63 Oil Pan

petelempert

Anybody out there ever removed the oil pan off a 63 with a 401? Specifically, can it be removed while the motor is still in the car? I get an intermitent oil pressure lamp at idle. Above idle, the light always goes off. One of my buddies swears if you can remove the pan and clean any sludge out of the pan and the oil intake, it will cure the problem. My pressure indicator might be part of a bigger set of problems, but I thought I'd try cleaning the pan...just to see. Any advice? Thx PRL

Pete,

I would first of all change oil and see what happens. My '64 was doing that when I got it home after purchasing it. I change the oil from 10W-30 to a 20w-40 high mileage oil. The higher viscosity seemed to help at the low rpm's and my light no longer came on. I'd also switch out the sender before trying to remove the pan, a much easier job.

I've never tried it, but I believe you'll need to unbolt the motor mounts and jack up the engine to remove the pan while the engine is in the car. You might also have to drop the drag link. Try the other stuff first.

IMHO, I don't know what cleaning the pan would do. As long as enough oil can reach the pickup, you should be in good shape. If there's that much crud in the bottom of the pan, you've got bigger problems.

Ed

Ed-Thanks for your reply. I'll try the lighter oil, and a new sensor couldn't hurt. This old car is slowly getting back to decent running condition. Back when I first got it to run...I was pleased to just drive it. Now, I'm getting picky about flickering oil lights and tapping lifters. I guess I'm moving in the right direction. Thanks again. PRL

You actually want to move to a heavier oil - which are the numbers that were recommended. A little thicker oil doesnt ooze out of the main and rod bearings as easy - and keeps the overall pressure in the system up enough to keep the light off. The light means you pressure is dropping too low at idle, which is the common first signs of an aging engine. The bearing clearances get larger as the bearings wear - and the oil all drops out before it has a chance to get up top.... As long as the car isnt running in cold sub 40 temps - I would move up to a 20w50 and start saving the money to get it rebuilt....Your tapping lifters are also a sign they are not getting enough oil...