waldron exhaust 40 Buick

Guest edalfa

Today I finished installing the new stainless exhaust on my 40 Special. I have to say-it fits great! There was a lot of disassembly (sway bar, rear torsion bar-etc). My heat riser is frozen so I checked it with a mirror- fortunately it was stuck in the open position. I was surprised that it looked brand new in there, especially compared to the swiss-cheese exhaust that I replaced.

The toughest thing to deal with was that my trusty floor jack didn't want to release. I had to replace the jackstands and release the jack by putting a length of pipe and a hammer to jar the gear loose. I've got dad's old Hein-Werner at my mom's house. I guess it will come home with me.

One thing though-I started the job last weekend and the car spent the week in a nose down attitude. When I started her, she blew a lot of oil smoke. Typically, she doesn't smoke much at all. I'm sure it'll work out.

Ed

If you can't improve it, leave it alone.

Guest edalfa

Just an update- the oil smoke has pretty much cleared up. I guess it burned off. The exhaust is nice and quiet with no noticeable leaks. Looking back, I'm surprised how quiet the car was before dispite the fact that the old system was riddled with holes.

Ed