Sign in to follow this  
Paul Falabella

2007 Hershey Show Sat.10/13

Don't you think this issue is Herco. When I first started going (70's) you could camp in the trailer parking for FREE.

Later $5 a night, then 10 then 20 then 30 then 40 then $60 and you have to pay for 5 days.

So to park your camper is $300 so the $70 swapmeet spot looks a lot more attractive.

When it got that high I started staying in a motel.

I guess I could have gotten a swapmeet space but I agree with you that swap meet should be for swapping, not parking.

But on the lighter side the $70 goes to the Hershey Region, the $300 goes to Herco.

I walked back to the spots behind the stadium where my friends have (but haven't used recently) 5 spaces. This area has turned into a parking lot within the past 2 to 3 years.

On the discussion regarding HERCO: unless HERCO has had a change of heart they would just as soon see this meet end. It is a pain in the butt for them since they are getting the park ready for Christmas and Halloween, which is much more profitable and a lot less work. When I dealt with HERCO (business related for many years) very few had a lot of positive to say and the fall meet.

What would HERCo and the Hershey area Chamber of Commerce do if another place was found to have the fall meet in eastern Pa. Is there a place to hold something that big or does HERCO have everyone by the short hairs? Seems to me that if the buisnesses in the Hershey area found out that the show was going to be relocated they would be having a fit that they would be loosing alot of $'s for that week.

Many vendors do not specialize in one brand or any one type of part. It would be impossible to change this. And for what? It has worked great since 1973 when I started and I don't want anyone messing up the best show in the country by experimenting.

[qutoe]Right now Hershey Region knows what vendors are selling what brands or they could not put that information in the Hershey Program each year.

They really don't know. The vendor each year fills out a form (for the retuening vendors it's done in somthing like December) and on that form is a spot of a code, that being the category THE VENDOR wishes to be placed in the book. I could have filled out that form for the catergory of Willys-Overland in Dec but by 10 months later have sold ALL my Willys parts. (which almost happened the other year). Now I just have some Ford stuff, GM stuff, Mopar stuff, some pre-war stuff and some post war stuff. Herhsey Region PRESUMES that the vendor is bringing stuff that falls into that category.

The other thing that happens when you slipt them up like that is say a guy has mainly GM stuff. The guy that is looking for the grille emblem for that Contintal Beacon probably won't ever find it cause each year he is busy in the Misc section while this guy that has it is in the GM section. There are a lot of vendor that have more stuff than just what what they are listed under. Vendors are only allowed one listing, therfore they will put what they are planning to 10 months later, carry to Hershey.

I don't know where else they could have it considering the amount of space required, facilities needed, township & HERCO cooperation required, necessary lodging, etc. Moving Hershey would be like moving the Indy 500. Yes there are some issues however look at how large this meet has grown.

I wouldn't feel to bad for the local businesses as this area is full of tourists for 6 months or more most of the year. HERCO isn't as bad as some may think unless things have changed dramatically within the past 5 years.

I heard something to the effect that Hershey region had the chance to use a closed airport the goverment owns and that Herco went all the way the governer's office to get that option blocked. Also that they did something of the same to get a RV show move from under a multi acre enclosed building to the Herco facilites.

Truth or not, I'm not 100% sure but I consider the source to be pretty reliable.

Follow the money. I dont care how good the town, village or region is in, five days of hershey puts some mighty big bucks in the coffers.

David, I am unaware of any closed airports be it government, private or public owned anywhere near this area. I believe the RV show has moved from Hershey either this year or last year? I know they had a major RV show not to long ago at the farm show arena in Harrisburg.

the "world's largest RV show" was held at Hershey this year and last Mid September. It is mostly contanied around the Giant Center...over night parking on the "AACA show field" and spectators on the "other side of the bridge lot".

Both of these are false! The RV Show moved from the Farm Show complex to the Giant Center. No one forced them.

There is part of the Harrisburg Airport that is unused but I have NEVER heard this brought up as a possible alternative site. Quite frankly, it simply would not work for a variety of reasons.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1937hd45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Be honest, Hershey IS an RV Show! </div></div>

Thats no joke! There was some big dollar RV's present..

My friend & I were joking about that at Hershey..

It's the only place in the world you can buy a rusty $5 car part from a guy in a $400,000 RV grin.gif

Well of course that is a very old story that has long ago been resolved.

South_paw, you are right, we watched a parade of very expensive RV's coming in early Sunday night and it was just fun to watch them.

Steve, I'll betcha it was more fun to watch them try to park in their spaces! smile.gif

Wayne

PS, Saw two incidents involving RV's today. One ran a tractor trailer off the road on I81 because he couldn't see out of his right said mirror. The other had jackknifed his pu and Air Stream on I83. crazy.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Steve Moskowitz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

South_paw, you are right, we watched a parade of very expensive RV's coming in early Sunday night and it was just fun to watch them. </div></div>

Steve, Serious question, may be my first check your file. Has any thought been given to a special parking section for the Large bus type RV's in the flea market? Might make for easy entry & exit if layed out with tapered //angled parallel spots.

Like I said, I wasn't sure but it came from someone in the general area (no one on the forum). I really had no good way of checking it out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1937hd45</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Steve, Serious question, may be my first check your file. Has any thought been given to a special parking section for the Large bus type RV's in the flea market? Might make for easy entry & exit if layed out with tapered //angled parallel spots. </div></div>

There is a BIG, EMPTY spot over in the stadium between the goal posts!

Should be able to fit a bunch of these big RV beasts on the football field. LOTS of unused space there.

Seriously though, would not using angled parallel spots take up more space and result in few flea market spaces?

If it would result in less spaces one would think that doing this would not be the best use of space especially since space is in such short supply.

BTW, has anyone took notice how many "posts" and "views" this thread has generated????

Interesting how this thread appears to be one of the biggest, most read threads on the forums.

Charlie, The RV will have the same footprint angled or covering the 4-5 spots it has now. They would be far easier to park if they were all headed in the same direction. They generally don't need much display space, card table and two chairs. Nobody ever mentions quality or value of items offered in a flea market spot. I would have gladly accepted $500. for EVERYTHING I had on display Wednesday. Other vendors could have $10,000. or more on display on one folding table.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">BTW, has anyone took notice how many "posts" and "views" this thread has generated????

Interesting how this thread appears to be one of the biggest, most read threads on the forums. </div></div>

As a kid I was in this hobby for <span style="text-decoration: underline">years</span> before I discovered the AACA did <span style="text-decoration: underline">anything</span> other than Hershey. For most people Hershey <span style="font-style: italic">is</span> the AACA.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1937hd45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Charlie, The RV will have the same footprint angled or covering the 4-5 spots it has now. They would be far easier to park if they were all headed in the same direction. They generally don't need much display space, card table and two chairs. Nobody ever mentions quality or value of items offered in a flea market spot. I would have gladly accepted $500. for EVERYTHING I had on display Wednesday. Other vendors could have $10,000. or more on display on one folding table. </div></div>

I agree the big RVs would be easier to park if they were all in the same direction.

I was thinking that some of the fields have somewhat odd shapes which might mean less spaces overall if RVs parked at angles in those areas.

There is no doubt that some vendors have some quality parts on display in a small area. It is unfortunate that these vendors have to share the field with other vendors who violate the rules selling non-car related items and of course, the "parkers".

Personally, I do not see this situation improving in the future. With EBay, the rising cost of fuel and other expenses as well as the aging of the vendors themselves more and more vendors will have a hard time making a trip to Hershey. These good car related vendors will continue to be replaced by non-car related vendors and parkers as Hershey Region attempts to keep the flea market fields full and revenues flowing.

I think 2007 set a record for least time spent walking the flea market, but I'm fine with that. Found some great stuff, spent all my money PLUS the one item I put a deposit on. When I think of it I'm kind of happy there were empty, low volume, or vendors displaying stuff I have no interest in. I can speedwalk with my hand cart, no need to look at every booth.

First of all, I do not and can not speak for the region. This is their show but national does try to help them when we can and when appropriate.

Despite what some make think, many people who have come for years expect certain vendors to be at certain locations. Moving vendors may make sense to some but be absolutely unwanted by others. Vendors have developed friendships with neighboring vendors, etc. I would think that the use of the football field would not be available for heavy vehicles due to the potential damage. The field is used for many statewide events and I believe had a football game the week after the show.

The region has worked with certain vendor groups when they were able to such as the grouping of brass car guys and speed enthusiasts.

There is no easy answer to some of these posts as it is the way you look at the flea market. Yes, at times I also felt it would be easier to have certain vendors in one location but I also remember (in my younger days!) how much fun it was to "sift" through the vendor spaces. It was work but I also know that I have found that rare part that was sitting among the '57 Chevy parts that was my prize for visiting all the vendors.

Everything can be improved and the region every year has made changes. Some have worked great, others may not have but it does bother me that SOME people think this is a simple event to run. It is not and I personally have seen over the last 4 years how hard the region folks work on this event and in many cases with very little thanks. They suffer the abuse of people who do not follow the rules, want special privileges and who do not bother to read and try and comprehend the guidelines. MOST do, but the others make life very difficult for the volunteers.

Also, the perception that HERCO is in any way the bad guy is wrong. Naturally they are a business and have to make sound business decisions for the company but they do work very closely with the region and have also been a big help to national as well. This show is important to them and they want it to be successful. Their company puts in a lot of work and expense for us.

This thread has had a lot of good and constructive thoughts and I am sure the region officers are reviewing the comments. Just remember, what you may think is a great idea others may not like. Real hard satisfying everyone!

Well said! smile.gif

As I have tried to say previously, We all need to thank the Hershey Region for the effort that they put into this show, Politely offer constructive criticism, where appropriate, be patient as change takes time.... and try to refrain from ugly name calling when someone has a different opinion than that which we personally have.

There have been some good suggestions given in this wide-ranging discussion. Some of them are not practical. Some of them probably are. Hopefully we all have the same intention.... Making Future Hershey Meets even Better..... smile.gif