65 Riv starting issue - all of a sudden!!

Desmc14

I think it is a solenoid or the starter itself. All I get is a click .... lights work well, tried jumping, tried a 2nd battery ... same result. I drove it about 225 miles last weekend and it ran flawlessly .... but have not touched it since...This morning when I tried to start her up, I got really slow cranking and then it sounded as if the battery had died.... after that.... just click ...lights don't dim when I try to start it. Hmmmmm... what to try next... ideas are welcome.

Thanks,

Hi Bob,

Your symptoms could be caused by a bad connection anywhere in the starting system. The fact you have good headlights contradicts this somewhat, but cranking the starter takes many more amps than the headlights so a compromised connection may be enough to light the headlights but not good enough to pull the solenoid in to engage the starter motor. Chances are your connections at the battery are good because you have switched batteries. I would check the ground connection at the power steering pump first. Also, check the connections at the junction block on the driver`s fender well. In the same area you will find a two wire connecter, one wire is yellow, the other purple. Be sure this purple wire makes good contact in the connecter as this is your voltage signal from ignition switch to starter solenoid. The connection on the positive starter stud often becomes loose because the cable and the nut get hot from excessive cranking. These heating/cooling cycles tend to loosen the nut/connection and encourage corrosion. Just a few items to look for...you may, indeed, end up replacing the starter but checking for good connections always comes first; it`s much less expensive! Good luck!

Tom Mooney ROA #56

I agree with Tom. I had the same problem with my 64. Thnking it must be the battery, I put it on the charger. The meter didn't indicate that the battery was in need of a charge but I left it on for 24 hours anyway. I throughly cleaned the battery posts and clamps, reinstalled, and still got very sluggish cranking. As with yours Bob, my lights seemd to be good, radio played, etc. I was convinced that I needed a new battery so $90 later I put in a brand new Delco and guess what? Same problem. I got a piece of 80 grit sandpaper and went after the ground connection and the cable ends at the junction. Once I had brightened up the cable ends and spade terminals at the junction box the starter spun normally. I'd still like to get to the starter itself but am saving that for some winter maintenance. Hope your problem can be solved this easily and without buying unnecessary items like I did.

Thanks Tom, I did some of that, but likely didn't consider the ground on the PS motor and some other ideas you mention. I will try all of those. It is the original starter and solenoid, so if they need replacing, well, it's understandable.

Thanks again,

Bob