Reatta dash board

Bepa

Guest F14CRAZY

Check the service manual at Reatta.net for this info, but there are a few torx-head screws that need to be removed. Two are upside down, in front of the instrument panel, then there's one hidden in the right panel vent. There's might be another one that I can't remember, so please check...I don't want you to possible break your dash trim. After the screws are removed, it will snap off from the dash. Then you've got a few hex head screws to remove the cluster itself, which will pop free from its connectors

You mentioned the dash started smoking and then the lights went out. I am assuming you meant the instrument panel cluster went black. The IPC is the most common part to go bad on the '90-91s and sometimes they go up in smoke. Recently my brother in laws car did the same thing and he tore the whole dash out of the car looking for the problem before calling me. When he didn't see any evidence of burnt wires he called and I explained he did a lot of work for nothing. I went up to his home and we put his IPC into my car. It was black initially and then after about 30 seconds smoke started rollin out. It was only his IPC that was bad. They are easy to replace and you only have to remove a couple screws to remove the trim in front of the IPC/radio and then there are 4 screws holding the IPC to the dash.

I have several Reatta parts cars and have a good tested IPC available. I can be reached at jfinn@cpinternet.com

I have a '90 coupe & had what sounds to be the same problem.

It turned out that one of the metal "hold down things" (looks like a washer) broke the plastic "finger" that it was attached to & it then fell into the electronic components within the speedometer cluster. As it turned out, I figure the metal shorted some of the electronics and my cluster died. I also had smoke coming from the dashboard.

After taking out the cluster, I could tell (by smell) that the smoke was coming from the cluster. I also heard a rattle & shook out that metal piece. I tried putting back the speedomoter cluster but it was fried (although no more smoke). I picked-up a used cluster from a 1990 Riviera, popped it in & all has been well ever since. I think it cost me about $30 used.

To do such a replacement was very easy. All you need to do is take out the screws that hold the molding around the speedometer cluster & remove the screws that actually hold down the speedomoter cluster. Then all you have to do is "pop-out" the entire cluster as a complete unit. You will see where the unit "plugs-in".

As I recall, I did not have to remove any "clips" or torx screws, only phillips head screws. Nothing from the top of the dash. Only the screws around the speedometer cluster area.

Personally, I stopped driving that car the minute I smelled smoke. For those who know what I'm talking about, I could tell that it was an "electronic" burning smell. Fortunately, this happened in my driveway. I did not drive that car until I put the replacement cluster back in. I even disconnected my battery because I feared a fire might break out if whatever caused the short in the first place might cause something to overheat & flame-out.

I did not need to replace any other part.

I hope this helps.