Sign in to follow this  
Paul Falabella

2007 Hershey Show Sat.10/13

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I hope I can make the opportunity to go to Hershey some day.

</div></div>

We all do Ivan! It would be an honor to shake your hand. Maybe we should all get together and start a "Bring Ivan to the States" Fund? smile.gif

Wayne

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: alsancle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It will be very interesting to see what the common interest is between the guy with the 32 ford and the guy with the 82 Chevette. </div></div>

How about: "The both like antique cars"...

Or is this a trick question?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: R W Burgess</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I know this will open up a can of worms, and this is no disrepect to the women of our club who like aq setdown breakfast, but the picture below shows how one (or two smile.gif ) can easily miss the long lines at the show field....... </div></div>

Ok Wayne, I'll bite. Very nice looking car in the picture, but what else am I missing?...

Steve, this thread started out as tirades about how hard it was to get on the show field, and, in fact, it was at 9-11-12 o'clock. The picture I posted above shows a very empty field with plenty of turning space.

"The early bird catches the worm", they say! smile.gif

Wayne

post-31395-143137952134_thumb.jpg

post-31395-143137952137_thumb.jpg

I went to this show with me son and we had a GREAT time. Yes, we parked, like forever from the show and walked and walked just to get in. Yes, I saw vendor spaces not selling anything and thought it would be great to buy one just to park on so that I could bring my wife who can't walk well. I thought the gas and electric carts were great, again thinking of my wife.(And my knees :-).

But I sure am glad that I went.....if I listened to all the complaining that has gone on in this forum, I might never have gone.

You worry about bringing in new people....look in the mirror to see why they aren't coming.

Honestly............................................

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: stock_steve</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: alsancle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It will be very interesting to see what the common interest is between the guy with the 32 ford and the guy with the 82 Chevette. </div></div>

Or is this a trick question? </div></div>

It's not a trick question. It's a trick answer, one that resides in us who do enjoy comprehensive displays of automotive history.

It's a very different experience going to the Philadelphia Art Museum and going to the Warhol Museum, one is diverse in it's display and the other is highly focused. The perspective that diversity provides to both the participant and the spectator is priceless. Also the diversity of exposure provides avenues of discovery that some treasure, and others (in their own mind) have outgrown. If one is so averse to new experience, perhaps Hershey isn't for you.

It's sad that so many in the pre-war community proclaim such aversion with pride. It's encouraging and hopeful that so few (if any) of the newer antique afficienados do the same. I know which camp will provide growth in both the overall hobby interest and in the pre-war cars as well as time takes it's toll on all of us, and it isn't the camp of intolerance.

============

Alsuncle, there most certainly <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline">is</span></span> a common interest among '32 Fords and Chevettes, and among Duryeas, Duesenbergs, and Whizzers as well. I hope you find it someday like most of us have. smile.gif

Dave, Would you be so kind as to post a photo of the highly desireable 1983 Chevette? We cut up most of them in the North East for modified stock bodies.

1937hd45,

I might as well jump into the fray as well....

As I said earlier, I laughed when I first saw a Chevette drive onto an AACA Showfield.... But I did go over and take a look and remembered "the days of my youth" when I looked at it.

I think that my 1929 Model A Phaeton is a really nice car, But.... when it was new it was just a run of the mill cheap car designed to be low cost transportation.

I'll bet that Chevette turns heads on the showfield in 50 year or so.

The great thing about viewing automotive history on the showfield is to be able to look at ALL of the years and observe the changes. I love my car, I really want to buy a brass car.... but I enjoy looking at most of the later cars as well. I just wish I could figure out a way to have more time to see them all.

They made sone great Modified Stock Cars out of Chevetts and I watched them on Saturday nights, when one is on an AACA show field in class 24A chances are I'll look at it. I'm just clueless what a street verson looks like. Life is short, I only look at things I'm interested in.

We didn't see the (ahem) "'Vette" this year. Hemmings took a picture of it last year at Hershey, though, ref:

http://blog.hemmings.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/10/Hersheyantics_6127_resized.jpg

From: http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2006/...ers-of-hershey/

Here's what they said about it:

"...Another show find - one I’m sure won’t get into the magazine because a certain Lentinello can’t stand them. Joseph Krajnak, the owner of this 1976 Chevette, said he bought it as a beater, but has received enough positive responses at cruise-ins that he decided to reserve it for show. I figure, if Gremlins competed against them and Gremlins are so cool right now, then why not Chevettes?..."

That Gremlin's nice, Jay!

Looks like "that double-decker bus" made it into their Hershey '07 review: http://blog.hemmings.com/

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why stop at 25 years old? I like a lot of the 2007 cars and I am sure many other people would like to "see" them also. After all who has seen all the new models? I suggest that all cars of all years be allowed, then anyone who likes cars will be happy. It would be interesting if a new car could score enough points to get 1st</div></div>

<span style="font-weight: bold">NO WAY!!!</span> We have so many cars at Hershey now that if you opened it up to allow brand new cars you'd be having people entering their vehicles in the show at Hershey for the convenience of parking, it would be heavily abused and there would be a bigger mess than what we have now.

The 25 year rule prevents that. Although there are some against the 25 year rule, many of the current oponents to the 25 year rule seem to forget that their outlooks were probably different when it involved a car from their generation.

MCHinson: You're right, I do feel that there were more people there as spectators. I had a steady stream of people there to the point where I didn't really get the chance where I could get away from the truck. I know a few other vehicle owners that I talked to that said the same thing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dave@Moon</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: stock_steve</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: alsancle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It will be very interesting to see what the common interest is between the guy with the 32 ford and the guy with the 82 Chevette. </div></div>

Or is this a trick question? </div></div>

It's not a trick question. It's a trick answer, one that resides in us who do enjoy comprehensive displays of automotive history.

It's a very different experience going to the Philadelphia Art Museum and going to the Warhol Museum, one is diverse in it's display and the other is highly focused. The perspective that diversity provides to both the participant and the spectator is priceless. Also the diversity of exposure provides avenues of discovery that some treasure, and others (in their own mind) have outgrown. If one is so averse to new experience, perhaps Hershey isn't for you.

It's sad that so many in the pre-war community proclaim such aversion with pride. It's encouraging and hopeful that so few (if any) of the newer antique afficienados do the same. I know which camp will provide growth in both the overall hobby interest and in the pre-war cars as well as time takes it's toll on all of us, and it isn't the camp of intolerance.

============

Alsuncle, there most certainly <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline">is</span></span> a common interest among '32 Fords and Chevettes, and among Duryeas, Duesenbergs, and Whizzers as well. I hope you find it someday like most of us have. smile.gif </div></div>

You know, I noticed that the Chevette owners seemed much more open minded, tolerant and diverse then those elistist, closed minded and "experience averse" old car owners. Not only that, I think that some of those early car guys are *gasp* Republicans !!! :-)

Let me just start off by saying that I have been attending the Hershey swap meet and show way before I even started showing our antique cars there probably for over the past 10 years. The last 4 years we have shown our cars on the show field and have noticed the mentioned changes taking place over the years. I understand that running such a large event is not an easy task and my hat goes off to those volunteers and workers who take on such an amazing feat. However, with that being said, the AACA and/or the Hershey Region seem to have lost sight of the fact what the AACA stands for..... Antique car preservation. For instance, why were the show cars that were supposed to be on asphalt (supposedly 2006 was a one year only happening)actually on grass again and the vendors were on the asphalt? Personally, I spend an extraordinary amount of time getting my vehicle cleaned and shined for this event only to have grass and mud thrown up in the wheel wells pulling onto the field. In years past, the vendors were on the grass while the show cars were on the asphalt. If this is how our expensive vehicles are going to be treated, please do not look for me at this show in years to come! God help us if it had been raining during the show as no one would have been able to safely get out of the mud hole without having to be towed out and then the possibly having damage occur from being yanked out of the mud.

Secondly, I was a little upset with the person parking my class as he had me move around about 3 times before I got aggrivated and stopped my car in the middle of the row till he knew exactly where I was supposed to go. It got tiresome moving from one spot, back to my original spot, and then back to the spot where I was just at. If you have written out who is supposed to park where prior to them arriving, please do it or have a name card down on the ground where you are supposed to park like they do at the Grand National events.

While I am on the subject of parking, I thought this year was extremely tight parking as I could barely get out of my vehicle without having it rub doors with the car next to me, and I am a skinny 31 year old male. There was a person who arrived later in the morning who parked in our class with a Daytona who had to have someone else park his vehicle because it was so tight that he would not have been able to get out opening his door due to his size. I understand some cars are larger and wider than others but this needs to be taken into consideration when the planning is done. Also, there seemed to have been cars parked in the isles. This event is by preregistering only so why was not enough space left for them to park in their rows? The above items left me with a disorganized view of the show this year.

Next, and maybe this is just my view but others have mentioned it as well, why is the show cars so far away from the center of the event? Years past, the show cars have been the focal point of the show located in the center, next to the Giant Center or the Hershey Stadium where plenty of food vendors were present. The food vendors were quite lacking at the show field this year even though it was an improvement over none from last year. When my father and I went to go shopping through the vendors on Sat morning after our class was judged, it seemed like 90% of the vendors were gone from the swap meet and this was at 11 AM on Sat morning. Other spaces in the swap meet seems to be rented by people that just wanted to get a closer parking space for their daily drivers so they didn't have to walk that far to drop off parts to their vehicle.

Again, I have noticed the changes over the past couple of years and I understand that last year was a transition period which was supposed to be corrected by this year with the show cars being on paved ground. From a spectator point and a participant stand point, it seems like the AACA is catoring to the vendors instead of catoring to the vehicle owners who belong to the club. Granted, the vendors pay more money but the vendors is not who makes up the AACA, it is people with antique cars like me and my neighbor down the street. Also, the majority of your clientelle is older people yet you have them park so far away that it is difficult for them to walk to the show and swap meet. No thought of transportation was made available to these people in the form of busses or shuttles. Again, just a thought for next year.

I hope this is just a temporary thing but if this trend continues, as much as I hate to say it, the Hershey meet might soon meet its demise as I see a downward spiral trend starting. Personally, I prefer asphalt parking as it is cleaner and you are on solid ground making the cleaning of your undercarriage a lot easier on the owner. The grass parking is nice for pictures and giving shade with some trees but at the same point, if it rains (and Hershey is know for its rainy shows) you are going to have a lot more unhappy people when they have to pay extra money to have their vehicles pulled out of the mud. I know from experience with having a high performance muscle car that when you let the clutch out in first gear, the rear tires will spin on any kind of wet or soggy ground. Last year it took me over 4 hours to clean the mud out from my rear wheel wells just from leaving the grass show field since I was parked in a soft section. Personally, I could certainly think of better time to be spent than cleaning dirt and grass out from an area which was pristine only a couple hours prior.

I know the AACA is trying to recruit younger members and this is coming from a 31 year old member so I hope the younger generation input does not fall on deaf ears as this will be the last time that my vehicle sees the grass show field at Hershey unless it gets changed back to paved ground for the show cars.

Did everyone see the Tommy Ivo rail Bruce Larson had in Class 24A? What a looker, thanks for bringing it Bruce!

Bob, I'm embarrassed to say that this is the only picture I took of it. Even looks like Bruce bending over the rail. Sometimes, one needs to slow down for the quality pictures of life. Sorry! frown.gif

I understand he fired it up at some point during the week. Did anyone witness that?

Wayne

DSC02766.jpg

Very cool! One thing you could always count on at the Hershey Show was seeing some stuff you wouldn't see anywhere else. This year it was the milk/delivery trucks which were fabulous. Last year it was the race cars. I hope that sort of thing that can continue year after year. I really hope that "diversity" means stuff like this and not different colors of some particular econo-box made during the oil crunch.

NOBODY ASKED ME EITHER..... but here you go:

I liked parking on the grass. I thought that we were parked too closely together but it was enjoyable none the less. Yes it was a bit dusty, but for all of you AACA members that brought your "living room couches" out for judging, dust happens in the outside world.

The judging was as expected, so we really didn't expect anything there especially when only one aspect of the car was pointed out. We laughed about it and pressed on with viewing the cars there. The crowds loved the car, and I really liked the drive in and out where the spectators lined the road the view the cars. That was almost parade-like and was a lot of fun. Unfortunately, many vendors had left by noon Saturday - but we found the only bottle of transmission fluid for sale that day!

So all-in-all, we had a great trip. We toured the Gettysburg battlefield in the Cadillac, and saw the new monuments; visited with my brother and his 1949 Cadillac; and enjoyed the show. Again - the people enjoyed seeing the car and talking to us about it. I must add that I was so surprised at how good the food was at the banquet. A veteran of many KofC banquets where the food was "Navy-quality" I was impressed. The dinner company was also great and I enjoyed talking and bantering with the Hershey Region folks there.

Bravo-Zulu Hershey Region. Your best credit is that "we had a great time."

I must agree that there seemed to be a lot more spectators there this year at the show field compared to last year. Maybe it was because there were so many vendors that left by Sat morning that no one could get any parts and figured they would not waste a trip and check out the show cars?

Here is a closeup of the front end on the Tommy Ivo car, love those wheel pants. Note the AACA Race Car Certification plaque, they always get highlighted in the magazine coverage these restorations get. Hope the National Awards Team took note of the car and Bruce gets to go to Philadelphia, the car deserves it IMO.

post-31159-143137952667_thumb.jpg

post-31159-14313795267_thumb.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jaxops</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

The crowds loved the car, and I really liked the drive in and out where the spectators lined the road the view the cars. That was almost parade-like and was a lot of fun. </div></div>

Jaxops was this you?

56 75 series Click here

More Hershey Pics click here

Nice car!

Lou

First: Bruce did the race car proving run on Friday morning with the dragster-AWESOME. Next: I believe that the cars entering the show could have used a road crossing from the car corral closer to the top of the hill, thereby avoiding vehicles leaving the green and orange fields.