Head Lightes

Well, this morning after getting my car (1988) from the body shop,i had to have a new hood cause someone smashed mine, the head lightes would close by themselves ,i would turn them on and they would close. any one know what's going on?

Please give more details on the problem.<BR>1) headlight switch pressed <BR>2) lights go on put don't raise<BR>3) lights retract but IPC night time lights <BR> stay on.<BR>These are just examples of how to describe <BR>what is happening. We will help you and try to eliminate voodoo and gremlins as a cause.<p>[ 03-21-2002: Message edited by: Don B. ]

Don's right...we need more info as there are several things that could be wrong.<P>If you open the headlights with the button on the console do they stay open?<BR>If they do, when you push it again do they close?<BR>It you push the headlight button with them already open do they stay open?<P>Did they just replace the hood or did they repaint the headlight covers or any thing else?

They just replaced the hood, i turn the head lites on,they open,then they would close,iwould push the button on the left side of steering wheel they would open soon close. They did yhis about 10 or 12 times i never pushed the headlamp retract botton.

Les, you obviously don't know how to push buttons. Get your wife, girlfriend, or mother to try it. If it still doesn't work, trade the car for a Honda.<P>When we ask for more information to help you solve your problem, it would be nice if you could actually provide the info. Fixing these problems long distance is not that easy with full information provided.<P>I suggest you take it to the dealer who will not ask any questions and they will replace everything and charge you big $$$$

Look i turn on the lites , after awhile they close,i turn them on again they may be on a while then close i never pushed the retract button, i do know how to push buttons its just that these cars are such peaces oh poopoo that its no wonder that Buick dropped proudction,i have never had a car with so many problems,antilock brakes,headlites leak form somewhere,trans takeing to long to shift-shudder tape player belt,stupid little latches for trunk seat broken and all of this with 120,000 miles at least GM had a new hood I have had this car for two years

Les and Barney seem to have a problem. Actually Les has a problem and Barney is the only one trying to help him and Les is biting the hand that is trying fed him.

Les,<P>I feel my Reatta is one of the best cars I have ever owned. I find it hard to see how you could make such a statment about the Reatta on a site where we come for help and understanding. You car got smashed and your lights are having trouble so go back to the source..the body shop. I would say maybe they didn't do something right. Don't slam the host of this site....Reatta by Buick<BR>Bruce Guthrie

Fortunately Les, you have come to the right place for help with your Reatta problems. Unfortunately you have pissed off the people who can be your greatest asset to keeping your Reatta alive and healthy without sending you to the poor house.<BR> Clearly if the headlights were working properly before you had this accident and they were not working properly when the body shop returned the car to you, they have an obligation to straighten them out. Knowing the way the car business operates however, it is possible they will tell you that it wasn't included in their repair estimate and you are on your own. In order to assist in the diagnosis of your problem you are going to have to give some specific information as to the exact way the headlights are not functioning as they are a fairly complex system, utilizing a number of relays and controls and will require you to answer the questions asked of you for us to have any chance of a sucessful outcome. <P><B> Print out this post so you have it with you when you do the following checklist:</B>(having a pen to write down the answers would probably be helpful as well.)<P><B>1) Start the car.<P>2) Depress the console mounted "Lamp Retract" button.</B><BR> <BR>Did the lights come up? <P>Did they stay up?<P>If they are not staying up, are they going up and down and up and down?<P><B>3) Disengage the "Lamp Retract" button.<P>4) Depress the headlight button on the left side of the instrument panel.</B><P>Did the lights come up?<P>Did the headlights illuminate?<P>Did the lights stay up?<P>If they are not staying up, are they going up and down and up and down?<BR>.<BR>.<BR>If the headlight doors close after a short while as your previous posts suggest:<P>Is the LED on the headlight switch illuminated?<P>Is the LED in the parking light switch illuminated?<P>Are the parking lights on?<P>Pop the hood, are the headlights illuminated even though they are in the "closed" position?<P>If you post the answers to the above questions, it is probable that the members of this board will be able to give you an accurate diagnosis of your problem, or at least give you an idea of what the probable problem areas are.<P>As far as your other problems.....<P>Complete refurbished antilock braking systems are available from <A HREF="http://www.priorreman.com" TARGET=_blank>www.priorreman.com</A> for around $500.00<P>The latches for your rear storage compartment are available from jfinn@computerpro.com for a reasonable price (remember to tell him what color you need).<P>Your tape player belt can be repaired by <A HREF="http://www.mnrelectronics.com" TARGET=_blank>http://www.mnrelectronics.com</A> or almost any radio repair shop.<P>Transmission can be rebuilt/repaired by any transmission shop, but try adding a bottle of a the most expensive (still under $20) Transmission stopleak/stopslip "miracle fluid" available form any auto parts store first.<P> Clearly you are frustrated by all the little problems you have with your car. The best way to deal with them is to fix everything as soon as it happens. Deciding that an item isn't worth the trouble of repairing it is the first step onto a slippery slope that ends at a junkyard. You are driving a stunningly complex, 14 year old car with a 120,000 miles on it, and things are going to require repair/renewal, if that is something you aren't willing or able to deal with, sell the car. If you are going to keep it, invest in a service manual available new from <A HREF="http://www.helminc.com" TARGET=_blank>www.helminc.com</A> or used from Ebay (make sure you get a "final edition"). I would also suggest you register for this message board (with a handle other than Les) and you can get a fresh start with an amazing group of people who want nothing else but to help you enjoy the pleasures and challenges of Reatta ownership.<P>Welcome to the club! smile.gif" border="0<p>[ 03-24-2002: Message edited by: RawjaNYC ]

I am not slaming anybody,but when someone tells me i don't know how to push a botton and suggests i get my mother eho has been dead for twenty years well................

Les it's just that the problem you have is so unusual that we may have a difficult time <BR>determining the cause. Some people have experience "lazy eye lid". The headlite would try to come up put would stop 1/2 way.<BR>This is due to a worn out motor or linkage.<BR>Theory of operation is the motor keeps running for a predetermined time our when a certain current draw is reached it shuts off. So it should only shut off down 1/2 way or up (normally down or up).For it to retract requires reverse voltage not likely with the dash switch on. If the body shop replaced the motor and lite assembly with non-GM parts the motor may be continually running. All you see is the lite giong up and down the motor is just spinnig away.<BR>Try this with the key out of ignition press lamp retract once. Lites should raise Listen for the motor running they should stop in 8 seconds. If the continue look at the lite linkage and motor stop point. If they stay up past the time they would retract then you have a bad headlite switch thats making and breaking contact. <BR>Les no one is talking down to you.<BR>These cars can be confusing with all the buttons, the main reason they changed dashes in later years. Hey if your dining room lite burns out most people turn the switch on and off 3 or 4 times before saying the lite's burnt out. Some people may do the same in thier car.