1963 Riviera VIN Numbers

Guest ZombyWoof

They were intermixed with all other Buicks. Hard to say.

If you go find the "FB" number off of the data plate (above the brake booster) you can see where your car was make in sequence from 1 to 40,000 in that model year. I've been told this does not work for other model years, but it does for the '63.

The same data plate also has the build date (week) in the upper left corner. First 2 digits are month (late months are in 1962 calendar year for 1963 model year and lower numbers are for 1963). Third character is a letter, A to E, representing first through fifth week of the month. That's as close to the build date (of the body, not of the final car assembly) that you can get.

I'd be curious what your '63 shows on the data plate, and also some build features on your car. (A clear, close up, photo would be great.) I'm keeping a small database to try to identify when various changes in production features occurred. If you would not mind, send me your data plate info and build features (such as smooth or ribbed dash, spare tire location, trumpet horn location, inside trim around windows painted or chrome, etc.)? Personal Message or e-mail would be great.

Thanks!

Guest ZombyWoof

Here's the scoop...

FB11676

Trim 717J2

Also on the plate:

ACC D 17K4 SU8

Ribbed dash

Spare mounted high

Don't have the trumpet horn...

Inside window trim painted...inside of "A" pillar (I think that's what everyone calls it) is chrome.

If the "FB" number is Riviera production sequence, does that mean the "7J10...etc" is the Buick production sequence?

Here are some pix, too...hope it helps.

ZW

post-53132-143137948411_thumb.jpg

post-53132-143137948415_thumb.jpg

post-53132-143137948419_thumb.jpg

post-53132-143137948433_thumb.jpg

<span style="font-family: 'Verdana'">Z.... W....

You have a very nice looking car from the pictures you sent.

As Jim Cannon said, the FB number for 1963 Rivieras is the sequence number for that model, Yours was the 11,676th one built out of 40,000. In my recollection, that number seem to be very early for a shelf mounted spare. Is your spare tire cover a full cover or a partial one?

The 7J is the beginning of the VIN for a model 7 (Riviera) J (1963)

The other letters are the Accesory letters. Fisher body had to know what modifications to make to a standard body for certain options, usually they had to do with the car from the firewall back.

D - radio (had to run a wire to the back seat area) Is there a number after the D? 1 - AM manual antenna, 2 - AM electric antenna, 3- AM Wonder Bar w/ manual antenna, and 4 - AM Wonder Bar w/ electric antenna. It's possible that this wasn't necessary on the trim tag because the antenna was ahead of the firewall.

I7 - tinted windows (Letter I, not a number 1; perhaps it's the font the forum uses that makes your I look like a 1)

K4 - the rear window defroster

S(7?) - Remoter control mirror

U8 - power windows and power vents. (U6 is windows, U7 is vents, U8 is both)

Does your car have the remote trunk release? A rather large vacuum pump in the glove box.

I am assuming this car was delivered to a Northern state; it doesn't have air conditioning, but it does have a rear window defroster. I can't see what wheel covers you have, but it looks like your car was a special order - well equipped for a particular environment - it apparently didn't get hot there.)

Thanks for sharing.

Ed</span>

Excellent!!! Thanks!

The one thing I'd like to ask you to look at the data plate for: the month/week of build. From your FB number I would predict it to say "12B" in the upper left corner of the plate. (This body number is very close to the end of week #1, though so it might say 12A.) Please look for me again when you have a minute and tell me which it is.

Have you ever looked at how the spare tire mounts up on the shelf? Does it seem to be factory, or someone thought it was a good idea to move it up there? (Perhaps because they saw it there in another model year.) Any sign of an anchor loop on the trunk floor, to the right?

I agree with Ed, you have a beautiful car there!

Guest ZombyWoof

Here's the plate...standing by for further diagnosis, which I'm greatly enjoying! What I posted last night was from what I wrote in a notebook the day I bought the car, so I hope it was correct...

I'm in Vancouver, Canada, so that would explain the no ac/defroster options...

Thanks again for the comments...just holding the car together till I don't have to buy diapers any more.

I'm sure I've also forgotten to answer a question or two...

post-53132-143137948511_thumb.jpg

Great photo!

OK, from this you can tell that the body was built in the first week of Dec. 1962 (12A - I knew that was a possibility), and the factory exterior color was Arctic White (that's the CC).

Interior from factory was "optional" custom blue cloth and vinyl (so it looks like the interior in the photos is original).

Glad to hear the tire is on the trunk floor; I would have had a hard time explaining that one!

When you look at the side view mirror on the driver's door, from the driver's seat, would you say you look at it through the vent window or through the main side door window? In other words, is the mirror mounted pretty forward on the door (look through vent window glass) or more back on the door (look through regular window glass)?

I think that's the last question for you.

Guest ZombyWoof

I look at side mirror through the window...wasn't aware some were mounted much more forward.

Here's another pic.

I may have another question about the ID plate codes, once I finish de-compressing from work!

Also tossing in another pic of my engine colour..I have another thread going with "wuzzup with this colour".

ZW

post-53132-143137948769_thumb.jpg

post-53132-143137948776_thumb.jpg

This is all good.

Thanks.

The side mirror was moved more forward on the door in late '63 and kept there in '64 and '65. Many people complained that the original location was too difficult to see into, especially if the seat was run forward. (I don't have that problem; I drive with the seat all the way back.) Because door skins are so easy to remove and swap around, early 63 Rivs are often found with the mirror up forward.

Your engine paint is the original silver for the '63 Riv, showing its age.

The exterior of your car looks great. I must compliment you on a beautiful car.

ZW;

In today's mail, I just received three samples of "silver" engine enamel from Aervoe Mfg. I had a can of the silver that they sold to Classic Buicks and I bought from Classic Buick some years ago. I looked at Aervoe's website and found that they no longer produce that color. I also ordered what Classic Buick now sells as the same part number, but it's a different color than what I orginally bought a few years ago. Aervoe sent me three different shades of silver engine enamel, one of the three is the same as a new can that I just bought from Classic Buick. It's their part #575 and it's called dull aluminum. The original color didn't have a name on the can (Classic Buicks may have removed it or used a different cap.) It does not have the same UPC code as the original. The new UPC code ends in 575, the original ended in 500.

I received an email from Classic Buicks a couple of days ago with an answer to my inquiry about the change in product but their use of the same part number. They told me "the part number from the manufacturer changed but the color is the same." That's NOT the same answer I got from Tech Support people at Aervoe.

What this all boils down to for me is trying to find an example of the orginial 63 engine silver so I can make some comparisons and see which of the three colors I now have is a match or which is closest to the original silver paint that Buick used on its 63 Riviera engines. The silver engine was a one year, Riviera only paint scheme. 64 and 65 Rivs used the Buick Green that was shared with all the other models and had been used since the introduction of the V8 back in 1953. I have some factory brochures that show the silver engine, but I don't know how well the ink in the brochure replicates the acutal paint color.

If your car has a green engine, I'd compare the VIN number on the block to the VIN number on your title / cowl. Here's a link to show you where to find the engine numbers.

http://www.buicks.net/shop/reference/engine_ident_where.html

If your engine is a 63, it will have a J as one of two engine ID numbers. The other ID will be either a W for a 425 or a T for a 401. The years coincide with the alphabetical; Use J for 63 and you can go forward and back from there (F=59 through M=66)

Sorry to have run on about the paint issue, but I'm now confused. I buy the same part number from the same vendor, but get a different color. I wanted to touch up the engine, not repaint the whole thing.

Ed

Guest ZombyWoof

Jim / Ed...thanks for continuing this conversation.

Not sure how the picture is showing up on your end, but in the flesh, it's always been a metallic blue-green...never anything close to Buick Green...numbers match, as well.

I've had the car since '81. The engine was an awesome colour then, but yes, it's fading...I have no reason to believe it's been changed, but of course, I can't rule that out. If I hadn't have seen other '63 engines with this colour, I would assume a repaint, but I can't go for that theory yet!

Would anyone know if other Buicks got a metallic blue-green? I'm doing my detective work here, too.

If it was a factory fluke, I'd like to keep it that way when it gets re-painted. In a way, it would break my heart to have it any color other than when "we met". (Yeesh...don't let your wives or girlfriends see that!)

Again, thanks for the compliments on the car. The pictures hide the flaws...like I said earlier...till I don't have to buy diapers any more!

ZW

ZW-

Check out these pictures from our member in Sweden and compare his side mirror placement to yours. Then you'll see what I mean about looking through the window or the vent.

https://lagring.storegate.se/user/Pictur...fb-b0c07b3e4332

This car is late enough to have the spare mounted up on the shelf.

• 3 years later...
Guest alleyski

I'm tryiong to buy a 63. The person has no papers on the car. Says he bought it and had the engine rebuilt then lost his shop. Parked it at home and lost papers over the years. Never registered it in his name. He believes previous owner registered a release of interest with DMV.

The vin is 7J1102643.

Any help on identifying car? How about paperwork needed to get registration rolling?

Thanks,

Allen

Have your state's motor vehicle department run the vin, or the plate number if it has plates on it. They should be able to tell you who it is registered to.

Also, you should start your own thread for this question. A lot of people will look at the original post date of 2007 and not bother to read any farther.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a cowl tag to add to the data base:

04B (second week April 63)

style 63 -4747

FB 28,799

Trim 798J2 (Deluxe saddle leather int)

Acc D (radio - has factory electric antenna)

S7 (Remote mirror)

I7 (Tinted glass)

U7 (Power windows)

Paint RR (Desert Sand)

Someone mentioned earlier that U7 was power vent windows, however I believe that U6 is power vents, U7 is windows and U8 is both.

This car has the upper mount spare (which I can't fit any more modern tire up into...)

Dean Koehler

Beaverton, OR

On my '63's window sticker, the code for power vents is U6 and the windows are U7. My data plate reads U8.

Compare the picture of the window sticker and the data plate. (You'll see they match, FB18733 on both.) This will give you an idea of all of the options that could be on a car and NOT appear on the data plate.

Ed

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

For your data bank:

My 63 (see FB above) has:

Matching number engine & VIN with Rochester 4 jet carb

ribbed dash

forward mounted door remote mirror

high spare

AND

leaky windshield and rear window at no extra charge (working on that now...)

• 5 months later...
Guest hugomlpz

Hi everone this is my first time here.

I just bought a 63 Riviera can you help decode the trim? its a 736 SS

I've been reading all the comments and I've got the style and Acc.

Thanks!!

post-79643-143138690318_thumb.jpg

EDIT: Sorry, I didn't realize there were 2 pages of posts here and these were answered already.

-BEPNewt

--------------------------------------------

I believe the SS is Bronze Mist exterior color and I7 is tinted windows.

I6 = Soft Ray tinted glass

Sources:

1963 Buick Riviera Paint Codes

http://forums.aaca.org/f177/1963-riviera-vin-numbers-235883.html

1963 Buick Riviera Optional Equipment

-BEPNewt

Guest middleman

I'm at a real disadvantage to not have access to the car right now but it looks like the engine ID is front and center between valve covers and directly behind the coolant inlet? Not sure how I missed seeing it. Thanks for the link.

JB