1950's Chevrolet Emblem

hddennis

Guest Dave Wyatt

A hood emblem should have the contour of the hood on the back side depending upon the year, while a trunk emblem will be more or less flat. Some of the trunk emblems of that era had a recess along the bottom to use as a lift handle for the trunk.

I tried looking in up in the 1947-66 chevy dealer parts manual, it wasn't in that one. It may be a renumbered later issue part or a very early issue that was re numbered early on. Can you verify the # you listed is what is on it? is there any #'s on the chrome bezel?

I'm still leaning on a 56 or 58 application.

• 2 weeks later...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hddennis</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can any of you Chevy guys look this number up and tell me what it fits? #3767502 Thanks, Howard Dennis </div></div>

Is this a known good part number? Or the casting number off of the back of the part? The closest I was able to come is an illustration from the '74 printing of the pre-'64 catalog. I found a 3767501 (502 may be the casting number for this part). 501 is the rear emblem for '56 8 cylinder cars.

Paul

Guest GP Gleason

Interesting! I have a Chevrolet book with every part number for every Chevy from 1938-1962 and it gives the parts group number to which it belongs. 3767501 is group #12.182; 3767503 is group #12.246. <span style="font-weight: bold">3767502</span> does NOT show up in any of my books, including "change in part number" books.

In any case the above two mentioned numbers are ornament or escutcheon for a 1960 Chevrolet full sized car deck lid or tailgate.

Chevy used those casting numbers as part numbers for many, many years........ but not always.

My money's on the '60 chev decklid.

sorry I couldn't be of more help!

Guest GP Gleason

You are partially correct OLDSFAN. That emblem (3767501) is also for the 1956 Chevrolet V8. I missed the part in my books where it was also 1956.

While some 1960 Chevrolet cars with the 348 cu in engine had crossed flags, the "other" Chevys of that year had the emblem pictured in the first post.

My neighbors '60 Impala has the same emblem. I think his car is a 283 cu in.

Anyway:

60imp2dr.jpg

60imp2dr2.jpg

60brookwood.jpg

So..... if you advertised it for sale for a 1956, does it make it more valuable than if it were to sold to fit a 1960?????

Interesting dilemma!

• 4 years later...