2007 Hershey Show Sat.10/13

Paul Falabella

Guest Stonefish

the "world's largest RV show" was held at Hershey this year and last Mid September. It is mostly contanied around the Giant Center...over night parking on the "AACA show field" and spectators on the "other side of the bridge lot".

Guest South_paw

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1937hd45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Be honest, Hershey IS an RV Show! </div></div>

Thats no joke! There was some big dollar RV's present..

My friend & I were joking about that at Hershey..

It's the only place in the world you can buy a rusty $5 car part from a guy in a $400,000 RV grin.gif

Steve, I'll betcha it was more fun to watch them try to park in their spaces! smile.gif

Wayne

PS, Saw two incidents involving RV's today. One ran a tractor trailer off the road on I81 because he couldn't see out of his right said mirror. The other had jackknifed his pu and Air Stream on I83. crazy.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Steve Moskowitz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

South_paw, you are right, we watched a parade of very expensive RV's coming in early Sunday night and it was just fun to watch them. </div></div>

Steve, Serious question, may be my first check your file. Has any thought been given to a special parking section for the Large bus type RV's in the flea market? Might make for easy entry & exit if layed out with tapered //angled parallel spots.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1937hd45</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Steve, Serious question, may be my first check your file. Has any thought been given to a special parking section for the Large bus type RV's in the flea market? Might make for easy entry & exit if layed out with tapered //angled parallel spots. </div></div>

There is a BIG, EMPTY spot over in the stadium between the goal posts!

Should be able to fit a bunch of these big RV beasts on the football field. LOTS of unused space there.

Seriously though, would not using angled parallel spots take up more space and result in few flea market spaces?

If it would result in less spaces one would think that doing this would not be the best use of space especially since space is in such short supply.

BTW, has anyone took notice how many "posts" and "views" this thread has generated????

Interesting how this thread appears to be one of the biggest, most read threads on the forums.

Charlie, The RV will have the same footprint angled or covering the 4-5 spots it has now. They would be far easier to park if they were all headed in the same direction. They generally don't need much display space, card table and two chairs. Nobody ever mentions quality or value of items offered in a flea market spot. I would have gladly accepted $500. for EVERYTHING I had on display Wednesday. Other vendors could have $10,000. or more on display on one folding table.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">BTW, has anyone took notice how many "posts" and "views" this thread has generated????

Interesting how this thread appears to be one of the biggest, most read threads on the forums. </div></div>

As a kid I was in this hobby for <span style="text-decoration: underline">years</span> before I discovered the AACA did <span style="text-decoration: underline">anything</span> other than Hershey. For most people Hershey <span style="font-style: italic">is</span> the AACA.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1937hd45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Charlie, The RV will have the same footprint angled or covering the 4-5 spots it has now. They would be far easier to park if they were all headed in the same direction. They generally don't need much display space, card table and two chairs. Nobody ever mentions quality or value of items offered in a flea market spot. I would have gladly accepted $500. for EVERYTHING I had on display Wednesday. Other vendors could have $10,000. or more on display on one folding table. </div></div>

I agree the big RVs would be easier to park if they were all in the same direction.

I was thinking that some of the fields have somewhat odd shapes which might mean less spaces overall if RVs parked at angles in those areas.

There is no doubt that some vendors have some quality parts on display in a small area. It is unfortunate that these vendors have to share the field with other vendors who violate the rules selling non-car related items and of course, the "parkers".

Personally, I do not see this situation improving in the future. With EBay, the rising cost of fuel and other expenses as well as the aging of the vendors themselves more and more vendors will have a hard time making a trip to Hershey. These good car related vendors will continue to be replaced by non-car related vendors and parkers as Hershey Region attempts to keep the flea market fields full and revenues flowing.

I think 2007 set a record for least time spent walking the flea market, but I'm fine with that. Found some great stuff, spent all my money PLUS the one item I put a deposit on. When I think of it I'm kind of happy there were empty, low volume, or vendors displaying stuff I have no interest in. I can speedwalk with my hand cart, no need to look at every booth.

First of all, I do not and can not speak for the region. This is their show but national does try to help them when we can and when appropriate.

Despite what some make think, many people who have come for years expect certain vendors to be at certain locations. Moving vendors may make sense to some but be absolutely unwanted by others. Vendors have developed friendships with neighboring vendors, etc. I would think that the use of the football field would not be available for heavy vehicles due to the potential damage. The field is used for many statewide events and I believe had a football game the week after the show.

The region has worked with certain vendor groups when they were able to such as the grouping of brass car guys and speed enthusiasts.

There is no easy answer to some of these posts as it is the way you look at the flea market. Yes, at times I also felt it would be easier to have certain vendors in one location but I also remember (in my younger days!) how much fun it was to "sift" through the vendor spaces. It was work but I also know that I have found that rare part that was sitting among the '57 Chevy parts that was my prize for visiting all the vendors.

Everything can be improved and the region every year has made changes. Some have worked great, others may not have but it does bother me that SOME people think this is a simple event to run. It is not and I personally have seen over the last 4 years how hard the region folks work on this event and in many cases with very little thanks. They suffer the abuse of people who do not follow the rules, want special privileges and who do not bother to read and try and comprehend the guidelines. MOST do, but the others make life very difficult for the volunteers.

Also, the perception that HERCO is in any way the bad guy is wrong. Naturally they are a business and have to make sound business decisions for the company but they do work very closely with the region and have also been a big help to national as well. This show is important to them and they want it to be successful. Their company puts in a lot of work and expense for us.

This thread has had a lot of good and constructive thoughts and I am sure the region officers are reviewing the comments. Just remember, what you may think is a great idea others may not like. Real hard satisfying everyone!

Well said! smile.gif

As I have tried to say previously, We all need to thank the Hershey Region for the effort that they put into this show, Politely offer constructive criticism, where appropriate, be patient as change takes time.... and try to refrain from ugly name calling when someone has a different opinion than that which we personally have.

There have been some good suggestions given in this wide-ranging discussion. Some of them are not practical. Some of them probably are. Hopefully we all have the same intention.... Making Future Hershey Meets even Better..... smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Steve Moskowitz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

...we watched a parade of very expensive RV's coming in early Sunday night and it was just fun to watch them. </div></div>

Not sure who it belongs to, but there is one that has been coming for several years. It parks between the Chocolate and Chocolate Annex areas. A Prevost, mostly maroon and white with some gold and a graphic that looks like a golden rope with tassles at the ends. Their car trailer is decorated to match as well as the SUV in the car trailer. Very nice indeed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This thread has had a lot of good and constructive thoughts and I am sure the region officers are reviewing the comments. </div></div>

I hope they are also following the Is the Tail Wagging the Dog at Hershey thread as well. Though much smaller, I think it gets more to the root of what people are perceiving here.

And they and HERCO deserve our thanks for a terribly hard job done well for decades. Hershey is the AACA for most people, and they do us well regardless of the problems that crop up. smile.gif

Guest resq302

Dave,

Thank you for the post about http://forums.aaca.org/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/458018#Post458018 . I somehow missed it and just went back and read it. I could not agree more with the original poster. I agree that the car show should be Priority 1 as that is what the AACA seems to have been founded on, preserving old cars and promoting the history of them to new people. Granted, Hershey has been known for its place to find parts but it has also gained a large reputation for the quality of their show cars that attend. Way before I got into the AACA and was going to Hershey to get parts for our resto, it was an inspiration looking at the beautifully detailed cars that looked better than new. The car show is where I met a bunch of fellow club members who got me involved in the different clubs I am in today and who helped me out with pointers as to what I was doing correctly and incorretly on my now restored car(s).

Guest windjamer

Dave no one can doubt that Hershey is the MOTHER of all car shows and the volenters deserve every bit of praise they get in all honesty its the only pay check they do get.As a newby, I have some questions of my own and some that have been asked of me.Maby theres a old timer out there with ACTUAL knowlage. Just how big is hershey ? Im told over 10000 spaces. (Vendor) Has the chamber any idea what the week of hershey does for the local economy? I would bet hotels and resturaunts do more busness in that week then they do in a normal mo. What dos it cost the reagion to put the show on? I was told by one long timer that hershey donates the use of all the lots and field except the event center. Any truth here. Last,cars on the grass would be wonderful,IF you have a nice Level aera with easy on and off.The golf course is non of these.In 05 the cars where on the lots at the event center, including the corell is it possable to ask or evan feasable to ask the owners where they want there car show?? after all with out the cars there would not be a show and you can bet your biffy a lot of merchents would be VARY unhappy. Not trying to open a can of worms, just my b29 mouth.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Has the chamber any idea what the week of hershey does for the local economy? I would bet hotels and resturaunts do more busness in that week then they do in a normal mo.</div></div> I'm not so sure about this at all. I've been to Hershey during the summer and with the number of people who go to Hershey Park, plus will all of the games, concerts, and events that are held at both the stadium and at the Giant Center during the year, I don't believe that the AACA Eastern Fall Meet makes that much of a difference. Despite my feelings of HERCO "gouging" us, I will give them credit that they know how to promote and get a lot of use out of their property.

Windjamer.

The following is strictly my personal thoughts and not those of the AACA.

With all the negative experiences you had and continue to express concerning the Fall Hershey, why not send your questions to the appropriate entities. (Hershey C. of C., HERCO, Hershey Region, VP of Class Judging, etc.)

Hopefully, you will receive answers to your satisfaction. Personally, I never take much stock in "my buddy said" or "I heard". Go to the horse's mouth. grin.gif.

Regards,

PJH... smile.gif

Windjammer

The land that the show encompasses is rented from HERCO.

The Region spends alot of money and time to put this together, we begin before the previous show is done to get things ready for the forth coming year/s.

We try are hardest to be as accomodating as we can but not everyone will be happy with the results. Some of you could bet on along shot and win but complain it ran too slow.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PJHeizmann</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Windjamer.

With all the negative experiences you had and continue to express concerning the Fall Hershey, why not send your questions to the appropriate entities. (Hershey C. of C., HERCO, )

This would be a REALLY stupid thing to do, but that's just MY opinion!!

</div></div>

I think after almost a month of complaining all the stupid comments would have been made but you nitwits still amaze me!! Please lock this and all other crybaby threads NOW. HERCO, Hershey, Hershey Co., etc. does NOT need AACA and the fall meet. Peter I would think as a board member you would know this!! Lock this thread NOW before you do any more damage.

Providing feedback on an event isn't "damage". I don't think a single inappropriate or slanderous remark has been made on these threads. (<span style="font-style: italic">Although apparently some people remain mis-informed on HERCO's role in the event, an unfortuante situation that these threads better dispell than any other source I'm aware of.</span>) People care about Hershey, and want to help. I don't agree with many of the comments here, but they hardly amount to an attack on the event.

Steve has been very clear about the Hershey Region's interest in these threads and their importance in providing feedback to the event organizers. Everyone wants the event to get better, and it won't happen without feedback from those who care the most. The organizers appreciate that, and so should everyone else.

DAve Moon, your reponse was predictable. You are one of the many that wasn't even there, but you have all the answers to fix the show. I suggest next Oct. you and the others that know how to put on the perfect show rent or buy a few thousand acres, pave it of course, get hotel accomodations from $10 flophouses to $1000 premieum hotels, for 100,000, provide food that doesn't cost too much, bathrooms with diaper shelves that are free. Now arrange the flea market by car brand and position these that everyone with multiple brands can have THEIR own brands adjacent so they don't have to walk far.Parking should be free and right in the middle of everything for everyone. MAke sure they don't have to actually DRIVE cars onto the show field, paved and level of course. Let me know how it works out because i'll be at Hershey. The people that are SUPPOSED to fix things are doing just that.

There is no such thing as a perfect auto event. Many events like Fall Hershey have many, many hard working, dedicated people who work very long hours for no compensation. These people deserve our thanks as that is about all they get out of events like this.

That being said, there are some people (myself included) who have posted in this thread and others on the forum that did attend Fall Hershey this year and years prior. We have seen first hand the challenges, triumphs and missteps that have occurred. Some of us who attended Fall Hershey have been working at other brand specific auto events for years and know what kind of hard work it takes to put on an event. We also know that all successful auto events have a few things in common regardless of the size of the event.

First, event organizers realize the importance of feedback from the people that attend their event (ie their customers). If that feedback works within the framework and constraints of their event and makes sense for their event they implement it.

Second, they realize that their event is not perfect and requires constant tweaking to make it better each year.

Third, no matter how long an organization has been running an event they realize that they can never know it all and that they may have missed something or had something fall through the cracks. Sometimes they realize what they missed and sometimes it takes someone attending the event to point it out.

Last, but not least, when the organization makes a mistake they put their egos aside, admit they screwed up, learn from their mistake and move one. When an organization cannot admit their mistakes, learn from them or only wants to hear the good and not the bad, that organization and their event is in trouble.

In all my years of being involved with auto events, both big and small, I have seen event organizers that embrace these concepts and those that ignore them. The events that embraced these and other concepts have thrived while those that have ignored them have ceased to exist. It appears to me that Fall Hershey subscribes to this formula for a successful event. The members of Hershey region deserve our thanks for all their hard work. They also deserve to hear our suggestions, no matter how stupid or bizarre they might seem to others on this forum. In the end it is up to the event organizers to determine the value of the suggestions and implement them or not.

The people making the suggestions also have to realize that while their suggestion might seem reasonable and possible there may be other issues or constraints that the event faces that make the suggestion impossible to implement.

Guest imported_Packards1

I have been going to Hershey since 1973. It has only gotten better each year. Just think of all the unpaid volenteers that give up that week of their life so we all can have a great time. An event of this size will always have areas that can be improved, and each year it only gets better. Thank you to all who worked on making this event happen. Those of you who wern't satisifed with the event might consider doing something else next October. The AACA cannot please everyone, but they try harder than any other group I have seen.

Thank you to all those that praised the region, but I for one don't do this for the praise I enjoy the friendships I have made working with my fellow region workers. I personally have put in hundreds of hours into the car corral

trying to makeit the best that I could some mistakes were made and some things were overlooked.After putting so much time and effort some things just seemed obvious to me but eventually I realized that some modification need to be made.With the help of this post and others beleive I\we can do better next year. Again thank you.

Steve

• 10 months later...

Well guys, some of us had issues with Hershey last year. I for one could live with it other than the car trailer parking, but in either case, if it doesn't improve we'll find a way to get through it again.

<span style="font-weight: bold">It might pay us all to review last year's complaints and see what gets fixed and what doesn't get fixed when we arrive in 10 more days for the 2008 meet.</span>

<span style="font-weight: bold">To the Hershey Region</span>, regardless of that happens, thank you for all you do. You have a very difficult task year after year, you listen to our complaints, and you do the best that you can do to resolve things. Most often in life you tend to get more complaints than you get compliments, so here's my chance to thank you in advance.

Signing up to chair a national meet has been the best thing that I could've done to get an idea of the pain that you folks live through year after year. When you see the other side of the coin it does change your perspective. From an educational standpoint I wish that more people would do the same.

Once again, thank you for all you've done and continue to do for the benefit of all of AACA. Although at times it seems like you're in the middle of a 3-ring circus, you folks really do give us "The Greatest Show on Earth."