I am at a loss for words...another sad report

Steve Moskowitz

This is difficult for me to type. We have lost another long time DF'er. A guy that constantly jabbed me when he could and had me laughing at other times. One who believed in touring and driving and who loved AACA. He had a great passion for bringing the Western part of the country into AACA.

Dan Binger passed away this morning. Many of you knew him. I for one will always remember his last email to me two days ago asking for a "chubby XXL T-shirt". This is sad beyond words.

I never met Binger but just from the forums, I think I'd have liked him.

Steve, do you see now why I'm trying to get the prewar Olds folks interested in these forums? We are losing the people who know those cars intimately, and I believe their knowledge of them should be part of their legacy.

On another note, has anyone heard anything from Howard Scotland? I believe he and Binger were about the same age?

I just received the news about Dan in an email pertaining to Library business and I instantly came to the forum to see if the news was posted. I figured Steve would be "on the ball", as always.

I had the opportunity to meet Dan personally several years ago at the Annual Meeting in Philadelphia and we got along very well. We talked a long time in one of the Hospitality Rooms. Dan did love the AACA and had a honest concern in making the Western Division feel a part of the organization. Dan will be missed by many, including myself.

Dan provided much thoughtful input on the DF. At times, he could seem brash and a bit forward in his comments, but he always spoke his mind honestly. Although he might have outspokenly disagreed with someone, I never knew him to hold it personally against them. At various times, I received some very good advice from him.

Dan gave Di and I an open invitation to his home if we and the girls ever made it out west. I am sorry we did not get the opportunity to take him up on his offer.

Sad news for AACA and the old car hobby. Dan was a gem and one of our AACA legends. He will be greatly missed.

Terry

Dan was one of my best friends. Some of you may not know, but one of the reasons he was so passionate about AACA, his father was a National Director until his death back in the early '80s. I could take up a long reply with what he has meant to me and the fun we have had as AACA members, antique auto hobbiests, and fun loving friends, but let it be just said, we have all lost a great friend. Fortunately, Sally and I spend a couple of days with Dan and Judy just a couple of months ago and I will always cherish the photo of the two of us at some meet several years ago. Thank you Dan for being there for so many of us. Good by Big Bird, Ron

Guest imported_Bookreader

There is an emptiness in our hearts tonight. When we all wore our Buzzard Breath shirts on the Glidden Tour last week, all of us knew Dan would want to know about it.

To know that we will not receive one of Dan's phone calls, nor his E-mails, or walk through his many collections of things in his "garage," all of that seems unreal at this time.

We always say the best part of this antique car hobby is the friendship we have made across the country. For so many of us who knew Dan, for those who knew him through the Forum, for those who knew him by the title of "BIG BIRD" we have all lost a friend of AACA and of the hobby.

John and Fran Shore

That is a loss.

There were a few instances where I'd be kidding around and either rub him and/or Howard Scotland the wrong way, and Dan would politely e-mail me and let me know about it. Never a chance where he'd get mad at me as much as giving me a heads up that I stepped on toes so that I could take corrective action.

Two years ago I bought a truck while out to the AGNM in Northglenn, and my dad and I were having a tough time with the carrier getting the truck home. Dan took the steps to offer assistance to help us get the truck home.

Truly a loss for the Forum, and for AACA, but my heart also goes out to his good friend Howard.

Glenn, Howard and Dan were very close friends. I got an email from Howard this morning.

Funny how we all have our rememberances of "Binger". The one thread that runs throughout is that Dan always spoke his mind. He DID but he was also gentlemanly enough to pull back his words IF you proved your case.

Think I will hop in one of my cars this weekend and take a drive in memory of Dan..I think that would please him.

And drive Dan did. When I first met him in Colorado, I saw his black 1947(?) Chevrolet convertible out front of the hotel. He greated me with a warm smile and a hand-shake. He was taking a crew up to a restaurant "a little bit north" for some Rocky Mountain Oysters. I passed on joining them, but sure would have loved to go for a ride with him. frown.gif

Guest imported_carbadge

West,

Tracy and I were the "crew" that Dan and Judy were taking to Bruce's Bar for our initiation to "Rocky Mtn Oysters" that evening in Denver. Needless to say, we had a great time. Dan wouldn't have had it any other way!

When we received the call last evening, I made Tracy sit down to break the news to her. That big, old loveable man meant a lot to her, as he did to everyone he touched.

Safe Flight Big Bird!

Ron Barnett called me last night and gave me the sad news. I am still in shock. Dan emailed or called me weekly. We both shared a love for brass cars. In fact, we both own 1910 Model 42 Overlands. This past weekend Dan emailed me with some info about a tail light for my Overland and I called him on Monday of this week to discuss the light. He was on a tour driving his 1934 Chevy and having a great time. After discussing the tail light Dan started telling me about a tour he was putting together for 2008 in the Yellow Stone Park area. He wanted to know if I would come if he organized it. Of course I said that with that with this much notice I didn't see how I could refuse. Then he lit in on me about both of us attending the tour in Chattanooga, Tenn next year and how we should both drive a brass car. That was Dan, always helping friends and then trying to get them to drive their cars. Little did I know that that would be the last time I would talk with him. I will miss him terribly. There is a hole in the world today. We have all lost a true friend and a wealth of old car knowledge. I am sure we will think of him often.

My heart goes out to Judy and the family.

Paul Ianuario

Glenn: I have been gone from the forum for about 18 months, but am still alive and well, though terribly saddened at this time. I have lost a long time, dear friend and the car hobby has lost a great enthusiast and supporter.

Dan was too young for this to happen being 12 years younger than I.

He was attending an old car tour, but not driving, at the moment he left us, and it happened in an instant. We can take some comfort in knowing that he was doing that which he dearly loved, old car touring.

Although I do not plan on returning to the Forum, should there be any further information on Dan that is appropriate to be posted here, I will do that.

Howard Scotland

Howard, my dear old friend!!

How are YOU doing??

I knew you two were tight, and I am concerned about you just as much as I am with Dan's family.

Although you're not a 'new member' you're an old friend, and your presence on the forum and at the AACA meets has been greatly missed.

My computer crashed so I lost your e-mail address. WHen you get a chance, drop me a line.

I guess I first meet Dan at an Annual Meeting in Philadelphia, one of those guys that stood out in a group and made a lasting impression. When we arrived in Cheyenne for a National Meet back in the 1990's he was the first to meet & great us. He went on and on about all the local sights and places of historical note, I got the lasting impression he was very proud of those great open spaces.

Guest Hal Davis (MODEL A HAL)

I got the news from Rick Hoover yesterday. I was totally shocked. I never had the oportunity to meet Dan in person, but always wanted to. He was a friend noetheless. We both used to be a lot more active on the forum, back in the early days. Dan sold me a tail light for my TT a few weeks ago. It will always serve as a reminder to me of Dan.