacted us here on The Peerless Forum to get the year and model right. I ordered several things from them. One can get a throw pillow; a coffee mug; a phone case; a notebook; a tote bag; a tee shirt; an image on aluminum, paper, canvas, acrylic, or wood; or a shower curtain. From Fine Art America. 

One of more than 25 Peerless automobile photos available(1909-1931). This one is a 1929 PEERLESS Model 8-125 Sedan:

Related image

...a nice shot of a somewhat rare model. Total output was about the same as Duesenberg, about 1,150 cars. Greater h.p. than anything in GMs 9-car American lineup that year(Chevrolet/Oldsmobile/Buick/Viking/LaSalle/Pontiac/Oakland/Marquette/Cadillac).