Young people in hobby

caf

Guest ZondaC12

Well fortunately (and maybe its just this area and the clubs that happen to be here) but I actually have always paid attention since I read these kinds of discussions on here before my car got on the road and at shows!!!

And I have been pleasantly surprised the last two years that I have seen very few like that. Perhaps its because they find out I have one TOO. Who knows. I also dont say that as in they would place themselves above me for having something I dont, just maybe I have the same type of thing they do and have put as much time and effort as they have (or maybe as much as theyve put hard-earned money if thats the case) and thus they say "ok so this kid will respect these vehicles and not be touching or worse damaging things as if he were entitled to".

All I know is everyone's real friendly round these parts! And I just CANT get enough of the stories, especially those of mayhem-filled adventures (or MIS-adventures!) laugh.gif

I used to get the nay-sayers all the time....

Once just to prove a point I drove a friend's '09 Model T Touring on a tour.. with no trouble.

That got alot of them thinking.. especially considering I was only 16 at the time!

I got my first Model A when I was 15... even tho I'm only 29 now, it seems like I've had it for 40 years.

The nay-sayers just need to wake up and open their minds a bit...

57, I understand what you're saying in many ways, and don't think that anyone is implying that you should have to "pay to get in" by any means.

If I'm not mistaken by reading your posts, you are concerned in getting your vehicle authentic right??

What has worked for me (and may not work for you) is to get involved in the judging program. If you get involved in the judging program, you can sit through the schools, CJE's and ask all the questions that you want and someone should have the answer, or direct you to someone who can. We also have a very good automotive library where you can research information on your own vehicle. With our library you can either come to Hershey and research the information yourself, or you can have someone else do it for you for a nominal fee. In 2008 all members will have limited research services provided free of charge to all AACA members.

One of the things that my father and I have been doing is that while we were restoring a vehicle, we have started judging in the class where the vehicle will be going into once it is completed. During the process it allows you to

1. Understand the judging responsibilities.

2. Understand the judging system.

3. Be able to learn about the vehicles through judging schools and CJE's.

4. Give you the opportunities to get to know the other team captains and judges and be able to "pick their brains" as to what is right and wrong, and know what they look for when judging.

5. Give you the opportunity to apply what you've learned on your own vehicle before you put it on the showfield.

The only problem is that in order for you to take advantage of all of this, you have to JOIN. You can still come to all of our events, but if you want to judge, or if you want your car on our showfields, you have to be a member.

If you don't feel comfortable with talking to the car owners, or with judges, come to an event, look to see if you have a vehicle similar to yours that has a Senior Grand National tab on the front of the vehicle and take a lot of pictures of the car for reference. The Senior Grand National Award is awarded to a vehicle that has scored at least 390 points out of a possible 400 (what some consider the perfect vehicle).

I know $35 may seem like a waste, but with that $35, you will get a world class magazine, access to a great automotive library and research center, free admission to an outstanding auto museum, and some of the lowest vehicle entry fees of all the other automotive clubs. The advantage of being affiliated with AACA is that it allows you to diversify your interests in other types of vehicles that are 25 years or older. Today you have an interest in '57 Plymouths. If later on you decided that you wanted to get a Corvette (just an example), you can bring your Corvette to the same events that you do with your Plymouth and still participate. You can't bring a Model 'A' to a Plymouth Owner's Club event.

In my case I paid the $35, I liked what I saw, and a year later bit the bullet and paid the $600 for a life membership. Yes $600 is a lot of money, but if AACA never raises their dues (which they just did), after 16 years of membership, you will be ahead of the game. My advice to you is try it for a year. You don't have to stay, but if you like what you see, you can get a life membership and be done with it.

As for the local regions, my dad and I started attending some of the different events put on by the local regions for a couple of years and the one that we felt most comfortable at was the region that we joined. One of the other regions was a close second, and the third was a distant third.

As for snobs and grumpy old S.O.B's?? Yup we have 'em, and unfortunately from time to time a few of them have even managed to hold a national office. Just avoid the individuals who are like that and don't let them get you down. If they're holding a national office or attempting to get a position on the national level, just remember to vote for someone else.

Think about what I've said, give it some thought, and give us a try.

57 Plymouth, just to expand on some of that, the primary way a guy with a 1957 Plymouth (or 1957 Pontiac, like me) can learn about details on their car is to study as many as possible, take pictures, and determine what is correct (look at Dodges and DeSotos too). You well know that you cannot go to the bookstore and buy a restoration manual for it like you can for your Camaro. If you are at a national show, be it AACA, WPC or Plymouth club, you will learn more than at a local show where you will (presumably) rarely see another 1957 Plymouth. Even if your car is not judged (mine have never been) you will get a more authentic selection to inspect for your own information.

I would also think the Plymouth club should have a technical advisor program to help with your questions on this, and of course these are helpful reasons to be in the clubs.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Oxnard Montalvo</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Some of these posts touched on what I see as a big turn off for young people, the fact that there are too many old, aloof owners and officials who take themselves and this hobby way too seriously. They suck the fun out.

The sad part is that the ones at fault will never realize it. </div></div>

Preachin' bone gospel there brother!!!

I have not decided if I will join or not. I will try to find a local chapter (why aren't there email addresses listed for EVERY chapter in the directory!!!) and attend a few of their functions. I don't like the "business meeting" thing, so I will attend any shows or cruises they have.

One big problem with joining for me is location: by that I mean that the library and museum and Hershey are all great perks, but I don't live anywhere near them. It isn't logistically feasible for me to use those benefits often.

After I see what the local chapter is like I will make up my mind. I have been in the "typical" style of car club that has monthly meetings. If I were to name names, the Midlands Mopars was the club. They met every month, and moaned and cried about low membership. They kept moving the meetings further and further away from downtown just to suit three members. (while they didn't want to drive over 15 minutes for a meeting, I was driving over an hour each way) They NEVER NEVER NEVER went on a cruise, or a poker run, or to a show together, or anything. They kept trying to have a big Mopar only car show, but never went to any other shows to spread flyers or advertise. To top it all off, the treated my wife like dirt because she is a Camaro owner. Now don't get me wrong, I can take a joke, and I give as good as I get, but they were out and out mean. They were downright rude to her, yet she drove her car all over and they never took theirs anyplace.

I'm sure the local AACA club isn't like that. Since Columbia is a tiny car community, I am sure that I know many of the local AACA members already. (at least the ones that drive thier cars) But the whole "let's have a business meeting and read the minutes and blah blah blah" format is dull. Let's RIDE!! There are tires on the car for a reason, let's GO.

Again, I'm going to try to find the local chapter and attend some of their events. In the mean time, if anyone can put me in contact with people with unrestored or correct 57 Plymouth owners I would appreciate it. This will likely be the only car I restore, everything else I build has been and likely will be hot rods. That's why I want this one right. Plus, it's been in my family for 50 years, we should be just getting used to it. (It is the last new car anyone in my family bought, chew on that one!)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: poci1957</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I would also think the Plymouth club should have a technical advisor program to help with your questions on this, and of course these are helpful reasons to be in the clubs. </div></div>

You would think that you would be able to contact the advisor wouldn't you. He doesn't give out his phone or e-mail address, and he is sloooooooooooooooooow to respond to the old fasioned mule mail system

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I will try to find a local chapter (why aren't there email addresses listed for EVERY chapter in the directory!!!) </div></div>

I would be nice but not everyone is computer savy and I know of some chapter/regions where there is only one or two that have any kind of computer skills. Item two in reguards to this, I'm working on the 2008 AACA Sentimental tour, and you'd be surprised at how many email addresses tend to be wrong. If you check for the local chapter/region, take the address and check switchboard.com and most of the time, you can get the person's phone number (unless unlisted).

Different region/chapter meetings will be different. I've been to the ones like you discribe where it all business meeting and go home. Been to ones where there is a short business meeting (minutes read at some, other published in thier newsletter) and there is some sort of program ranging from fire entinugshers, liensce plate & gas station memboriblia collocting, to women's vintage clothing. I belong to one region that has thier own clubhouse and unfortunely seem to think they have to meet there all the time. The problem I've found is getting someone to lead a tour. This club is one if you lead the tour, they'll follow. I'm hoping the Sentimental Tour will help to get them more active with the cars. I use to belong to (about 20+ years ago) one region that had monthly meeting, business and program and usally toured one day of most months. This was in upstae NY and we'd even take the old cars out in Jan. or Feb. for the winter picnic or what everelse the club decided to do. The two regions there I was active with (Parents belonged to both) are still just as active.

Also, with AACA, (and probably most other clubs) you get back from them somewhat what you put into them. What I mean is if you only go to their show and/or tour, you'll tend to only meet a few of the members and possibly feel like an outsider. If you get active in attending events as well as the business meetings, you'll tend to get to know moree of the members and they'll get to know you. Remember at a meet or event, the members are busy taking care of business and won't be as relaxed and have "available" time like they would at a regluar meeting. Also, if you happend to find a chpater/region that doesn't seem to tour, maybe, you could suggest/ lead a tour. Sometimes a region will become "stale" with ideas on places to go. This is one of the things the Sentimental Tour committee from my region has found, that there are a lot more things around here to see that we overlooked simply because... they were right here. We probably could tour every day for a month and not see all the places on our orginal list of places within a 50 mile radius. I'm the Tour chairman for the region and I'm planning on using this list to get our club more active in touring next year.

just to show how easy a tour can be planned, the other year I setup one to Danville, VA. Got on the internet and did a search for places in Danville. Found two places I thought would be interesting to vist. The Danville sience center and the Southerlin mansion (which was the last capital of the Conferderecy). Called the contact phone number check with them on what would be good dates, determined which day we would go, called back and confirmed the date with them. Asked them to give a short verbal presentation about the history of both buildings we were visting. Used a map program (could use mapquest.com) and laid out a route, staying off major hiways as much as possible. Told the region date, time and place to meet. (if setting up not as the tour chiarman you'd want to get the date ok'd ahead of time) I had 4 phone calls and 1 two hour drive as I had driven the route in a modern car to check it, and about 2 hours of planning.

just did a quick check of the AACA library online. This is the list for 1957 Plymouth:

Title: Introducing the fiery new Fury by Plymouth

Marque or Author Plymouth 1957

Title: The Forward Look Chrysler Corporation presents the 1957 Plymouth, Dodge, DeSoto, Chrysler, Imperial

Marque or Author Chrysler 1957

Title: (Chrysler Insignia)

Marque or Author Chrysler 1951-59

Title: Chrysler Plymouth 1957

Marque or Author Chrysler 1957

Title: FORD LOWDOWN ON THE SHOWDOWN: A compilation of facts about the differences between the 1957 Ford and the 1957 Plymouth

Marque or Author Ford 1957

Title: Fury by Plymouth FOR THE MAN WHO REALLY LOVERS CARS!

Title: PLYMOUTH !

Title: THE FORWARD LOOK WITH ALUMINUM

Title: Your visit to the Plymouth plant

Title: ALL ABOUT YOUR NEW PLYMOUTH

Title: CHEVROLET? PLYMOUTH? FORD?

Title: NOW-PLYMOUTH'S ENGINEERING LEADERSHIP BRINGS YOU The Exclusive new Torsion-Aire Ride...it carpets the road!

Title: SUBURBANS PLYMOUTH!

I'm sure Kim can help you with more info. She and have copies made for you too. Info on all that is at the AACA Library's website

Guest leadsled1953

as a young kid growing up in Virginia i spent a lot of time at my Grandmothers house.the neighbor was an old man whose name was Mr Moore.he had this old garage behind his house where he spent most of his time.rarely said a word.the garage was packed with stuff going back to the civil war and all kinds of tools in the back he used in working on his projects .i used to stand out side and look in the door at all the amazing stuff.one day he said to me you can come in and look but if you touch anything you cant come in here again.i would stand there looking at all the antiques .i wouldask him what something was and he would stop and explain what it was ,how it worked then go back to his work.because of that when young kids stop and look at my old cars i explain what something is ,how it works .hopefully by treating the kids like i was treated by Mr Moore i can get a kid interested in working on old cars

There aren't enough of us younger folk in the hobby. Although I have seen some people around my age at one of the local shows. Traditionally they are displaying a Mustang, or something similar. For the most part, I don't think I've ever seen someone my age or younger, in my area, with something older than the mid 60's. I had a friend in high school whose father had given him a model A, but nothing ever came of it.

I am 21 years old now and an Engineering Student and pretty much grew up in my dad's 14 model T runabout project, and have loved cars since. I have always been a supporter of restoring cars back to stock unless the car had been hot rodded years ago, or the body was bad enough that it would have been china-bound as scrap.

I started with a 56 Met when I was 14, and got slightly discouraged with that project because of an imperfect clutch I had bought that was impossible to align. I have since captured and released a couple of nice cars. I still have a 65 T-5 (German export Mustang), 65 Impala, 56 Metropolitan, 1939 Plymouth (ex drag car), and a 1915 Model T. Most of the people I know of my age demographic are most intrigued by the Model T and other old things.

I don't know if my upbringing was an exception, or rule, but if it is desired to get younger people into the car hobby, they must be exposed to it, they must have a personal connection to it. For me it started with a 14 model T and the movie Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. From about 8 years old, my dad took me to local car shows, and at around 12 we would travel further to Hershey and Carlisle.

Not every child has the same opportunities I have had, but some still happen to be near an old car or related automobilia. Make the experience special, as a previous poster said talk to them about it. Try to make a personal connection so that they will remember the car, and someday something may click and they will inherit the disease that is cardom. I have a friend going to school in California who every so often gets to drive a family friend's old 40's Chrysler. He mentioned his desire to someday have something like that, but doesn't want to look now as he assumes it would just be too expensive. Make sure to indicate that these cars can be inexpensive to own and operate. Once someone finds out they can afford something, they realize a dream can become a reality.