64 Riviera Seats are out Now what ??

Bill Stoneberg

Replace insulation under carpet with some new, better stuff. The old jute will be matted down.

Move seats back an inch or two? (Do you need the leg room?)

Run wires for the two big speakers you are going to add to the rear package shelf and the kicker amp you plan to put in the trunk?

laugh.gif

Whenever I have had door panels off (for window repair/service) or access to the carpet (installing car stereo)I've always added some form of additional insulation to the door panels and floor pans.

Sometimes jute, sometimes foam...usually in addition to a thin style insulation like dynamat. It makes a huge difference in quieting the cabin, reducing road noise, and thermal control. It gives the new carpeting that soft, luxo feel.

Bill-

I have not yet had the pleasure of replacing the heater core on a first gen Riviera, but it is not my understanding that pulling the seats and carpeting is one of the steps to replace it. I think you end up disassembling more of the dash than anything else to get to the heater core, perhaps also some of the console. Or else you cut the firewall and take it out "the wrong side".

The POR-15 is a good plan. Dynamat is good, too, but I don't think that is all you need. It is a sound deadener. Good as a base layer to reduce road noise up through the floor. Then you need to add a really good thermal insulation. I found one on-line at one time (Thermsulate - from ATD Corp in Norcross, Ga.) but they don't seem to be selling retail any more. They sent me a nice sample and some literature.

If anyone knows of a supplier for Thermsulate now, let me know.

Plus those stick-on foam seal strips I talked about a while back, for the a/c and heater ducts.

If there's anything else in the under-dash area you might want to attend to while you can (basically) lay on a somewhat flat floor to do it . . . make a list. That would include things like instrument cluster light bulbs, radio or speaker items, etc.

Have fun!

NTX5467