Help...Steering Wheel....accident

Roadster90

I just had the unspeakable happen.....rear ended in the gray coupe ... hopefully.....major bumper/tail light damage, AND steering wheel/dash problems only...I need a very nice to pristine gray 1990 - 91 steering wheel...price is not a problem as exceptional to pristine is what I had, and that is what I want as a replacement.....please >>>> all suggestions - leads on a wheel gratefully appreciated...

Nic

***I have had several questions about why the steering wheel was involved in the accident. I saw the rear ender coming and goosed the accellerator and at the same time braced myself with my hands/arms on the steering wheel....the force on the wheel from my bracing was great enough to bend the wheel and crack the leather at the yokes very nicely frown.gif

Nic; It sounds as though you wern't hurt so that is great.

To all others...I have seen this Reatta and it is in winning Concours, d'Elegance condition. Simply perfect!!! The leather is as new because it was recently replaced and the body also looked new because it also has just been properly painted and is better than new condition. Everyone should have seen this car as it is a pristine example of the best maintained Reatta I have ever seen.

Sorry for the Reatta damage...really glad that you are fine. Paint and parts can be replaced. I know this car will be back on the road in better condition than ever. Robert

Robert my friend, many thanks for the very kind words smile.gif. The car was an exceptional 1990 specimen when I got it , but just not perfect enough for what I wanted at this point in my life. You and Jim Finn know just about everything I have done to the coupe...A LOT !!

I just came back from the GEICO adjuster and what I feared is happening....totaled frown.gif. I won't know a figure until tomorrow, but I can guess.

I just went out and looked at the car and damage AGAIN...was feeling sorry for myself and more than that...seems like I have gotten lazy. Some of you folks know me....heh heh heh....no way >>> they are getting away with it. May take a while, but winter is coming...I have a lot of time smile.gif.

Opps...still meant what I wrote about Missy and friends here though smile.gif. I have deleted the above post...

Thanks Bob....our tastes are much alike so anything you find and forward would certainly be appreciated.

Jon....interesting...I will research the Virginia Statutes and rulings for sure (I will be doing a lot of research). I have decided to pursue the adverse situation....

I would like to hear the outcome of other similar situations the board menbers have had....please respond....I may start another more appropriate titled thread....

I am expecting the "offer" call from the adjuster this morning and will post ......

My mother in law had a 1985 Pontiac that was totaled by the insurance company. She insisted on having it fixed since it only had 50k on it. Since I learned not to argue with my mother in law I went to work. She pretty much gave me a blank check.

Problem is most body shops do not want to take the time to look for old usable parts. They just want to called their supplier and have the new parts delivered.

I did find a body shop who was willing to work with me and came up with some parts that were not rusted. Bottom line car was returned to first class shape to the tune of $3000.00. She was pleased and car looks great.

I believe chances are you Reatta can be repaired if you take the time to locate good replacement parts and have a body shop willing to work with you.

Good Luck

Charlie

While being basically a nice to very nice guy, I have taken the insurance company to court and only squeezed an additional $500 out of them. The judge accepted 98% of what the insurance company said and 2% of what I said.

Unless you had an agreed value I think you should prepare for bad news.