Black Beauty Brings $12,000

Delighted to report that the '90 convertible just sold on eBay for $12,000. I think it's important to note, because this helps establish the market value of these rare, classic automobiles. The buyer is very Reatta-wise; not a wide-eyed novice. I think it validates my contention that a low-mileage Reatta is cheaper -- and certainly a better value -- than some new econobox subcompact. Reattas that are kept in pristine condition will only go up in value; perhaps not as quickly as we would like, but it WILL happen. And in the meantime, we have the pleasure of driving a rare, modern-day classic! I continue to pose the question: for the same money, would you rather have a Reatta convertible...or a Toyota Camry? 'Nuff said.<P>Jerry

Firstly, Jerry, I would like to congratuate you on receiving $12,000 for your 1990 convertible.<P>But this doesn't mean Reatta convertibles with 88,000 miles are worth $12,000.<P>Not at all.<P>Didn't you just purchase Fred's black convertible with 87,000 miles for $8,500?<P>Now that was a deal!<P>Fetching 12K on eBay from a newbie bidder with a whopping feedback of (1) does not mean anything.<P>A 1990 convertible with 88K is not worth 12K.<P>You just got lucky and for that I envy you.<P>Just don't base Reatta prices on this one transaction. After all, you, yourself, paid only $8,500 for the same thing. Or was it the same car?<P>Comments welcome. This should get things stirred up!

Congratulations on the 12k. I've got a silver '90 coupe that I'd be glad to let go for that price. It would make a good down payment on a Camry! Though the ride wouldn't be as 'cool'. It's only got 91k, and I'm about to put new brake pads on and fix the air conditioner, as summer in Oklahoma is HOT. (Man, I've been knocked off by pop-ups 3 times since beginning this. Never happened before here. Anyone else have this problem?) cool.gif" border="0

RRR: Tough to decipher your remarks: envy, jealousy, actual congrats...?<P>Add to the $8500 purchase price another $2500 to bring it to pristine condition. Whatcha got? Perhaps a near-perfect $11,000 Reatta convertible.<P>Decision to put that much into a car depends upon the condition of the car. If it's a dog, don't bother. If it's a great car with some minor neglect/problems, yes. The latter was the case here.<P>Sorry, RRR, but I've been a homebuilder for the past 32 years here in Southern California -- and "comps" are the bible. What someone is willing to pay sets the base.<P>For you to say something is -- or is not -- worth it, is presumptuous. The market has, and always will, set prices. That's called the free enterprise system. Deal with it.<P>If you review my comments, you'll see they are most positive -- not gloating, as you seem to infer -- and reflect well on the Reatta and its intrinsic value.<P>Don't know what your problem is -- but glad it's yours, not mine.<P>Jerry Sellers

I tend to agree with RedReattaRuss, though he could have been a tad more diplomatic. My experience with Ebay leads me to question the sincerity of a buyer with a feedback of (1), but that's beside the point. I'm sure the car must be in excellent condition to fetch twelve thousand, as I follow Ebay auctions regularly and know that the last two convertibles didn't even reach ten thousand, though they had around the same number of miles. <P>Congratulations on the sale.

Congratulations Jerry..I think the price was fair if the car was as pristine as indicated. People like RRR have a right to their opinion but are one of the reasons our car values are not higher. Ebay is a crapshoot as is any auction. Look on autotrader, better still look in the Bugal and compare asking prices. These are special cars and need to be "marketed" to bring the highest price. People shop ebay looking for bargains, though an occassionally an item goes way over its value..like the jacket and the dash bezel sold recently. I also know your "cost" on the Maui and thought that was a great deal. I paid $7,000 for my Maui with 100k + but would't sell it for 8k and have put some miles on it. By the way, I have purchased 5 Reattas and looked at dozens more so I think I have a pretty good idea of value...and condition not just mileage is the real indicator of "Value" of these cars. wink.gif" border="0wink.gif" border="0wink.gif" border="0