Two questions - fuel gage and starter

Desmc14

1) Fuel gage - I had the gas tank re-sealed in June and the fuel gage worked for about one month, now it does not. All other instruments work fine, so I am guessing it's at the tank. It could be the ground wire has come off, but if not, are there any documents from the past which detail how to fix this from the tank and adjust so when empty, it reflects empty - when full/full etc?

2) Where is a reputable source for a new/rebuilt starter? I'm in Canada (about 60 miles east of Detroit) so shipping costs will likely be high. Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks all!

Bob

there is some discussion of fuel gage testing in the shop manual. you need to see if needle is always on E or always on Full. One is broken wire; the other is a grounded wire (wire pinched somewhere where insulation is cut). I forget which is which.

Sender wire might have vibrated off of sender...

Adding a ground wire between tank and frame can't hurt. '65 might have had it from factory.

I recommend having a local starter shop rebuild the one you have. New solenoid with new brushes and bearings should do it. They know what to do. Too heavy to be shipping all over the place.

Guest oakland

If the wire from the sending unit to the gauge is grounded, the gauge will read empty. If there is a short or open circuit somewhere the gauge will read full. I just had trouble with my 63 Riviera. The gauge read full all the time. I removed the tank to check the sending unit. On the unit there is a strip of metal from the float lever assy. to the top of the unit where the wire connects. The strap on mine was broken off, resulting in a short. I replaced the strap, and the gauge works fine now. Hope this helps.