Gasoline Prices

Guest Hal Davis (MODEL A HAL)

I was just curious as to what gasoline was costing around the nation (or world for that matter). Here in Savannah, Georgia, it topped out about a month ago at around $1.59/gal. It has slowly been coming back down. It is now about $1.40/gal. My wife went to Statesboro, GA yesterday and filled up for $1.20/gal. Amazing what 50 miles from a tourist town can do for gas prices. All these prices are for "Brand Name" gas. The off brands are typically 3-5 cents cheaper around here.<P>Forgot to mention the prices I used above are for regular 87 octane. We got rid of the 5.0 Mustang a couple of years ago. It would let you know real quick that it didn't appreciate anything less than 93 octane. I'm glad I'm not having to feed it anymore.<p>[ 06-28-2001: Message edited by: MODEL A HAL ]

Gasolene or gasoline is cheaper now than it was in 1925...those old gas leaking, driping, gas eaters they had back then compares poorly to to the out pocket expense of today ,in 1925 you paid lot more, not counting the oil burning and loss ,I have a chart somewhere that shows adjusted gas prices since 1900 up to 1990's. gas price today is relatively good. Spencer , Bishop , ca.

This morning I filled my tank with the cheapest gas in town: Exxon 87 octane for $1.85.9/gal. Any gas station in this area that sells regular for less than $2.00/gal is a congested zoo!<BR>We are not some remote little burg with difficult access. Our little area is populated by about 200,000 people on a major rail line and a U.S. Highway about 100 miles from a multi-million population center.

Kitkat1949,<P>I suppose we, here in Georgia, should consider ourselves lucky that our gas prices are as low as they are, but I can promise you that our salaries are low to match. All things are relative. <P>Our local news announced a few weeks ago that Georgia's gas prices were among the lowest in the nation, BUT Savannah had the highest in the state.<P>My wife and I carpool. Work is 20 miles for me and 34 for her. It is not but a couple of miles out of her way to drop me off and pick me back up so it only makes sense.

Guest BruceW

Around this part of Maryland, the prices were arouns $1.65 a month ago. Now, most stations are selling regular for $1.45 to $1.49. <BR>There was a Royal Farms up in the upper part of the county that was selling at $1.49 and was the only source around.. until a Super WaWa moved in across the road and started selling gas. They have suddenly went into a price war.. .latest price has been $1.33/gal for regular and both seem willing to continue dropping the price to match each other's price reductions.

Guest SalG (Sal Grenci)

Hal, Long Island has cheep gas for us, $1.779 for regular @ Hess. I love NY taxes mad.gif" border="0 I was on Martha's Vineyard a few weeks ago, $2.299 for regular.SalG

Well, in the "capital of the free world", gasoline ranges from about $1.65 in northern VA to about $1.81 in MD. But as soon as you get about 35 to 40 miles away from the center of it all (you know what I mean) beyond the suburbs, prices drop off about 10 to 20 cents per gallon.

Guest BruceW

Ted,<P>Its kinda amazing how prices can vary in a relatively small state like Maryland. I guess its the difference of being in the Washington Metro area versus being in the "sticks". <P>Drove to Williamsport last Saturday for Mason-Dixon Region show and the prices there were about the same as ours.<p>[ 06-28-2001: Message edited by: BruceW ]

I've seen pictures of gas stations taken in the 1920's where the price of gas is listed as $0.25/gal. According to the <a href="ftp://ftp.bls.gov/pub/special.requests/cpi/cpiai.txt">Bureau of Labor Statistics</a>, the CPI in 1925 averaged 17.5. In 2000 it was 172.2, so that "cheap gas" in the 1920's cost about $2.45 in today's dollars.<P>That 1920's gas probably had an octane rating between 60 and 70.<P>I think the average car of the era got between 10 and 15 miles/gallon in average service. Certainly bragging rights were claimed if you achieved mileage in the high teens.<P>That makes putting San Francisco Bay Area $1.95/gallon for 89 octane gas into my 1991 car that gets about 20 mpg in mixed driving look okay. It makes my wife's Prius look fantastic.

BruceW - I was in Balto. a couple of Sundays ago and on the way back I noticed that Freestate had a price around 25 cents per gallon cheaper than the majors in the DC suburbs. As you know, it's hard to tell where Balto and DC suburbs start/end.<P>Tod - just to add to your data about the relative price of gasoline, 50 years ago regular gas was about 30 cents in Ventura, CA. Most people made about $1.50 to 2.00 per hour. I made 50 cents (teenager & minimum wage) and was happy to have it. Today, around DC it's hard to get anyone for the MacJobs so they pay above minimun wage. My guess is the average wage is about $15.00 to $16.00 per hour. You do the math, but in relation to historic prices gasoline at $1.75 isn't way out of line when it's inflation adjusted.

Here in Broken Arrow, Okla. Gasoline this afternoon hit $1.169. It's 3 cents per gallon cheaper if you have a Walmart gasoline card. cool.gif" border="0

I just drove from Houston ( $1.46) to Austin($ 1.38). I then went down to a little town called Buda where they are having gas wars. I filled that thirsty truck of mine for 97 cents a gallon. It was a zoo to get it too.<BR>On the way home I stopped in Luling and paid $ 1.42.<BR>Bill

Hal,<P>I live in the Bay area of California, we are now paying $1.80/gal. regular. Premium gas is still hovering around $2.00/gal.<BR>We are getting ripped off! I'm envious! We are planning a Motorhome trip in July, can't wait to see cheaper prices in the rest of the country.

Regular here in my part of Wisconsin is running $1.51-$1.59 a gallon. That's down from a high of $1.89 a gallon a short time ago. Premium went over $2.00, and is now running $1.69-$1.79.<P>Of course, we have that "funny" gas, which has less gas in it, so we have to buy more. The ethanol gas give me 3-4 miles per gallon less. The farmers in our area are benefiting financially from the ethanol decision, so not everyone is complaining.<P>We look for every opportunity to buy "real" gas, but only when we don't have to drive out of our way to get it. The nearest station is two counties away.<P>Jan K.<BR>Wis Region<p>[ 06-28-2001: Message edited by: JanK ]

Diesel is another story here. Throughout this whole ordeal, diesel prices never exceeded 1.299. Savannah is a port town. There are dang near as many container trucks as cars. If diesel prices had risen like gas prices, it would have really impacted that industry. I think they kept the diesel prices affordable for that reason and just stuck it to the rest of us.

Guest rcirilli

Near Pittsburgh today regular was 1.43 it's been coming down from a high of about 1.79 but that was a while ago.

Guest SalG (Sal Grenci)

Hi all, We are at $1.659 today in Babylon, NY on Long Island for Hess 87 self serve. SalG shocked.gif" border="0

We noticed a lot of stations at $1.409 in our travels today. Not bad, just before the holidays. We usually get a spike right before the 4th.<P>Wauwatosa is a suburb to the west of Milwaukee, but still in Milwaukee County -- just in case you wanted to know...<P>Jan K.<BR>Wis Region

Here in Northeastern Nebraska , gas is at 1.29.9 a gallon . Was at $1.87.9 a few weeks ago . Glad to see it coming back down !!!

Guest BruceW

Just talked to a friend of mine in Kingsville, Texas (about 100 miles from Mexican border) and he said that he got some gas there for $1.12/gal but most of the places are $1.22'gal.<P>Another friend in Sheridan, Arkansas said tonight that gas there is $1.44/gal, down about 10 cents from its high.

Guest 18DodgeBrothers

Gasoline here was 1.209 for 87 this morning. Topped out around 1.85 or so first part of June. We are in southeast Ohio, I-70 and I-77 intersect here and our gas is usually higher than it is 20 miles away.<P>Les Hoffmann

It's about time we started hearing from the politicians again. When prices went up they screamed and yelled about the obscene profiteering of the oil companies. Now I expect they will come back and tell us how <B>THEY</B> singlehandedly forced the prices down. <B>CRAP!</B> It's called the law of supply and demand. <P>Do you folks who came on this forum with all kinds of far out ideas of how to force prices down really think you had anything to do with the drop? If so, I have a bridge in New York for sale. <P>IT'S SUPPLY AND DEMAND. ECONOMICS 101 <P>By the way, did anyone read in the papers last week about the illustrious senator Tom Harkin from Iowa. He has been one of the loudest ranters and demigods in attacking the oil companies. Well--- it seems that the good Senator owns $500,000 worth of stock in CONOCO and his wife is on the Board of Directors of an oil company. <P>Hypocrite, thy name is Harkin of Iowa.<P>hvs<p>[ 07-01-2001: Message edited by: hvs ]

Back when cars had fins and men were men, I can remember routing myself across town a couple of times per week to save 2 or 3 cents per gallon on a fillup. After reading about all of these locations with gas under $1.30, I'm thinking of swinging on by from DC to some of these places that you folks are posting from. The two stations at the entrance of this complex still are at $1.799 on July 1. I figure that I can make a 375 mile round trip at 25 mpg and break even. grin.gif" border="0<P>And hvs, some DFers certainly did rant on and on about the screwing we were all getting at the hands (excuse the expression) of those big bad oil companies. And those schemes to teach oil companies a lesson??? wink.gif" border="0

I was just at the GM Nationals in Carlisle, where gas was 1.35-1.37 for regular, which jives well with the price in Harrisburg. <P>Now for a question, why on earth is gas 10-15 cents cheaper in Harrisburg PA than it is 50 miles in any direction? As far as I know there is no refinery or major distribution center anywhere near there. <P>And Howard, demand for gas is <I> always </I> up this time of year. Normally this would mean that the price of gas would rise or at least be stable. The talk of conservation apparantly wasn't just talk, it worked! smile.gif" border="0 Now we'll see if people go back to driving their Expeditions out for every pack of cigarettes they want like they were a few months ago. If so, the price goes back up.<P>As for me, I just joined the Sierra Club.<p>[ 07-01-2001: Message edited by: Dave@Moon ]

Guest COMPACTBC

Here in Orange County Ca, I have noticed that the price difference from town to town has a LOT to do with the price of the real estate that the gas station is sitting on. Its economics 101---if it costs more to build a gas station in Newport Beach (home of $1,000,000+ homes) than Buena Park (homes can be had for about 85% less) it stands to reason that the oil company is going to factor in the land cost. rolleyes.gif" border="0

Howard, the price is going down because we greedy bast*** station owners made enough profit for a while, so we're lowering the prices. At least that's what some people think. wink.gif" border="0 <P>Have a good 4th of July!!!

Al ~ Does that mean you made so much money that you can shut down for a week and come out for the Buzzy Tour next month? Gee, we hope so! rolleyes.gif" border="0rolleyes.gif" border="0rolleyes.gif" border="0 <BR>~ Howard