Sign in to follow this  
Pat

1962 Starfire carb line

I seem to recall someone asking for photos previously. Maybe that was you. I will have to awaken Sleeping Beauty from her winter's slumber. She will no doubt protest...

Paul

Nevermind, I think mine is in tact, wasn't sure I had it because the last onwer removed the glass filter and installed an inline metal one, bit it has a return line hooked up to it. Also they installed an electric fuel pump ... think this is because the orig pump went bad? I heard that the cranks would wear down and prevent the fuel pumps from working, not sure if I believe that though.

Thanks paul

Nevermind, I think mine is in tact, wasn't sure I had it because the last onwer removed the glass filter and installed an inline metal one, bit it has a return line hooked up to it. Also they installed an electric fuel pump ... think this is because the orig pump went bad? I heard that the cranks would wear down and prevent the fuel pumps from working, not sure if I believe that though.

Thanks paul

Fuel pump arms and/or push rods wear out, and on some engines the camshaft concentric may show wear, they are of softer metal than any crankshaft.

Electric fuel pump = bad original fuel pump. Aftermarket correct fuel pumps in either form for the 394 pretty much dried up 20 years ago, that even includes the rebuilds. If the original pump is still in place it can be rebuilt provided none of the castings have warped. From time to time correct fuel pumps show up on ebay in rebuilt form, but the problem is those will need to be rebuilt to prevent diaphragm failure thanks to Ethanol and the old diaphragms not being Ethanol tolerant.

If you choose to rebuild the original pump just remember you'll need to replace the fexible fuel line between the tank and the steel fuel line along the passenger side frame. Probably wouldn't be a bad idea to replace the other end either.

Edited by Jim_Edwards (see edit history)

Fuel pump arms and/or push rods wear out, and on some engines the camshaft concentric may show wear, they are of softer metal than any crankshaft.

Electric fuel pump = bad original fuel pump. Aftermarket correct fuel pumps in either form for the 394 pretty much dried up 20 years ago, that even includes the rebuilds. If the original pump is still in place it can be rebuilt provided none of the castings have warped. From time to time correct fuel pumps show up on ebay in rebuilt form, but the problem is those will need to be rebuilt to prevent diaphragm failure thanks to Ethanol and the old diaphragms not being Ethanol tolerant.

If you choose to rebuild the original pump just remember you'll need to replace the fexible fuel line between the tank and the steel fuel line along the passenger side frame. Probably wouldn't be a bad idea to replace the other end either.

Thank you Jim!

Doesn't Fusick sell rebuilt units?

Replacing the fuel line, are you saying that from the tank up to the line going into the pump is rubber or steel? Is it a major job getting to this without having the car on a lift?

Thank you again, all help is appreciated!

Vinny

Jim,

Having returned to this tread after rebuilding and installing two dual stage original pumps, I am "glad" to read that it's only my camshaft that's broken.

Neither pump could draw once installed on the block although both caused 6-7 lbs pressure on the bench. I finally installed a Holley Blue which seems to be working fine despite its incongruous sound and fury.

What is your opinion on the character of this camshaft wear? Is it resultant of the shape and angle of a fuel pump armature of regrettable design – those rebuilt pumps were amazingly resistant to operation by hand. Or is there a general issue with these cams? I imagine the lifters with their regular, polished surface would pose a gentler influence on their cam lobes than the rude rod of the pump on its.

Doug