54-55 dynaflow differences

Guest kevinshea

Guest kevinshea

I have a 54 and a 55 dynaflow.. the 54 operates without any detents in the shift arm, while the 55 does have detents... is this "normal"

I was told that the 54 has the detents in the steering column.

Guest imported_MrEarl

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kevinshea</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a 54 and a 55 dynaflow.. the 54 operates without any detents in the shift arm, while the 55 does have detents... is this "normal"

I was told that the 54 has the detents in the steering column. </div></div>

The 54 has detents in the steering column. An illustration on page 183 of the 54 Shop Manual shows the detent lever and plate in the steering column jacket.

The 55 detent lever is located in the transmission Rear Bearing Retainer. An illustration on page 193 of the 1955 Shop manual shows this.

Perhaps after you complete your Sky you will write a comprehensive "54-55-56 Dynaflow Differences Manual". smile.gif

Guest imported_MrEarl

Finally found my 55 Product School Manual. Now how did it get down to the barn. crazy.gif

anyway, it says:

Dynaflow transmission controls are completely new for 1955. In order to streamline the steering column, the directional signal switch has been redesigned , the shift control is completely new <span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">and the shift detent assembly has been moved from the steering column to the rear bearing retainer</span></span>. The shift indicator has been relocated farther down the mast jacket just in front of the instrument panel.

I just love those school manuals in determining changes from year to year. smile.gif

Guest kevinshea

Lamar/Tank

excellent information... it does seem that I am getting my education on these trannys... so now I have a 54, a 55 and a 56.

Anybody need a 55 or 56 tranny?