What nicknames have you given your car?

Durant Mike

Started with an.....

'80 Chevy wagon, replaced the anemic engine with a Z-28 engine, becoming the "Grocery Getter"!

'90 Chevy Caprice, "Blue Bomber", same car as the nut cases that killed a few people on the east coast a few years ago.

2005 GMC pick up with graphics, "Mexican Hauler" (not my pick)

Mike's 2002 white Ford Focus hatchback...."The Egg"! (given by older brother) We considered covering the car with colored vinyl circles during his graduration and calling it the "Easter Egg", but we ran out of time. smile.gif

Wayne

post-31395-143137948858_thumb.jpg

Guest AntarcticDave

Someone told me that Joan Crawford drove a Cadillac 6207 club coupe in Mildred Pierce (a 1942, same design as 1946 and 1947). My friends have called my car Mildred ever since.

Guest De Soto Frank

"Permanent" nick-names, or spur of the moment epithets when the machinery won't go ? wink.gif

It's been hit or miss with me; here's a few:

'54 Chevy 3600 pick-up: "Old Grandad" - (truck was my g-father's)

'55 Chevy first-series 4400 dump truck: "Clifford the Big Red Dump Truck" - inspired by the kid's book "C. the Big Red Dog."

'89 Chevy 2500 PU: "Clifford Jr." - smaller cousin to Clifford TBRDT - C Jr is red too.

'62 Falcon Deluxe - "Thundersparrow"

'63 Mercedes 220sB - "Fafnir" (the dragon in Wagner's Ring Cycle)

'64 Valiant Convert - "Prince Valiant"

'60 Chrysler Windsor - "The Mighty Wind(sor)" (apologies to Christopher Guest and his folk music mockumentary); also know as "the Green Dinosaur".

'41 De Soto De Luxe - "the bucket" (from "Mr. Roberts"), "the old bus", "the Jalopy", "Old Smokey", "Kate" (Winslet in "Titanic" - resemblance to flying lady hood ornament)

'97 Jeep Grand Cherokee - "Eugene", "the Heep" (J pronounced as though in Spanish).

'61 Willys PU - "little Willie"

'61 Belvedere - "Mr. Belvedere", "Car 54"

'48 New Yorker - "the Flying Dutchman"

'41 Chevy Dump Truck - "the Immaculate Contraption" -the kids at Scout Camp came-up with that one ! crazy.gif

cool.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: R W Burgess</div><div class="ubbcode-body">West, What we have here is a lack of imagination! cool.gif </div></div>

You want imagination? Okay, I'll give you imagination...

Packard: "Big expensive car that drinks too much"

Saturn: "Small inexpensive car that is uncomfortable"

Freestar: "Overpriced family van that doesn't have the gonads to pull the skin off of pudding."

Scirocco: "Good handling car with a nice sound system"

Guest Steve_Heald

There's probably too much imagination here...

1908 Mora: Leota, named after the company founder's daughter.

1908 BrownieKar: Sam, named after the company founder's son.

1910 Breeze: Breezy, it's air-cooled.

1912 Maxwell: Minnie, she's too small to be Maxi.

1912 EMF: Emma, she's Every Man's Fantasy.

1981 Corvette: Cora, as in Cora-vette.

It's OK West. I have no imagination either.

We call our vehicles the following:

2007 Police Interceptor - The Police Car

2003 Chevrolet Tahoe - The truck

2000 Olds Silhouette Van - The van

1929 Model A Phaeton - The Phaeton

1964 Ford F100 - The F100

We do call a pretty screwed up 1929 Model A Sport Coupe that is temporarily residing in my garage "Lenny" after its recently departed owner. If you knew him, you would understand that screwed up sort of fits the car and the prior owner, which is why we named it after him.

I also fondly recall my mother sitting in the driver's seat of every station wagon our family owned between 1960 and 1980.... Holding the steering wheel with her left hand, pumping the accelerator pedal with her right foot, turning the key with her right hand and telling the car.... "Come on Suzie, Come on Suzie, you can do it." Sometimes it took a few repetitions before the engine started.

Guest De Soto Frank

(at the risk of picking on West,) it sounds like somebody woke-up on the wrong side of the grease-rack today... whistle.gif

I'm not claiming to be "George Bernard Shaw- clever" about nicknames that came-up with for my cars/trucks, nor have I given every vehicle I've ever owned a pet name...

Some vehicles seem to have more "personality" than others, and therefore warrant nicknames (same goes for people...).

And I forgot one:

my '59 Edsel Villager wagon: "Mr. Ed" (brilliant, eh ?)

1969 Chevy Malibu "Old Bess"

1971 Pontiac Catalina "Old Red" (guess what color she was)

1963 Chevy Biscane "Gerty"

1965 Buick Skylark "Tan Can" (guess what color she is). Not a lot of imagination on those either.

Current vechicle list:

1939 Dodge Deluxe (Rust) - "Pile of junk". smirk.gif

1963 1/2 Ford Falcon Sprint Convertible (Rangoon Red) - "Cherry Smash" (My favorite fountain soda when I was a kid.)

1994 Ford Taurus Station Wagon (Pumic) - "Willow" (Bill loves the show Buffy the Vampire Slayer)

2003 Chrysler PT Cruiser (Onyx Green Pearlcoat) - "Smudge" (Native Americans burn sage to smudge/purify and the PT is the color of sage.)

2004 Dodge 4X4 Quadcab Turbo Diesel pick-up truck (Bright red) - "Mongo" (If you have ever seen the movie Blazing Saddles you understand.) grin.gif

Guest De Soto Frank

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shop Rat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

2004 Dodge 4X4 Quadcab Turbo Diesel pick-up truck (Bright red) - "Mongo" (If you have ever seen the movie Blazing Saddles you understand.) grin.gif </div></div>

Is that Dodge's companion vehicle to their "Mandingo" SUV ?

grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: De Soto Frank</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is that Dodge's companion vehicle to their "Mandingo" SUV ? grin.gif </div></div>

Trying to figure that one out. Does someone you know call the Durangos Mandingos?

If so it's like the little neighbor boy my step-son knew that couldn't say pervert, it came out ferbert. "Mommy and Daddy told me to watch out for ferberts."

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm not one to nickname my cars... but my wife has the same nickname for most of my cars... she calls them my P.O.S. cars</div></div>

Been there, heard that. After seeing the restorations that we've done, those comments have ceased.

Back in July before we brought the Army Jeep home, I warned my mom that the Jeep that we were hauling home wasn't pretty by any means. Her answer to that was "you seem to forget that I've seen those cars before you started, and I've seen how they turned out, so I don't worry about that anymore."

20 years ago when we hauled the woodie home, my mom threw a fit when she saw that we had paid $2,600 for the car. After seing the finished product in the last issue of Antique Automobile, I don't see any problems getting our $2,600 back. In retrospect, my dad wished we could find 10 more of those cars at that price.

....If you wife saw New York rust, she'd appreciate the efforts that it takes to restore a vehicle.

Guest Debby Soucia

Our cars:

1927 Hupmobile "Humphrey" (needed a old name and it fit)

1938 Chrysler "Walter" (Walter Percy Chrysler made the car and a friend had a 1937 named "Percy" so I said ours was "Walter " Percy's younger brother)

1957 Ford Laundry "Bertha" (named when we got it)

1968 Chrysler 300 "Nellie" just called it that "come on Nellie you can make it home"

1968 Chrysler New Yorker "Bud" silver like a bud light can

1987 Caddy "Buttercup" aunt named it before she died and she loved Buttercups and the car is yellow

1967 Ford Ranchero no name yet

1975 Bricklin Gull-Wing no name yet only got these two this week

Hmm. Some are imaginative, others practical.

Old cars first.

The 1964 Starfires are "the green car" and "the blue car". The blue one is currently called rasselfrackel or worse because it refuses to run.

69 Toronado is the Lizard King or "His Lizardness". It has been called malignant by several friends!

74 Hurst/Olds is the Pace Car.

76 Ninety Eight is "the Big Car", for obvious reasons!

Drivers:

1987 Dodge Aries is the Killer K!

1978 Olds wagon is "Wagon". I often sing Neil Young's "Long May You Run" to it. It has 313k miles now.

1993 Ford truck is "the Ford truck"

1997 Olds Bravada is the "Blazer in Drag" or more often GM POS.

Ok, here goes:

1971 Chrysler 300 = Moe Par

1970 Chrysler 300 = Curly Par

1972 Dodge truck = Larry Par

1976 Olds Cutlass Salon = Schemp

1961 Chrysler Newport = Moby Par (considered Ahab, but has fins like the whale)

On another note, named two of our cats Mopar names: Sport & Scamp (Plymouth & Dodge "A" bodies), and newest cat is Shop Rag.

And no cat chasers allowed!! crazy.gif

Actually I'm quite fond of cats. I keep a collection. Every once in awhile we load some up in a box and go for a ride in the roadster. The passenger throws on out in front of the car and the driver tries to get him. Do you have any idea how hard it is to run over a cat in a car with 3" wide tires? shocked.gif

Seriously, I like cats but I can tell cat jokes with the best of them.

Okay, I tried to wake up on the wall side of the grease rack today.

I like cats with beans and rice. sick.gif

The reason I don't name my cars is because I have a hard enough time remembering the names of my wife and kids (and dog). I see no reason to complicate things any more.

Wife: Laura

Kids: David and Robert

Dog: deaf, blind in one eye, missing one leg, goes by the name of "Lucky." (I told that to my mother the day we got the dog... went right over her head like an F-18 Fighter sleep.gif) I guess I'll smoke the dog's muck in purgatory for that one! sick.gifsmile.gif

Wayne. Does your wife know you're taking Mike to the bars?