1947 Windsor Motor Serial Number

Hello Fellow Chrysler Owners,

I have a 1948 Royal with a 250.6 cu. in. Spitfire engine, and my buddy just purchased a 1947 Windsor.

His Engine Serial number has no prefix.

No C38W etc.

Just a number 89221.

What does this mean?

Typically a motor if Chrysler starts with a C, if Dodge a D, if Plymouth a P, and if Desoto a S.

Why wouldn't his motor have a prefix?

Tom

His engine has most likely been rebuilt in the past and the original id was ground off. I am aware of some jurisdictions that required any rebuilt engine to have the original number ground off and a new, officially assigned number stamped on the pad.

• 3 weeks later...

I've got an industrial engine too. It has an ID plate rivetted on, low down on the left side of the block about half way along. Never noticed if it has a stamped serial number or not, but there is a serial number on the ID plate.

The ID plate is about an inch high and 4 inches long. You can't miss it if you have one.

OK. Guys I think the jury is in. The motor my buddy has is probably a rebuild. I appreciate your help with this as

it always helps to have more opinions to solve mysteries.

We determined it was a 250.6 cu. in. by its length 25"-26", and he has the head off and will pull a piston to determine

if its been bored over.

I believe now that he's in there a piston,ring job is about to commence anyhow.

Tom Skinner

mot

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OK. Guys I think the jury is in. The motor my buddy has is probably a rebuild. I appreciate your help with this as

it always helps to have more opinions to solve mysteries.

We determined it was a 250.6 cu. in. by its length 25"-26", and he has the head off and will pull a piston to determine

if its been bored over.

I believe now that he's in there a piston,ring job is about to commence anyhow.

Tom Skinner

mot </div></div>

If he has the head off, measure the bore and stroke. The original bore of that block would be either 3 3/8 or 3 7/16. The stroke could be 4 1/8, 4 1/4, 4 1/2 or 4 3/4. Displacement could be anywhere from 218 to 265 cu in. They made a lot of different size engines based on that block.

Would be curious to know where the engine came from. In the absence of a serial # or ID plate this could be the only way to figure it out.

Ifit is a marine or industrial block it could have hardened sleeves in the cylinders, a desirable feature. They also came with a choice of gear driven or chain driven cams.