two 1931 Buicks ??

Saminy

I posted previously on a 1931 Buick Model 94 asking for help decoding numbers. We have been moving the vehicles (and parts)(and more parts), hence the delay. Mr. Corbin said the engine number before did not match, and he was correct. That was a cast #.The stamped number by the oil filler is 2708593. If someone could give me their thoughts on that.

In addition, we also came across another 1931 Buick--Model 87 I think. I would appreciate anyone's thoughts on this as well. The stamped # by oil filler is 2735356. A cast # on upper motor is 1248873-3. Under passenger fender is 2583724. On a plate on the firewall is the following:

Fisher Body Detroit, Michigan

Job # 31059

Body#12735 31 Mod 8-87

Also, on the axel is 1913299.

A couple of general questions. What books, literature etc is available for these cars, and where is the best place to start looking? Particularly the Model 94. Seems to be a rare beast, eh?

I sincerely appreciate any help you might offer.

Sam

Guest DaveCorbin

Dear Saminy:

I went back to your other post, where you asked about a 1931 Buick with a frame number of 2,530,053. That Frame number was issued for a Model 94 and 2,708,593 is an engine for a 1931 80-90 series car at about the same point in the 1931 year production run, so I would conclude that the numbers DO match on this car.

I also checked the second frame number of 2,583,724, which Buick issued to a 1931 Model 87. The engine number of 2,735,356 also corresponds to a 1931 model 80-90 series car, and I am again confirming that the numbers match. Production of mdel 87's was 14,731 for USA and 38 for export.

You really have a rare pair here.

Regards, Dave Corbin

Guest imported_Thriller

I show 824 Model 94s built, so that is rare. If I count correctly, the 2005 BCA roster lists 18 model 87 and 6 model 94 with one 94X. With those sorts of numbers it is quite possible you may never see another one.

Sam,

I quick answer - are you planning to visit Hershey in October. If you are new to the hobby, you should plan at least a one day trip (you are somewhere in NY, so not too far away). Get the program and look for anything Buick, visit the BCA tent (and join). There are pleanty of books, etc. You should likely find Mac Blair (mostly '32 stuff but some '31 items.

John