Young AACA member

West Peterson

My 15-year-old son, a junior AACA member, found this 1983 Volkswagen Scirocco on a personal web page last spring. The car was located in St. Louis, and the owner was asking $1,500, but said he'd take $500 because it wouldn't start the last time he tried. Not trusting the owner's statement that it was a rust-free car, I found an AACA member who lived about a mile away. He went over to check it out and said it looked very nice.

We went, we saw, we towed it home.

Six months later...

After installing a new fuel tank ($130), a new fuel pump ($125), a new fuel filter ($30), a new battery ($60), new tires ($200), oil change (4 free changes with the purchase of tires), new muffler with stainless steel tips ($90), new emergency brake cables and brake hoses, brake fluid ($60), and rebuilding the brakes (no charge... thanks to good friends), she started right up and went down the road as smooth as can be. The clutch and 5-speed gearbox work well, and the leather interior looks very nice.

For a grand total of $1,200, he now has a unique car with trendy looks that can also be parked on the AACA show field (in 2008).

And, no, dad is not paying for anything, except I paid to rent a trailer and paid for the gas to and from St. Louis. (Should I mention that I had to rebuild my transmission when we got home???)

post-33613-143137951001_thumb.jpg

Good memory. It's still being used as a shelf in the neighbor's garage. My other neighbor (a widow) has a 1957 Thunderbird that has been sitting for about 15 years, and a third neighbor, who just died, has a 1972 or 73 Mercedes-Benz 350SL (yes, 350!) that he had bought new. All these cars are too expensive for a teenager. Heck, they're too expensive for a dad who has two teenagers. frown.gifcry.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Nice to see that young folk is interested in "old" cars.. Hey, those are our daily drivers here in Finland smile.gif (well, maybe they are quietly moved for retirement)

This is the kind of a car I bought when I was 17-years old - 10 years ago...

Aaaagh!I'm getting old.

Before and after pictures:

Turku_1998_2.jpg

Turku_1998_4.jpg

oikealta.JPG

All my money has gone for the hobby since. But atleast I have these FINE old cars. My friends at my age don't have anything except loans for a few years old cars and maybe for overpriced apartments. No savings - no investements. Nothing.

I have spent my money wisely whistle.gif and the prices are going up!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mrpushbutton</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Milburn Drysdale would be proud of that car! </div></div>

A friend in Greensboro NC owns a 62. His NC vanity plate says "MILBURN".

Even people old enough to know often quiz him about it.

I have become partial to mid 60s Chryslers lately. For that matter about any 60s fullsize or personal luxury car. I'll never leave the Oldsmobiles behind, but I can see branching off in other directions.

And for those of us who grump about not being able to find parts and how much they cost when you do find them, think of Mika and the other guys in Europe who restore American cars. They have my undying respect.