1990 Exhaust Manifold

Guest redreattahmb

Guest redreattahmb

My mechanic now says he noticed a 3" crack in my exhaust mainifold when he was out test driving the car after he rebuilt the transmission (165,000 miles). Says he can try and weld it but it may not work. Does anyone know if this can be done and, if not, is the part the same on the Riviera as on the Reatta (found the instrument panel based on sahein's recommendation for $100 bucks in GA!!)?<BR>Was thinking of selling it (bought it from the original owner about 6 years and 85,000 miles ago for $6k) but now with new transmission/instrument panel.... <BR>Wife just can't part with it and I agree... It is the best aerodynamic car I've ever driven (my other ride is a 944). <BR>Anyway, sorry to ramble but any help would be appreciated...<BR>Thanks...

The manifolds should be the same, Riviera/Reatta. Yours is the first I have heard of cracking. They are stainless and unless it is at the weld joint, seldom crack.<P>If it is the back one, you might want to do some machining as Hal stated in an earlier post that the output flange on the firewall side manifold is about 1/2 inch smaller than the pipe, there is some room for improvement.

Barney is right and almost any of the 3800 powered cars should have the correct manifold. If it is the rear, watch the outlet diameter as it may be larger on the '91 and later, (2.5" vs 2.25"). It is unusual for these to crack. It was pretty common on the older 3.8 turbo cars, but not these. The manifolds are a low grade stainless steel and it would be best to tig weld them, but the weld will be tough to keep clean with all the crud that is on the inside which will lead to contamination of the weld. Probably best to replace it.

Guest redreattahmb

Are there more than one exhaust mainfolds? When you talk rear, is there a front one? I'd take a look but the car is still at the mechanic's. I'd like to be able to possibly get one from the place in Georgia but want to make sure I get the right part.<BR>Thanks for the help.

I'd just replace it with a used one. Cracking happens now and then, but not very common, so a used one should be very reliable, and probably won't cost any more than welding, since the manifold should be removed for a good weld. The 3.8c engine is very common, finding a good used one won't be a problem. Let your fingers do the walkin' and call some local junkyards for the part. If the crack is accesable for welding without removal, might be worth a shot for a cheap fix, but don't expect too much or Murphy's law will bite you in the ass for sure.<P> By the way, it's the right manifold, not the rear(not to nitpick, that wouldn't be like me).