16 way seat change

Guest steveskyhawk

Guest steveskyhawk

Hi All

Today I left my first post and two of my questions/problems are solved already!!!

I really wish my new car had the 16 way seat. I know it was an option. My original seats (saddle) are in great shape however i'd still like the better seats. Were both driver and passenger seats 16 way if you got the option? Has anybody removed the standard seat(s) and replaced them with 16 way? Is the wiring compatable? (plug and play?) Will a change like this increase or devalue the car in the future?

I may be Reatta crazy now. Other than an original 55 Chevy Nomad the Reatta is the only car I ever really wanted. The rest were tools.

Thanks in advance,

Steve, White 91 coup

Guest F14CRAZY

For the driver's seat, the wiring and all is already there, so a 16 way will bolt in fine.

I'm not positive if that's true for the passenger seat. You'd need to source some of it from a Riviera of the same era, because a passenger 16 way seat was an option for them but not the Reatta

Guest steveskyhawk

So all i really need is the Driver's seat? I can't sit over on the passenger seat anyway! thanks!!!!!!!!! I want what I want but the money is limited of course.

I've been told that the leg extension thing is really comfortable. Yes?

steve

91 white coup

F14 is correct the wiring is already in tact for the 16 way seat for the drivers side, but if you change the drivers side you will also need to change the other seat. The bolsters move in and out on the drivers seat but they look like dummy bolsters on the pass seat. Non 16 way seats are simply stiched.

I had a 1990 16-way seat driver's seat, with the controls moved to the right side of the seat (with a Riviera template), installed on my 1990 coupe.

All of the necessary electrical connections were there. Could it be that the Reatta and the Riviera share the same wiring harness?

post-33970-143137948498_thumb.jpg

Guest C.F.Massie

I have put a drivers 16 way seat on the passneger side of my 89 Red/Camel/Reatta, I had changed the controls to the right side using a switch pod I received from Mike Rukavina in Arizona. The pod looks the same as on the drivers seat except the legend is reversed for the passenger side, I believe it came from a Riviera. The wire harness in the Reatta is the same as in the Riviera, therefore the connectors are under the carpet on the passenger side also. Now I have the exact same 16 way controls on the passenger seat as on the drivers seat. If you cannot get a spare drivers seat you can use a Riviera passenger seat or drivers seat. If you want you can also convert your Reatta passenger seat by changing out the frame rail, it contains all the motors and air pump, with one from a Reatta drivers seat, or a Riviera drivers seat or passenger seat. You can probably pick up a frame rail from a salvage yard and I have seen them on eBay every so often. If you want to convert a Reatta passenger seat you can have all the controls available with the exception of the thigh support extension because the passenger seats thigh bolster would need some modifications to make it work. I tried both methods, I modified a Reatta passenger seat before I had the opportunity to pick up a spare drivers seat, either way it does work.