Man I LOOOOVE these Chevrolet truck commercials!

Guest ZondaC12

Guest ZondaC12

*Sigh* as much as Im a Ford guy, and dad would yell at me for this, I love these commercials. My roommates watchin baseball (TV wouldnt be on if it werent for him, Im tryin ta study!!! haha) and they keep playin these friggin things!

But it goes through the history and all that, the "design room" through the years. I particularly like it because each one is going by Im like "stovebolt six...small block....80s EFI ooh look at the oscilliscope"

That and gotta love Mellencamp! smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That and gotta love Mellencamp! </div></div>

I was in Half-Price Books one day about a year ago and noticed about 7 or 8 bootleg Mellencamp concert cds in the racks. I usually just buy vinyl there, but I couldn't pass those up. I've bought <span style="text-decoration: underline">every</span> record John's released on the release day since <span style="font-style: italic">Scarecrow</span>!

On one of the cds from about 1991 he ends the concert with the then recent hit song <span style="font-style: italic">Pop Singer</span>, which was much maligned at the time for it's superficial repudiation of what Mellencamp really is, a pop singer in the music business. He goes into a loooooonnnngggg drawn out introduction to the song, explaining that we wrote it not to denegrate the music business, but in respose to "pop singers" who sell out their art for commerce.

Wait, it gets better!

After the explanation, he starts a call-and-response with the audience. Each line is delivered louder and longer than the last:

<span style="font-style: italic">"Should I sell my songs to Coca-Cola?"

<span style="font-weight: bold">(Audience)</span> NO!

Should I sell my songs to IBM?

NO!

Should I sell my songs to Budweiser?

NO!

Should i sell my songs to Kentucky Fried Chicken?

NO!

<span style="text-decoration: underline">Should I sell my songs to</span> (</span>shouted with EXTREME conviction and drawn out enunciation<span style="font-style: italic">) <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: #FF0000"><span style="text-decoration: underline">Chevrolet Motors?</span></span>

<span style="text-decoration: underline">NO!</span></span>

.....(music starts, singing) <span style="color: #009900">I never wanted to be no...pop singer....I never wanted to write no.....pop songs......"</span> </span>

The applause on the cd is deafening. So was my laughter upon hearing it. I happened to be playing it while driving the first time. I had to pull over for a while. laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

The man's a great artist, and like most he's full of contradictions.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ZondaC12</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Haha that's amazing. Sweet irony!!!

Ill have to listen to that sometime...just gotta hear it now! </div></div>

I'd misplaced the cd and I had to dig for it, but I found it. It's called <span style="font-style: italic">Love and Happiness</span>. It's an Italian bootleg on "Pluto Records" if you believe the cd print (inked, not a lable), but as a bootleg it's achedemic. The concert was in 1992. "Pop Singer" is track #14.

This web site lists a few dozen boots that are out there, including this one.

I remembered it a little better than it was. The first two questions were directed to "Mike" in his band (Mike Wanchick) as "Should I sell the songs" and "But we'd get a whole lot of money". There are only three questions directed to the audience: "Should I sell my songs to Spaghettios?", "Should I sell my songs to Cheerios?", and <span style="font-weight: bold">"Should I sell my songs to <span style="text-decoration: underline">Chevrolet Motors</span>?"</span> The last line is delivered more forcefully than any other, just as I described it. It's still very funny. laugh.gif

LoveandHappiness.jpg