Zephyrlyte Luggage

Jim Ayres

I believe that there was a 3 piece set. My guess would be 39-48 for availability. On the LZOC website in the pre-war classified section the 39 4 door convertible owned by George Trickett has the luggage with it.

(are you looking to part with them?) I'm sure that you could sell them quickly if you decide to.

Thanks Biggarmike! I saw George's luggage and noticed it was labeled "Zephyrweight". I was wondering what years the "Zephyrlyte" was offered.

I may be willing to sell it in the future, but would like to get some idea of its value and/or desirability. Is it fairly common to see this luggage, or is it as rare as the '60s luggage?

Guest imported_V12Bill

I thought the luggage was offered from 1936 on. I do believe that it was a canvas covered or some kind of fabric with a few stripes on it not the leather as shown . I do recall seeing three pieces and the third piece was a squarish hat bag style.

Thanks for your reply Bill.

I was thinking that at some point between '36 and '48 the design of the luggage was changed, as it was changed between the '60s and '70s. And I do realize that I only have two of the three pieces. I would just like to confirm the year that the change was made. It would be great if someone had a brochure that described the luggage.

Could it be that the luggage I have is Post War?

My understanding from a TWOTZ article was that the fitted luggage arose out of the need to make the best out of the limited trunk space found in the '36-39 sedan models.

This became less of a problem with the 1940 models, which had much improved trunk space (so Rolf could stash all his goodies). If it is indeed Zephyr luggage, then I would bet it's pre-war, but that's only an educated guess.

Yeah Cecil, it's amazing, as big as the trunk on my 36 is, you can't use it very well because of the vertical mount spare. It will hold a lot, if it's in smaller packages, and placed through the back seat the way it was designed. A big car, with travel gear piled in the back seat! Sneaking anything around the spare is next to impossible. Wasn't there a TSB of some sort in 38-39 to change the rigid vertical spare mount to a fold down or a horizontal mount?

I HAVE TO PACK CAREFULLY, A FAMILY OF 4 GROCERIES, IN THE BACK OF MY 40 MUST REACH WAY IN..THE STREAMLINED REAR END

LEAVES LITTLE SPACE NEAR THE OPENING....AWESOME TO SEE HARD TO FIT ANYTHING...

I LIKE TO TAKE A COOLER TO THE DRIVE IN, IT HARDLY FITS FOR SAME REASON...REMINDS ME OF THE BIG GM WAGONS OF THE 70'S. WITH THE SLIDING TAILGATE AND WINDOW THAT SUCKED UP INTO THE ROOF,, LEFT VERY ROOM FOR KIDS TO SIT IN BACK...U HAD TO BE THERE....BUT I BET MOST OF U ARE "TOO OLD"...

SOUNDS LIKE A GOOD THREAD..HOW MANY UNDER 50 READ THIS???

JB

Mike - there was actually a retrofit late in the '36 year that converted to the '37 style. At this point in the game, though, I'd be tempted to keep your car original and use the family car for grocery-getting wink.gif

Zeffer1940 -- What are you talking about, "too old to remember?" I spent the late 60s and early 70s in the rear-facing seat of a Plymouth Sport Suburban. You roasted in summer, froze in winter, and damn near passed out from the exhaust fumes if the window was cracked at all, but at least you had a seat to yourself. Besides, it beat sleeping on the package tray.

• 2 weeks later...

Gee, I guess info about the luggage is hard to come by.

Anyway, I found another piece of "Zephyrweight" luggage that is different than George Trickett's.

DSCN7141.jpg

DSCN7143.jpg

I would still be interested in seeing any ads or brochures with pictures or mention of luggage.

• 4 weeks later...

Fitted luggage was a common accessory offered by car makers along with fender skirts, cigar lighters, seat covers and other add ons. This was when accessories were dealer installed rather than factory installed.

For some reason European car makers offered fitted luggage long after it went out of favor in the US. Possibly because European cars had limited luggage space and fitted luggage made the most of it.