1955 Buick oil filer/ filter question

jnavarro

Hello !

I have a question regarding which oil filler/breather cap on the valve covers to put engine oil in. The drivers side or the passenger side of the engine. The Oil Breathers/filler caps seem to be aftermarket and have no markings on them. It is a 264 V8.

Any help would be great! I ran into this site that produces adaptors for Modern Oil filters. Does anyone have any feed back stories on them?

Thank you !

John

In many cases, the crankcase breather caps were the oil filler caps. Generally, as in later years with "open" ventilation systems, one of the caps was the breather and the other one was "closed" such that a dedicated air path existed through the engine to the road draft tube.

To me, the only real advantage to the "modern" oil filter is less mess at oil filter change time, but that can be variable too. In reality, the filtering area of the drop-in element is much greater than that of the later spin-on filters . . . usually. It can also give you a peak as to what the oil in the engine REALLY looks like.

In modern times, it might be recommended that you use nitrile gloves when you remove and handle the used oil filter such as the older vehicles would have. Be that as it may . . .

Rather than purchase "a kit", you might get some actual pieces from a salvage yard Nailhead (later model) which would have had the more modern oil filter arrangement on it from the factory. I don't know if that'll work or not, but if it will, it should let you end up with a production-based situation which should be a better deal all together.

Just some thoughts,

NTX5467

John

Be sure the devices on the valve covers are actually breathers and not caps.

The original oil filters are as stated superior to spin-on replacements, although a little more trouble. Replacement elements should be readily available locally at quality parts stores under the Fram brand and Wix which makes filters for NAPA, Carquest and others. The Carquest number is 85121.

Willie