stainless exhaust for my 1950 Super

Rebecca, least of your worries is exhaust. It can be customer bent locally but services such as Kepich Exhaust can do it in Stainless and ship to you. I am sure they have a website but I am at work and can not provide. Google "Kepich Exhaust"

You can try waldron too. If you are considering stainless, you should know that stainless exhaust is made from lighter material (since it's stronger) and can be noisier than the original steel. I've got a set on one of my '64 Rivs and it's really quite noticeable. Of course it should never rust out.

Was it a lot noisier or was it just a little noisier? I think that not rusting is important to me and if it is just a little noisier it might be a good trade off. However, since a feature of this car is that it is pretty quiet it would be a good idea to try and keep it that way.

I was thinking that mail ordering a "correct" exhaust would give me better results and be cheaper than having a custom exhaust shop do it. My husband just spent a fortune having a custom exhaust put on his 70 Cuda (beautiful TIG welds though). I have seen some prices of mail order exhausts that were pretty reasonable. It seems to me that it would be pretty cheap to install it even if I have it done professionally. I don't mind if there are modern exhaust hangars.

Rebecca

Rebecca

It's not real noisy, just a bit tinny sound at the front. You can notice it with the car idling if you are standing by it. The sound out the back is fine. Of course, this is a 425, your eight might not be the same. This was a mail order system and it fit fine and the price was reasonable. I can't remember who I got it from, I've used both Waldron and Kepich. When I did the exhaust on my '62 Skylark, I went with steel because I wasn't real happy with the sound of the stainless on the Riv. Also, many head pipes are double walled and I don't know that any of the aftermarket systems are. I didn't notice any additional noise on the Skylark though so I'm marking that up to stainless vs steel.

I just installed a stainless system from Waldron's on my 40 Special. The fit was spot on. The noise level is really quite low. Of course, this is compared to the well worn system that came off of it.I too was worried about the sound level. I sent an email to the company and was told that stainless will have a slightly "higher" sound compared to aluminized. With my limited understanding I kind figured as much. I picture stainless being harder and therefore the sound waves bounce more. (OK, you scientific types can stop laughing now.)

Ed

• 1 month later...

I am ready to buy a complete exhaust. I think that my best choices are Kepich and Waldron. Here are their prices:

Kepich:

all aluminized: $180

all stainless: $445

Waldron:

all aluminized: $250

stainless except muffler: $350

all stainless: $450

I was thinking of getting all aluminized because it might be quieter, it is cheaper and because I will not drive it in the salt anyway.

So, Kepich is cheaper but I would not paying more for Waldron if anyone thinks that it is better quality. Does anyone have an opinion on the difference between these (including quality of customer service). I live on the East coast. I don't know which one of these is further away, but I suspect that I should check shipping costs for both. It could be that one of them is a lot more.

On another note, I no longer have the stock brackets. At least this time around I was just going to install them with whatever works. I noticed that a lot of the custom shops weld a rod to the pipe and then insert the other end through a tight fitting rubber hole. I know this is not stock but other than that is this a bad idea?

Rebecca

Stainless is actually a softer metal than regular steel. It work hardens much more quickly, however. Thus, once it bends for an exhaust, the bends are harder. When drilling it, stainless seems harder because the metal directly under the drill bit is being work hardened. A deep cut is necessary to get beyond the surface work hardened stainless on each revolution of the bit.

I bought stainless for my 1938 Packard super 9- never thought about it being noisier. Haven't installed yet, that will be interesting to see how it sounds!

Happy motoring- David Coco Winchester Va.

Parts from both of these suppliers needed considerable reworking to make them fit. Check with your local muffler shops and see if they have bending specifications for your car...both of the shops in my town have specs for 1955; or if you have remnants of the last system they can copy. Then all you have to buy is a muffler.

Willie