original color

carrfixr

Welcome.

The first question would be, how far off is the shade?

With cars like that you have some judges that know them very well. So if it is just a smidge off you can most likely get away with it. Even in a factory no two batches of paint would be exactly alike. And newer paints can look different.

But if it is noticeably off you run the risk of getting a judge experienced in judging that year and make and you could lose points.

As Susan said, Welcome to the AACA Discussion Forum.

Also as Susan said, there is a chance of losing points if the color is obviously not correct for the car.

But there is a very simple and short answer to your question of:

"is the car eligible to be entered?"

YES, the car is eligible for entry into any AACA show.

Now, the bad thing is that if you have not yet entered it you are too late for the Deadline for Entry for this year's Hershey Show. Bring it on next year. Also, check out the calendar and feel free to enter it in some other shows in the meantime.

Mitch, without sounding offensive, did you register the car for Hershey prior to the August deadline??

There are some people who don't know that you have to pre-register your car for Hershey and if it isn't done, you can't just show up the day of the show and bring it in.

If the car is registered, bring it down and go for it. If you don't get the award that you were looking for, you can get a sheet from the Vice President of class judging showing the areas where you lost points. If you don't get the award, you should be able to figure it out. If you do get the award, who cares?? You can always try again either way.

no i missed the deadline but plan on going next year. ill be more prepared anyway. thanks all for the input, i have done real well showing the car on the local level such as buckingham, pa and newhope, pa car shows both taking 1st in the model A class and they use an aaca style judging format. here is a link to some pics if anyone is interested and thanks again

mitch

http://pictures.aol.com/galleries/carrfixr/

Mitch,

The only thing you might get points deducted is the firewall is black.

The color looks really close to Ford Maroon an orginal Model A color in 1930-31.

Alot of the paint formulas are off from the original color.

Kewanee Green, Chicle & Copra Drab are several Model A colors that look nothing like the original Ford color.

There's ALOT of variables when it comes to mixing paint, even how you apply it can change the hue.

I won't bore you with the details.. but I think you'll be OK color wise.

Agree-the color looks about right but the black firewall would be a deduction. Can't tell for sure but in some of the pics it also looks like you've got polished stainless or chromed? rain gutters??? They would also probably get a deduction as I'm pretty sure they should be black. Pretty car and I'm glad to see you went with the black wheels. It looks very elegant that way.

Terry

you are right i need to paint the gutters black they are silver now but the firewall will have to stay. my next model a i do ill make sure that mistake is not made. maybe the judges wont notice.lol. i also have fiberglass rear fenders as the metal ones for the tudor dont fit well. am i correct in saying that there are deductions for fiberglass, if so ill look for nos rear ones

mitch

It's kinda tough to tell but it appears that you have cad plated spark plugs rather than the correct black painted/black oxide finish. This would be a sure 4 point deduction in AACA competition. Fiberglas rear fenders would effectively put you our of the running for an award. The deduction is 40 points per component to a maximum of 120 points.

You're looking at this the right way. Fix as much as you possibly can. There is a thread on here that I started about how the little things can kill your chances of getting the award you want. One point can do it, just one is all it takes.

Sure, we all know about the cars that come on a rainy day and several don't show up so they get a higher award than they normally would. But chances are they won't go any higher until they fix the things that are wrong or need restored.

Guest windjamer

Just a little food for thought,sliping a color thats not quite right or a fiber glass fender that might sneek past an experanced judge might possably be considered missrepretation ( I know,its spelled wrong)Seams I read some place that could result in revokeing any award won and possable eviction from aaca. Please corect me if im wrong.

Wooooah folks-its gotta be fun! You don't need to tell the judge anything, and you won't get kicked outa AACA for having glass fenders - but if you have something on the car that you think might be questioned and would result in a possible deduction, it helps if you have some documentation in case there is a question. As a judge, I enjoy learning too. The team captain is the person you will be communicating with during the judging process, and you'll find it a friendly experience I'm sure. Recommend you read through the judging manual to get the proper perspective on it all, and if you have the chance before next Hershey, attend a juding school and plan on showing your car at a meet or two. There is an outstanding seminar presented at every meet especially for first timers and it really helps to understand how it all works.

Terry

windjamer,

okay so let me understand this, i restored my own car so i know every flaw, every part that did not fit just right etc, etc. i should make a list of these things and hand it to the judges so to not try and sneek anything through. i would think at the aaca level the color of a car or fiberglass would be picked up right away. so you reccomend turning in a list of defects so i dont get terminated later.

Mitch, fix whatever is wrong that you can fix, register the car for shows, and go for it. You don't have to tell the judges anything. They may or may not catch the fiberglass fenders, but probably will. I would do my best to replace them with steel as soon as possible. I would also try to repaint the firewall something close to the lower body color. Remember that on the Model A, the lacquer paint on the firewall was not rubbed out, so a duller paint finish is OK. You could probably mask everything off and do a quick spray can paint job over the incorrect black firewall. It would cost very little to make the firewall look acceptable.

MCHinson has a good point... It's very easy to spray the firewall..

Even once the car is together.

And I wouldn't make a list out either... There's no rule saying you have to tell the judges what's wrong with your car.

Keep in mind the judges will not catch everything.

I had a customer's car in the shop last week and the owner brought me the judging sheets from the past 2 AACA meets.

There were alot of inconsistencies between the 2 sheets. This judge caught that the grease fittings were painted and the other judge did not. Just food for thought!

I would also remove the stone guard on the radiator shell for judging.

For good original steel fenders I would try Bert's in Denver they have a huge stockpile of original sheetmetal.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mitch h</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...i know every flaw, every part that did not fit just right etc, etc.</div></div>

There are new cars sitting on car lots right now that have parts that don't fit correctly. You do the best you can when you restore a car. The real reason to restore a car is to preserve it for current and future generations to be able to see and appreciate automotive history.

...i should make a list of these things and hand it to the judges...</div></div>

Nope. The burden of finding items that require deductions is on the judging team. The burden of providing documentation in case an item is questioned is on the owner.

i would like to thank everyone for answering my questions and giving me some new ideas of things that i need to do. this forum was very helpfull and i read alot of the other posts and learned alot. god willing ill see ya all in hershey next year with a painted correct firewall also.

thanks mitch

Guest windjamer

Whoo,Mitch I didnt mean to open a can of worms, just wanted to stur the pot a little.Previous post are correct, you need not point out any flaws to the judge they will find most with out any help. Hell they might even find some that are not there, thats why you need documentation. Owners manual is nice to have. I just took the post to a little extreem to say deliberate cheating is unexacptable. Good luck and welcome.